Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bike selling etiquette
  • mahalo

Frame for sale on pinkbike.

Offer accepted, little bit under full asking. Spoke to the guy to arrange collection etc. All good.

Next day. Someone else offers full asking price.

Have I already sold it to the first guy or would it be reasonable to tell him he’s been usurped??

Ta

iamanobody
    Free Member

sold to first bloke

weeksy

Aye, agreed. Sometimes hard to swallow, but you have to be good to your word.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bonzodog
    Free Member

Offer accepted

You said it yourself.

plus-one

Gentleman’s agreement. First bloke has it

MrSparkle

Come on, you know what’s the right thing to do. A deal is a deal.

koldun
    Free Member

Rule #1 innit.

matt_outandabout

Rule No.1.
    Don’t be a d…

klunky
    Free Member

Have you taken a deposit?

I would not pass up a sale unless I had some sort of certainty that the buyer 1 was collecting.

dogbone

little bit under full asking.

£0 – £30 – why even ask on here

£30-£60 – annoying but I would assume a deal is a deal

£60 – £100 – grey area. Collection already arrange then suck it up.

£100+ – go back to first buyer and explain (can he match full price).

mahalo

ha, thanks for the responses. this was my general feeling too.

it borders on annoying & grey area – but deals a deal innit

nealglover
    Free Member

I would go back to the guy who’s offer you had accepted and tell him about the second offer and make sure he still wants it and is 100% going to show up and pay/collect.
    Gives him a chance to let you know if he is having 2nd thoughts, and an easy out if he wants it.
    If not, then sale agreed and rule 1 applies 👍

Blackflag
    Free Member

I would go back to the guy who’s offer you had accepted and tell him about the second offer and make sure he still wants it and is 100% going to show up and pay/collect.
    Gives him a chance to let you know if he is having 2nd thoughts, and an easy out if he wants it.
    If not, then sale agreed and rule 1 applies 👍

This. Plus tell the other guy that you already have an offer on it and that if the first guy is a no show then you are OK to sell.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I am a dick, and in this case, bloke no1 may well change his mind, it happens all the time. First to turn up with the money gets it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Exactly what I’ve done in past, last time was for a shock and the original buyer did drop out.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Too many years of being messed around by people ‘definitely having it’ to not pay or show, so its simple.

First one who pays, gets it.

andrewh
    Free Member

Should go to the first chap but this

Too many years of being messed around by people ‘definitely having it’ to not pay or show

Maybe just say to second chap he’s got first dibs if other guy doesn’t show up.

Bez

On rare occasions I’ve accepted a low offer for something with the explicit caveat that if someone offers full price before they pay (or by the end of the day, or whatever) then I’ll go with that.

If I’ve simply accepted the offer, as is more often the case, then I’ve accepted it and it stands.

If someone else then offers more I’ll trll them it’s sold pending payment but if the first buyer goes cold then I’ll get back to them.

You can play it how you want but you just need to be clear beforehand so everyone has the same expectations. Moving the goalposts after accepting an offer violates Rule no. 1.

singletrackmind

Explain the offer to the first guy.
    Tell him you are a man of your word and will sell him the frame, but only if he pays you within 24hrs.
    Put 2nd guy on hold for 24 hrs, explain situation and let him know as soon as the first guy pays, or doesn’t.
    I hate it on wheeler dealers where Mike puts up the price of the car as he has had offers over the Internet for more than the asking, suck it up buttercup you mispriced it. Not the same as this but the principle is.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not a gentleman’s agreement (see dogbone) but a contract in law.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

As said above you do the right thing go with the first person and in a lot of cases wish I have never done that has they really piss you around happy days some people are great.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Like selling a car, the first to put cash in my hand gets it, the first offer might renegade and I have had lots of people do that to me before.

If the guy with the first offer picks it up first he gets it at the price agreed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not a gentleman’s agreement (see dogbone) but a contract in law.

Iirc a contract is only formed when consideration is exchanged, i.e. when its paid for. Up untill that point you have an agreement which isnt the same thing.

Cheezpleez

Hacksaw through the frame, lure both buyers to a remote location, blindfold them and zip tie them together, then flee the country. Simples.

singlespeedstu

If buyer 1 had paid it’d be his.
    If not it’d go to buyer 2 if he could pay straight away.
    It’s not sold until you’ve been paid…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bike selling etiquette’ is closed to new replies.