Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike Security Marking; Worthwhile??
  • robgarrioch

Seeing the depressingly more frequent theft posts, does anyone have / use a tagging system (eg. Datatag) or similar? Do you reckon it’s worth doing?I’ve had it on all my motorbikes over the years, but don’t think it would prove much of a deterrent to push-bike thieves. On the other hand I hate to think of some scrote getting any sort of pleasure via someone elses hard-earned wheels and would rather there was some way the bike could be traced back.

grumm
    Free Member

How do these things work?

robgarrioch

As I remember, you get a vial of gluey liquid, which has uniquely numbered ‘micro-dots’ in – these can be scanned by a (police) reader; question is how many have a reader.
    Googling it, theres an official looking site, “Bike Register” which employs the same thing.

JohnnyPanic

Had my bikes nicked Tuesday morning and one of them was marked, registered with bikeregister and datatagged.
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/first-post-amp-its-a-sad-one

If I get it/them back i’ll let you know.
    Not expecting miracles though.

Bikeregister put you on their database – available to the police.
    You get an etching kit – chemically stains the paintwork with a unique number & a freephone tel no. to ring.
    You can also pay for the microchip. It’s supplied with some 2 part epoxy and you glue it somewhere inside your frame where it can’t be found or extracted easily.

And hey – you also get stickers…

robgarrioch

Thanks JP – was your thread that lead me to consider if it really helps. Hope so in your, and all other, cases.
    Stickers eh..? How much do they weigh though 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

its no deterrent at all but IF it is recovered then you SHOULD get it back. however as the frame is only a part of the bike and they are easily split up and sold on I don’t think its worth it to be honest. locking them up inside your house / garage is a bigger deterrent

JohnnyPanic

“How much do they weigh though”
    It’s not the weight, it’s the air resistance that gets you. 🙂

And next time, i am going to go a bit overboard with the security in the garage but for now have just done what the police suggested. Drilled 3 10mm holes in the bottom lip of the garage door and 1′ down into the concrete floor. Dropped some steel rod in there. Could still be forced open but not without making a hell of a noise pulling it of it’s hinges..

robgarrioch

Yeah, not too worried about losing the bike from the garage, contents insurance etc., + home area’s fairly safe. More if it got lifted while out somewhere. Not sure I want to draw attention by fitting mucho security to the garage door, though some form of anchor to lock the frame to is on the cards. Either way, it’s the possibility it can be traced back that appeals.

JohnnyPanic

Found this also – http://www.immobilise.com/
    Free apparently.

“Not sure I want to draw attention by fitting mucho security to the garage door,”

That bolt idea I posted above, the holes are on the inside lip of the garage door. Can’t be seen from outside unless you get down on your knees and peek.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike Security Marking; Worthwhile??’ is closed to new replies.