Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bike sale, paypal and pitfalls
  • dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I’ve browsed a few threads over the years with regard to paypal issues with selling and disputes etc.
    I have an account, but have always sold bikes cash in hand on inspection.

I’ve agreed the sale of my bike to a guy who is using insurance money from his recently stolen bike. He’s travelling a significant distance to collect as I didn’t want to ship cross border US>Can.
    Anyway, he suggests he needs paperwork for his insurance (although a cheque is already in the post on his way to him from his insurer) so hes asked about paying me with paypal and to simplify exchange amount.

What are my risks using paypal and how do I protect myself from issues?
    I ask mainly because “send me money by paypal gift” is a recurring joke on here and his Pinkbike profile is only 6mo old with zero activity.

Is there a single type of transaction I should require he use not to find myself in a dispute days later?

bruneep

If he’s getting a “cash” payout from insurance why does he need any paperwork? <alarm bells>

Cash on collection with a written receipt note from yourself

nickdavies

That ^

He’s travelling a fair way because he’s getting free bike once he opens a PayPal disputes and they find in his favour because you’ve not shipped it and got a signature. Probably.

Cash. PayPal gift is an option but I reckon he’ll not want to do that. The PayPal gift option is a joke because it gives buyer no protection – your the seller so it benefits you. Cbargebacks can still be issued against pp gift though so it’s not foolproof.

mattsccm
    Free Member

If collection, cash. Assuming not forged the only safe way.

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

Cash on collection with a written receipt note from yourself

How I’ve always sold bikes, cars etc. Mostly foolproof – unless you get stuck with funny money I guess

Basically no ideal way to do private transactions with paypal then?

jonnyboi

Not that it’s not ideal, it’s just that any online transaction holds an element of risk if one party chooses to act fraudulently

coomber
    Free Member

PayPal have admitted it can’t do anything about paypal purchase and pick up. There’s no proof of collection. Disputes can be raised and they find in favour of the beer who is now using a free bike.

Would see no reason in your circumstances to accept that. The zero feedback etc. would be another massive warning sign

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

PayPal gift – as a seller, good as you are fully protected because the buyer is ‘gifting’ you the money i.e. no comeback.

PayPal normal transaction – as a seller, bad because if buyer collects personally and raises a dispute you have no proof of postage to say it was received by the buyer. Hand written receipts don’t cut it.

jaylittle
    Free Member

I once had a buyer that wanted to collect the bike in person but pay via paypal. Didn’t seem right to me so passed up on the sale, if he really wanted the bike he would have offered cash on collection.

Sounds like your in a similar situation. If the buyer is genuine he’ll settle for cash and a hand written invoice.

nickdavies

PayPal gift – as a seller, good as you are fully protected because the buyer is ‘gifting’ you the money i.e. no comeback.

Not true, you don’t know how it’s been paid and credit card protection still applies to PayPal – chargeback is issued and PayPal just roll over and let the bank win because as it was not a sale and only a gift then the seller doesn’t need protecting. Seller ends up out of pocket. They have no comeback to argue as there was no transaction.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Have to wonder why Paypal have not added something to their site for dealing with collecting in person, such as buyer logging into their account at collection point, which then uses GPS to record location.

sbd16v
    Free Member

Can you not do instant online bank transfer in the us ? That would be the safest way for you and if he is collecting in person then i see no reason it isnt safe for him.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cash and receipt or bank transfer and print off the confirmation. Pay pal works where you have an electronic audit trail and it works fairly well. His insurance has settled cash he doesn’t need to prove anything to them.
    If he is genuine no problem and cash will be sorted if he kicks off not worth the hassle.

thepodge
    Free Member

PayPal let’s you use your credit card when you don’t have the cash, perhaps it’s before pay day but you don’t want to miss a good deal on something.

Surely you could ask them to provide photo ID and proof of address, then when they collect take photos of these and a photo of the buyer with the bike. If they raise a claim then just send the photos to PayPal as part of the evidence / reply

mikedabear
    Free Member

The buyer can NOT open a case for a purchase made in person.

coomber
    Free Member

When was that introduced

bruneep

How PP know that it was done in person?

coomber
    Free Member

From PayPal

I don’t have any tracking information. What can I do?
    Without proof-of-delivery that can be tracked online, any claim of non-receipt is unlikely to be found in your favour. We advise looking into the delivery options that are available to you and consider making the cost of delivery with online tracking, mandatory for your customers. If you’ve bought something: … If a Significantly Not as Described claim is decided in your favour, we may ask you to return the item to the seller to solve the claim

cornholio98
    Free Member

If the insurance company is replacing the stolen item they will purchase it through one of their preferred vendors. If they are giving him cash they do not care what he spends it on. They do not need any paperwork.
    IF you decide to go through with this you should get copies of his id and photos of him to go alongside the PayPal gift transaction.
    If he really is genuine he can give you the insurance company details and case number and you can call them…

If it smells like a fish it probably is a fish…

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

nickdavies – Member

Not true, you don’t know how it’s been paid and credit card protection still applies to PayPal – chargeback is issued and PayPal just roll over and let the bank win because as it was not a sale and only a gift then the seller doesn’t need protecting. Seller ends up out of pocket. They have no comeback to argue as there was no transaction.

Martin Lewis thinks otherwise.

Section 75

thecaptain
    Free Member

Just do cash and write him a receipt. A genuine buyer would have no problem with this.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bike sale, paypal and pitfalls’ is closed to new replies.