Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • bike restoration – Project: Jack's chrimbo prez
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

The boy (Jack aged 2) goes mental when he sees daddy's big yellow Nicolai come home of an evening. After donning his goggles and fireman helmet, he sits on the top tube and steers it down the corridor, so for Christmas I thought I get him his own.
    As daddy can't afford another Nicolai he would have to settle for something a bit cheaper. NBT was getting shot of a kids bike for free! and it was just the right size!!! (or atleast it will be by chrimbo) so 'Project: Jack's chrimbo prez' began slightly earlier than expected.

so here it is before

couple of broken spokes, rusty hubs, a ripped seat…. nothing major and nothing that a bit of tlc couldn't make good.

let stripping commence!

nearly stripped

didn't come up too bad

pre-powder coaters

post-powder coaters (daddy's bike looking on)

let the rebuild begin! original Nicolai head badge mmmmmmm

stencilled the rest (thank you Simon@Nicolai)

a kick ass saddle and we're done!!

more pics here
    http://jackrestore.fotopic.net/c1771477.html

I like it and I'm sure Jack will. Dunno if he will appreciate the effort but who cares.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

That's cool and sweet.
    If I was 2 yrs old and my dad did that for me then it would be the best present ever. 😀

flip
    Free Member

Thats truly mega bloke, bet he loves it.

😛

barca
    Free Member

Whoopsie Hoopsie – the fella's got a better bike than you!

Will you be my Daddy?

takisawa2

What a bloke. 😀
    Brilliant.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That carpet…..!

The HORROR! THE HORROR!

(Great bike, though!)

Gary_C

Nice job there,fella.

Just one observation though……

You've put the downtube decal on the wrong way round,as in 'mirror image'

😉

therealhoops
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    That carpet…..!

The HORROR! THE HORROR!

(Great bike, though!)

The carpet might be a horror story but his kid probably has better local trails than you… 😉

oddjob
    Free Member

Great work, he'll love it.
    I was lucky that all my bikes are black and they made the kiddies ones in black too so I was saved all that work.

I suspect you're making some of the rest of us feel like inadequate dads though…

letmetalktomark

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Daddy Kool

nbt

Glad to see things being re-used and improved. Are you going to get a proper bike now?

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

damn good job there! its nice sorting bike for the kids… My son rode for the 1st time last weekend without training wheels, he got just over 50 meters!! 🙂

Brother_Will
    Free Member

I think thats cool and bet it cost you less than buying a new one which makes sense considering how long it will be used for

david_r
    Free Member

That's great. Did a similar thing for my lad. 20" wheels. He loves it. Stripped it down, resprayed, logo'd up with SixSixOne!

Now he's outgrown it and we're currently looking to get him a 24" MTB. His little sister is now inheriting it, and I've got to strip it down again and repaint it; either red or pink!

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

That is sweet, when I was a young lad, I had this crappy bmx which my dad stripped, sprayed proper aluminous(?) yellow, did everything else matt black (including the mag wheels) and it was the bees knees!

wwaswas

david_r – sorry for the hijack – I'll have a 24" Kona Hula in metallic green available shortly. can do pics etc if you're interested lukeDOTburstowAThotmailDOTcoDOTuk

scaredypants

hoops, get the satilisers (& cranks off) & get him balancing on it. Much better option for learning IME

Nice job though – better than the one I did for my daughter once – bike from the tip, resprayed pinky purple & put some sticky stars & disney crap on it, then lacquer. Looked quite passable from a distance 🙄

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘bike restoration – Project: Jack's chrimbo prez’ is closed to new replies.