Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • bike shop in bath
  • Ringo
    Free Member

anybody recommend me a good bike shop with a work area in the centre of bath please
    cheers

peteimpreza

Johns Bikes, Walcott Street.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

By work area, I guess you mean work shop? What kind of work are you looking to have done?

John's do have a dedicated work shop in Walcot Street.

Can I be the first to plug our newest though, opened on Saturday:

Cadence

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Ringo
    Free Member

My mate lives in bath and he owns a giant Yukon. He took it to a shop who said he needs a new chainset, they have quoted him £200 for the parts. All he needs is a deore or something I think that quote he was given is a pisstake

ojom
    Free Member

A chainset 'fit' will require a new chain, you would also suspect a BB fit and diligently you would face etc seeing as a new deore would come with the BB and there is no point installing one without making sure it's all good.

The chain will need sized and mechs will need indexed.

I can see how that could get to £200.

An XT chainset on it's own would be near £200, not a Deore. Worth double checking what's actually being quoted.

JoeNation
    Free Member

If you need a new chain you'll need a new cassette too.

John's is the best for MTBs in Bath. Avon Valley (underneath the train station) is good for Giants and folders, and there's a swim/bike/run shop just up the road from John's if you like Spesh.

colande
    Free Member

rrp on deore
    cassette £37
    chain £22
    chainrings;
    22t £10
    32t £15
    44t £28

which would be £112 at full rrp

or with a complete new deore front crank/bb £137

so not far after complete installation

ojom
    Free Member

If you need a new chain you'll need a new cassette too

Assuming the chainset is being replaced for wear reasons yes. If damaged or broken in some way then not necessarily.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Cadence; only 5 mins walk from the office and I didn't even notice it appearing. Will have to pop up at lunchtime.

llamafarmer
    Free Member

Cadence; only 5 mins walk from the office and I didn't even notice it appearing. Will have to pop up at lunchtime.

Same here, it's almost on my doorstep and I use the shops in Chelsea Road all the time, but had no idea it was opening 😆

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Well, that's a good looking shop in a nice building. A familar face behind the counter for those used to going into John's. Didn't buy anything…this time. All the best to them.

llama

John's bikes workshop are very helpful

never had any work done by AVC

not been to Cadence yet – seems to be a load of ex John's employees – brave move hope it works for them

And there is that odd place in Weston village, not been there but heard a good report. Oh and halfords.

Total fitness has closed down (not that they really had a workshop).

jonnych
    Free Member

John's bikes are very expensive usually but you get what you pay for

AVC are pretty good on price and service but check out Hares in Weston for the best price, quality and service.

Total fitness haven't closed, just moved a couple of doors up into a bigger shop. Sounds like i need to check out Cadence as well!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Sounds like i need to check out Cadence as well!

I hope everyone remembers to tell Will and Johnny that I sent them 😉

llama

That explains total fitness (well, they could hardly move to a smaller shop!)

So thats 5 shops to choose from ….

Will they charge us more if we tell them you sent us Andy?

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Long time no see llama, see you at Tasso's HoSC hopefully.

Will they charge us more if we tell them you sent us Andy?

Commission. Now there's an idea!

Yep. Just tell them "Andy said charge me 10% extra and credit his account"

Free tea and cake as well..

..if you'd called in Saturday 😉

jonnych
    Free Member

Checked out Cadence today, in my opinion one of the nicest bike shops in Bath! Good range of products there and very friendly owners, workshop prices seem quite reasonable and the feel of the whole shop seems really easy and fresh if that makes any sense?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘bike shop in bath’ is closed to new replies.