Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bike Stand – Portable through-BB type
  • AlexSimon

Can someone recommend me a cheap bike stand that has a rod to go through the bottom bracket?

Need: Stable.
    Don’t particularly need: Folding

deadkenny
    Free Member

Home

Not sure about cheap though. Seem expensive for just a bit of bent metal and support.

AlexSimon

Yep, I’d seen those, but thought it looked like about £25 worth.
    I’d make one if there isn’t a good one at <£30

This is more like it and it’s made by Shimano so must be ok no?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-Bicycle-Bottom-Bracket-Mounted-Cycle-Cycling-Bike-Repair-Stand-/302382459704?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

BoardinBob

Andy stands are great. I’ve got 4. 3 of the fixed ones for storing the bikes at home plus a folding one lives in the van.

deadkenny
    Free Member

This is more like it and it’s made by Shimano so must be ok no?

made by Shimano?

I see other listings add Shimano to the description but looks like these make it…

https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/en-gb/accessories/Bike_Stands/PRO_TL_BBWORKSTAND

AlexSimon

Yep – that’s Shimano. They make Stems/Bars/seatposts/etc under the Pro name.
    Look at the list of distributors on that page and you’ll see.

You can even click through to Pro from the Shimano page here: https://cycle.shimano-eu.com/

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cool, cheers. Does look decent enough and good price. Not sure how it folds, at least not without taking that bolt out, but guess that’s not much of a faff.

Been interested myself and know some with Andy Stand, but as said the price is a bit high for what it is.

Designed for Hollowtech 2, but assume it would work with GXP BBs also as same/similar size. And the new SRAM DUB… ? Think it’s bigger anyway so not an issue.

snaps
    Free Member

Yep that Andystand is to expensive for what it is – I might knock up something with copper plumbing fittings or metal conduit.

sillyoldman

Deadkenny – no need to remove the bolt – that’s the axle for the folding mechanism.

AlexSimon

I’m surprised there aren’t more of these things about.

simondbarnes

Minoura do one @ £40

AlexSimon

Ah – well found. Here is an amazon link:

Like the look of this one tbh – the adjustable height might be useful

AlexSimon

Found it for £27.99 from Ebay so I’ve taken a punt on it.
    I’ll report back.

ajantom

These are better (and cheaper!)
    Decathlon Stand

The BB ones will only work on bikes with hollow axles, no square taper, and will only go on one side.
    I prefer the Decathlon one as it works with all bikes and you can have it on either side.

*edit – ok might not work with an Orange FS!

simondbarnes

Doesn’t that Decathlon one get in the way of turning the pedals?

ajantom

Not on any of my bikes (3 hardtails, 1 full sus and 2 road bikes)
    you can adjust the hook height so it sits further forward or back on the chainstays.

AlexSimon

I already have one like that, and it doesn’t properly fit 3 of the bikes I have any more. Bird Aeris, Boardman CX and Maverick ML7/5.

Chainstays/seatstays are just less predictable than they used to be!

That’s the whole reason to look for one of these BB ones.
    The 2 other bikes that it wont fit (92 Orange Clockwork and Islabike), work perfectly with the old stand, which I’ll keep too.

DrP

I’ve got one of the PRO bike stands that are like a fork that holds the rear axle. Trouble is, though it’s the 29er version (makes sense as axle will be higher) it doesn’t fit 2/3 of my main bikes as they have chainstay brake mounts!

Just taken a punt on the PRO bike BB stand – should be fine!

DrP

AlexSimon

My Minoura stand arrived today and I’ve just set it up and tested it with a few of my bikes.
    Works well!

Tries to fold up if you lift it by the collar which isn’t great for one-handed re-positioning, but fits all my non square-taper cranks (Shimano, Race Face Cinch and BB30 FSA) with the only caveat being that my FSA road cranks on my Boardman have a self-extracting nut on the non-drive side, so I can only use the stand on the drive-side – so not as easy to spin the pedals. Still holds the bike well though.

It’s adjustable height and angle which is pretty cool. Seems very stable.

Definitely worth the £27.99 I paid, but I’m not sure I’d pay RRP versus that cheap PRO one.

Hope that helps someone!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bike Stand – Portable through-BB type’ is closed to new replies.