Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bike seats for kids. What’s best?
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’d like to get out on the bike with my 11 month old. He’ll be getting a balance bike for his birthday but I want to get a seat of some sort to take him on my bike too. Both my hardtail and cx bike have all the usual rack mounts etc. but I’m unsure which type of seat I should be looking for. I like the look of the ones where they sit in front of you and get to hold on to their own handlebars. Has anyone any experience of these? Thanks

jam-bo

Mac ride is great but might be a bit small for it at 11 months.

TiRed

Where are you based? Have a rhode gear taxi with Blackburn rack I’m ready to recycle. Used it on the tandem when son2 was about 10% of his current weight!

Rubber-Duck

We have just sold our Weeride. It’s been great for our kids from 11 months until they were 5!
    It’s a front mounted one, between the head tube and seat tube. It’s ideal as the bike is still neutrally balanced you can chat and share the riding experience with your child and you can take the bike off road without worrying about them getting whipped around on a rear mounted version. From experience of both types the front mount one is best by far.

ibnchris

The hamax ones are pretty good and if you have a Lidl near you they seem to be doing a copy for £30 which seems a bargain

breadcrumb

We started off with a Wee Ride, it was good when little miss breadcrumb was smaller as she was strapped in (she would easily still fit it now) but it didn’t really fit my FS bike. So I bought a Mac-Ride, no longer strapped in but she has enough strength to grab the handle bars now.
    The Mac-Ride allows her to move around and stand (absorb bumps).

The WeeRide was fiddly to keep fitting and removing from a bike were as the Mac-Ride is seconds once you have the special headset spacer fitted. 11 months would be a bit too young though.

Also I wouldn’t really recommend a front carrier on a drop bar bike, you may struggle to reach the controls properly.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Got a mac ride it’s great. Maybe the stirrups could be a bit longer but it’s really good.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’d get a 2nd hand front mounted one before spending too much money. I couldn’t get on with the weeride at all, just didn’t like the legs out cycling position.

I much prefer the rear mounted seat. We picked up a 2nd Hamax Siesta and got the rack mount for it. Seems to affect the handling a lot less on the rack mount. Has it’s own spring suspension too so it’s not too bumpy.

I’d be very surprised if an 1 year old is old enough for a balance bike, but look at the ToddleBike / Lena bike which our daughter has loved (mostly for indoor use):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lena-07168-Scooter-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B00XXZRDI6

nixie

We used a weeride for botth daughter’s from 1 to 3 ish. Both of us and them got on fine with it. Keep meaning to list it and the second bar for ‘recycling’. (Stealth add if anyone near Southampton wants one it’s for sale).

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I’ll keep an eye out for a weeride on gumtree and give it a go.

escrs
    Free Member

Been using a front mounted Thule mini nexxt for the last year or so, been great, easy to swap between bikes if you buy the extra stem mount, can be locked onto the mount for added security

The boy loves being upfront and being able to see everything going on and helping with the steering and ringing the bell

https://www.mantel.com/uk/thule-yepp-next?spec%5B%5D=114&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Jeq_tXw4QIVzb3tCh1HaAaEEAQYBSABEgK_1fD_BwE

DT78
    Free Member

weerides here for my two. eldest is about to turn 4 and just about fits in.

I have problems with my knees hitting the chair. ive bought pedal axle extenders which have helped a bit.

thinking about switching to a rear carrier for school commute as once boy has been dropped off I can cycle normally rather than knees out. I have a short commute but some nasty steep climbs which the weerides gets in the way

DT78
    Free Member

balance bike wise get a toddlebike I bought a strider for my boys 1st but it didn’t really get used till 18months as too big / heavy. toddlebike was used as soon as it turned up

mashr

As above, toddle bike then balance bike later works a treat.

Seat-wise, got a WeeRide at the moment but looking to get a Shotgun in the near future. Very similar to a Mac Ride but even easier to take on/off: https://kidsrideshotgun.com/

Oh, and it’s also a chunk cheaper

DT78
    Free Member

like the look of that shotgun. 120gbp though. double the price of a weerides. plus if your little ones are anything like mine they like to see what the levers do….

mashr

Shotguns/MacRides are very different to WeeRides though. WeeRides are great because they can use them pretty quickly, but they aren’t comfy at all on rough ground. Shotguns/MacRides are much more useful for slightly older kids wanting to ride real trails

TiRed

Well mines going free if anyone wants to collect it. Otherwise off to Re-cycle.

cobrakai

We had a rear mounted one for when she was very little.

As soon as I though she was old enough for it we got a mac ride. Fantastic bit of kit. Literally seconds to put on and remove.

Because she has to hold on, use her core muscles for balance and can see me using brakes etc, she is pretty handy on her cnoc14. Loves the local pump track!

Best thing for you as a rider is not having an uncomfortable wide leg riding technique and it’s great to have full blown conversations as their right there. Been on the blue at QECP no problem.

Its worth the investment.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

We Rides are good but you reallly can’t beat a trailer for practicality, in my experience.

The We Ride was good for having the child right in front of you but awkward pedaling position and the weight of the bar were big issues.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bike seats for kids. What’s best?’ is closed to new replies.