Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike shop balls up – does it matter?
  • mlke
    Free Member

I had a Newcastle bike shop replace the rear Fox Float bushings on my old Marin Mount Vision. I picked it up yesterday, chucked it in the car and noticed at home that they've fitted the shock on upside down. Doh!
    Does it matter in terms of function?
    Is it gonna be straightforward to rectify? I really can't be bothered to drive back to the shop to make "thicko" faces at them.

myheadsashed

It may or may not strike the frame….I would let the shop know before riding it and get it swapped back so it is the correct way round.

stumpy01

If u know your shock pressure settings, then deflate the shock & move the suspension through it's range to see if anything interferes, before re-inflating shock.

It's an easy enough job to swap it round, but probably worth informing the shop of their blunder.

mlke
    Free Member

Thanks for that. It seems to move without fouling anything.
    It's slightly annoying to have it say Fox upside down but maybe I can live with it.
    Perhaps I'll make some cobblers up to tell folk who notice it. "yeah, yeah, I know but Marin advise elite riders to reverse the shock to sharpen compression damping in competitions…" etc

5lab

having the piggy back underneath would lower the center of gravity on the bike? pretty minimal though

warton
    Free Member

who was it, if you don't mind saying. A clue would suffice

mlke
    Free Member

Clue mmmmm there's a city in the shop name and it's not Newcastle.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why don't you just remove it and refit the right way up?

piha
    Free Member

Get the bike shop to sort it out as it is their mistake. Therefore if you have a problem with it in the future then you take it back to them. If you do the work then your warranty is void.

ianpinder
    Free Member

cant you just turn the shock round yourself?

warton
    Free Member

Mike, aah ok, no surprises there then! try the bike place, or cyclelogical for mechanics in future mate, both are very good at fixing stuff!

stevomcd
    Free Member

If it's a Fox Float, it doesn't matter even the tiniest wee bit. If you care about the looks, swap it yourself. Don't take it back to the shop, they'll point and laugh.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I would take it back and say its not right – 1 reason – you paid for it to be done right. Second the mechanic may do it again esp on a bike which might be fowled by the shock. You don't have to be nasty just say you would like it sorted 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike shop balls up – does it matter?’ is closed to new replies.