Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Bike retail prices in the 90s
  • devonboy
    Free Member

My three,by memory.Orange Clockwork DX £600,Orange Prestige Suntour £700 and 1993 Cannondale M800 Beast of the East £800.

Oh for the days when you could just walk in and buy these things.

TheGingerOne

Just remembered that my 98 Marin Mount Vision which had xt groupset and Manitou X-Vert R forks (free upgrade) was £1550 from Wheelies.

Mail-order wise, Merlin and Woolly Hat shop were my go to for magazine and telephone ordering along with chain reaction.

rhinofive

I’m sure my 1996 GT LTS3 was £1200…..with original cantis immediately swapped out for Maguras which are still going strong to this day

jabbi
    Free Member

My first mtb in 1992 was an MBK Adventure cost £213, the bug bit hard! In December 96′ I spent £3350 on a Santa Cruz Tazmon (with a 10% discount and downgrading to XT from the XTR I wanted, to try and keep cost down!) that’s £6330 in todays money, it wasn’t top end everything. High end bikes are now (relatively) priced similarly to then, I think.

white101

From memory I bought a 6 month old Raleigh Montana from my mate for £150, he bought it for £250 in 1992. It had a seat like a grifter, above bar thumb shifter gears, the most rigid of rigid forks and a steel frame so thick and heavy that Mount Doom in Mordor would struggle to melt it down.

After serving an early apprenticeship on the old railway lines and bridleways around Gateshead it joined the Navy and ended up getting me around Faslane base and the surrounding hills. It was terrible off road and remained planted to the back roads. Gear changes were available every second shift in the month and it had more indexing carried out than a library.

Happy days.

ssboggy

Bought a Kona Explosif frame in ’97 that cost £500 and the Pace forks that I got at the same time were £400.

molgrips
    Free Member

My Kona Fire Mountain was £450 in 1992. It was rubbish by today’s standards. It had a a cromo main triangle and HTS stays IIRC. Rigid and cantis, of course, and weighed 28lbs or so. But the hubs were poorly sealed C&C, the headset was notchy after a few rides, the rear mech (STX) was floppy as hell after a year or so (I only had it two years) and the freehub packed up twice.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think my first Kids MTB was an MBK (motobecane?), then a 24″ diamondback, then things went backwards and I had my dads Raleigh Maveric followed by a saracen BSO in about 2001 which still cost £200 and I really did ride it into the ground!

Then I discovered actual mountain biking with stuff that actually worked!

simondbarnes

My Orange P7 in 1996 with LX, Cantis and rigid fork was £800

dave661350

I bought a Team Marin rigid in March 1994. It was £1095. I vividly recall riding to work on it one day when a colleague, stood puffing on one of her 20 a day, said
    ‘How much was that then, looks expensive.’
    ‘£1100’
    ‘Bloody hell, that’s a lot’
    ‘It is, how many fags a day do you smoke Gill ?’
    ’20’
    ‘Well, in 12 months, I’ll still have my bike and still be pretty fit, you’ll have spunked £1000 on fags and all you’ll have is smelly hair and clothes and black lungs’

trumpton
    Free Member

Lol

supernova

I spent all of first freelance payment on a KHS Montana with full XT group set for £850 from Bigfoot bikes in Gloucester at the very start of the 90s. Great bike, lasted ages, eventually snapped the frame. A big step up from the Raleighs I was hooning around on before.

nicko74

GT Arrowhead was £300 in 1997 IIRC. Specialized Rockhopper, the mid-market benchmark for hardtails was about £600 IIRC; and the Stumpjumper, in M2 and then M4 flavour (never found out what happened to the M3) was a scarcely believable £1000. Crazy money – showed that the whole MTB market had gone mad!

RichPenny
    Free Member

MY Peugeot Barracuda cost £300, think that was 1990/91. Pretty sure it had Deore Lx rapidfire gears. Remember wanting an Alpinestars Cro-mega but my mum didn’t have enough cash for those lovely elevated stays. I still bring it up over Christmas lunch as an example of neglect.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Halfords has similarly capable looking rigid bikes with V brakes from less than £200, if you were looking for mid range deore level bikes, reckon you’d find something for £300-350, so about 50% of the cost of my Peugeot when inflation adjusted. And for not much more you could have hydro discs and working suspension.

trumpton
    Free Member

I saw a cromo alpinestar on ebay the other day.love the look of them and I think they are very good.the alloy versions all snapped at the chain stay.

winston2005

My first bike a Ridgeback 602x was 250 quid back in 1988 (was reduced being the 87 model from 300)
    Bought a Proflex Beast 96 model for 1649 with xt v brakes rather than magura hs11’s
    Then a Giant Mcm990 1997 reduced from 3000 to 1700 full xt,carbon full sus with Judy sl and Super Deluxe Shock.

winston2005

@supernova those khs montanas where a lovely bike, mate had one. knacked it when he tried to drill a snapped seat post out of it 🙁

mboy
    Free Member

I remember my 1990 Marin Muirwoods with the Zolatone paint and bright green forks/stem/bars and Shimano 200GS groupset was £320… I remember thinking how low the granny gear was, a 28T chainring and a largest 28T cog on the back giving a 1:1 ratio… How times have changed!

My 1995 Marin Eldridge Grade was £720 from memory, and with its 8spd Shimano LX groupset and White Industries (OEM cheapo made by Sugino I think) cranks etc. and the (at the time) faintly ridiculous 22/28 granny gear! I ended up upgrading that bike quite heavily, got a Manitou Magnum suspension fork for it (£280 iirc) as I couldn’t stretch to the Manitou 4. Put some Club Roost riser bars on it too, with a brace, an enormous 620mm wide (up from 560mm flats with bar ends on!), Flite Ti saddle, softer brake blocks, some expensive folding Conti tyres etc…

Then, perhaps stupidly, I fell for the lure of full suspension, a mate having had both a Proflex and a Cannondale Super V already at the time. I was an impressionable youth and had saved up my entire wages from working all summer, and just before I went back for my A Levels I took my Eldridge Grade along with me to PX against an Orange X1 Pro, complete with Shimano XT Groupset (Gripshift SRT800 shifters aside) and a Pace MXD suspension fork with a whopping 75mm of travel! I think it was £1800 cash price with those upgrades at the time… I did ride that bike pretty much everywhere though to be fair!

onewheelgood

I paid £500 for my 92 Eldridge Grade (3×7 XT drivetrain and shirts, DX brakes and hubs) in an end of season sale. My 99 Mount Vision (full 3×9 XT, Manitou SX Ti fork) was £1999 – a 40th birthday present.

LimboJimbo

I got a KHS Montana Comp when the bike shop I worked in as a Saturday lad started selling them. Lovely things but my god they were squirrely. If you stomped down on the pedals you could get the frame to flex enough to drop the chain into the small ring, bear in mind I was about 8st dripping wet in 1994.
    As for pricing I was mostly paid in parts, the Manitou’s on my bike worked out at about three months worth of Saturdays. If I needed cash it was a tenner out of the till at the end of the day.

mattvanders
    Free Member

I had a 2000 Kona cindercone as my first mountain bike after I go in to buy my brother (he had a 1995/6 diamondbacks WCF), I paid £700 for it which because it was full retail they chucked in a set of rob warrer pedals in as well.

https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/46277/

Still have it in the family, dads pub bike

submarined
    Free Member

I think my Marin Bear Valley SE (Rigid forks, Cromo, STX RC, V Brakes) Was about £640 in 1998. Took me a year to save up for that.
    Bossnut of it’s day was the B-17, £999 IIRC – 6″ front and Rear (Hi5s on the front) but V Brakes I think.
    Seems to remember the Mount Vision was about £1600 or so for the entry level one, Pro was quite a bit more, possibly 2kish?
    I think my Hope C2s were about £150/end, the Bulb Hubs were similar prices to Pro4s nowadays.

Chain reaction were getting going that time, Big ads in a lot of the papers and the stuff was definitely cheaper than my LBS (Even though I worked there – the staff discount was NOT generous…)

Kuco

My Kona Cindercone in 1989 was £349

chestrockwell

I remember my 1990 Marin Muirwoods with the Zolatone paint and bright green forks/stem/bars and Shimano 200GS groupset was £320…

That was a 1991. The 90 was full neon yellow, no Zolatone, unlike the rest of the range.

I’m a nerd.

matt_outandabout

Marin Nail Trail 1993, £900 (2020 = £1600)
    null

Marin Nail Trail 7 2017, £1600
    null
    (Although I paid £950)

chestrockwell

That’s not a 93 Nail Trail, it’s a 1994 or 5.

Now I’m really nerding myself out.

matt_outandabout

😆

chakaping
    Free Member

I think I demo-ed that model Nail Trail.

Very fast and light but I hated the stiffness and got a Team Marin instead.

We had many happy years together.

andy5390

In 1997, I bought a Specialized Rockhopper hardtail with Rockshox fork and A1 frame for £750

My 753 framed Raleigh Team Panasonic cost £1500 in 1985 (I didn’t buy one back then)

trumpton
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.only thought I would get a few replies

mboy
    Free Member

That was a 1991. The 90 was full neon yellow, no Zolatone, unlike the rest of the range.

I’m a nerd.

You are probably right actually… Got it in July 1990, so it’s certainly possible it was a 91 model bike when they had just come out.

That’s not a 93 Nail Trail, it’s a 1994 or 5.

Now I’m really nerding myself out.

That’s a 1994 for sure… The 95 Nail Trail didn’t have any purple on it, it was all plain silver polished alloy. 👍🏻

andy5390

and the Stumpjumper, in M2 and then M4 flavour (never found out what happened to the M3) was a scarcely believable £1000.

Yep, I got a Stumpjumper, after my Rockhopper got knicked. House insurance paid the £750 in full, and the lock came with $250 insurance, which I also claimed.

Strangely, I remember the Stumpy having a rigid fork, but a quick search says no

wcolt
    Free Member

My Orange C16 with rigid forms and STX RC groupset cost me £600 in 1995 from wild side cycles in Tunbridge Wells.

In 1993 my Univega Alpina with Acera gears was £360 new.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Marin were so big in the early/mid 90s. I bought a Palisades Trail in 92, I can still remember the excitement. And I was 29.

Tracey

Paid £375 in 1987 for my Marin Bear Valley. Had to borrow £50 from my boy friend at the time or get the lower speced model. 33 years and 2 kids later and we are still hitting the trails together. Never did get round to paying it back 😉

andy4d

iirc I paid something like £400/£500 for my first mtb in the early nineties, a Trek 850. God I loved that bike, fully ridged, canti rim brakes, single walled rims (that were quickly replace after a few dings) with Paneracer smoke/dart 1.95s, plastic toe clips, 3×9  alivio.

25 years on I guess this is about £900 in modern money, which is about what my old cube acid cost a couple of years ago which got me back into biking,  recon fork, disc brakes, 3×10 deore / XT,

so I guess allowing for inflation and bike development an entry level type bike then was about the same as an entry level bike now?

jb72
    Free Member

Think I paid £600 for my Orange C16-R in 1996. Had 21 speed STX-RC, canti brakes. Loved it.

dogbone

1990 Marin Palisades Trail here. £300 ish from Walton Street Cycles in Oxford.

Best paint job ever.

Rustychain
    Free Member

Great thread, took me back to my first decent mountain bike.

1995 Marin Indian Fire Trail (rigid) – £1050. I’ve still got the receipt, catalogue and official price list… 🙂 In fact, I’ve still got the bars knocking about in the garage somewhere.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Bike retail prices in the 90s’ is closed to new replies.