Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike re-spraying instructions needed please
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

It’s a steel frame that’s been partially sanded down with some patches of rust on it. What do I need to do? Thanks.

Tom83

Personally, I’d get it powder coated. Probs work out cheaper, and will be harder wearing.

bruneep

Take it to your local powder coater, pick it up a week or so later. No stress no grief.

meehaja
    Free Member

Scratch it up with some wet and dry to give it a key,

Tape over BB threads, stuff any screw threads/braze ons with blue tack or similar.

Then primer. Wether you are rattle can spraying or gun spraying you want to find some way of supporting the frame whilst you spray. I laid mine flat, and suffered drips and un even finsish, since seen it done by hanging from a tree with string through seat tube and out BB.

Don’t get over excited. Many fine coats will give better finish than few thick coats. Spray from further back than you’d think, maybe 16inches away, avoid drips!

leave it to dry. Really, I know you want to touch it, but you’ll leave finger prints in it so don’t. 24 hours should do it, be aware of dust etc.

Laquer, go mental spray loads on. some like to apply decals before laquer, I didn’t but this does make sense.

Let it dry!

Northwind

+1 Powdercoat. Will work out pretty much the same on price, even without taking your time into account- and refinishing a frame takes time. Also is likely to be more durable- most rattlecan paints don’t work very well for bike use.

But do take the time to find a good coater.

cynic-al
    Free Member

powdercoat. DIY will fall off in comparison.

takisawa2

Rib it down with 800 grade wet & dry. Couple of coats of primer. Flat again. Hang up. Spray with Plastikote from Wilkos. Goes on nice & thick. Couple of coats. Needs couple of weeks to harden off if possible. Don’t bother with car paints, too thin.
    Rolled up paper in head, BB & seat tube.
    Cost you about £25 in cans.
    Or get it powder coated for about £30.

Done the DIY route plenty of times but absolute honestly, save your cash & get it powder coated.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Ok thank’s folks. Should I give it some kind of undercoat before taking it to the powder coaters or just sand the old paint off? Cheers.

simon1975

They should be able to blast off all the old paint for you before applying the powder. £30 to £40 all in.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike re-spraying instructions needed please’ is closed to new replies.