Bike Register – done it yet?

Home Forum Bike Forum Bike Register – done it yet?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bike Register – done it yet?
  • Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

I used http://www.immobilise.com/ which seems to be what my local police force recommend. Lets you upload photos and descriptions of the bike too which I thought was good.

Hopefully they all tie into the same database at the end of the day.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

https://www.bikeregister.com/signup

Free to sign up with details and frame numbers, charging for more info and selling locks etc. as part of the package.

Some interesting stuff on stolen bike too
    https://www.bikeregister.com/stolen-bikes

Premier Icon northernerindevon
    Subscriber

+1 for immobilise. Still, s’pose it can’t hurt to have them registered on bikeregister.com too!

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

I may be overly paranoid but I’m not sure I want all my details and bikes in a database which could be hacked/leaked/left in a briefcase on Eurostar….

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

You could always upload after they have been stolen.

In the end of the day a central register of nicked bikes has to be a good thing.

Premier Icon ads678
    Subscriber

I use immobilise as well, again cos thats what the police use in leeds. I thought it would a decent way of registering upgrades for insurance purposes.

I’ve got on of those things that goes in your seat post as well, won’t stop it being nicked but if it’s still there and the bike gets recovered they should be able to tell it’s mine.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

I may be overly paranoid but I’m not sure I want all my details and bikes in a database which could be hacked/leaked/left in a briefcase on Eurostar…

Perhaps a valid concern given typical corporate security, but I think the benefit far outweighs that very slight risk.

To be honest I think most bike thieves tend to just hang about streets looking for bikes rather than conducting corporate espionage.

But if you are concerned then you don’t have to provide your home address when you register.

I may be overly paranoid but I’m not sure I want all my details and bikes in a database which could be hacked/leaked/left in a briefcase on Eurostar..

If youre bike gets stolen and taken across a police force border (which might only be a matter of miles) and it is recovered, and they check their force crime recording system, they wont be able to identify your bike. Immobilise.com is an expansion of the government-driven national mobile phone register and every police force should be checking it (police have a different portal to access the database).

I dont know anyone who checks Bike Register.

I am a copper and all my bikes, cameras, phones etc are logged on Immobilise.com.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I dont know anyone who checks Bike Register.

They claim the police have access, but not specifically that it’s checked. It was being promoted by British Cycling which is why I linked to it.

Premier Icon dmorts
    Subscriber

If the bikeregister.com isn’t checked by the police then surely its real purpose is to make money from sale of security devices? Immobilise.com seems a much better bet as it says it ties in with the Police’s NMPR.

Seems you have to pay to upload photos to bikeregister.com too!

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Seems you have to pay to upload photos to bikeregister.com too!

Well that sucks. Free on immobilise.com.

Top tip: as well as photos of your bike you can also upload photos of invoices/receipts etc. Potentially quite useful when making an insurance claim!

TiRed

All my bikes are registered on Bikeregister and Bikeshepherd Including the stolen ones.

upload photos of invoices/receipts etc. Potentially quite useful when making an insurance claim!

I was not required to show a single receipt for my claim. I did however provide a detailed spreadsheet of every item on every bike stolen with a photo of the bike at some state of build.

Interestingly, the one that was prelisted on Bikeregister was not stolen, perhaps they ran out of room in the van, or they just don’t like fixed wheel bikes!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bike Register – done it yet?’ is closed to new replies.