Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bike racks – clip on or towball? (VW T5 content)
  • tomd
    Free Member

I’m needing a bike rack for my T5. It has barn doors and a towball already fitted.

Has anyone got experiencing with either the Fiamma (or similar) clip on one or using a tow bar mounted rack? I’d be interested if it’s possible to open the doors at all with one of the tilting racks. The Fiamma rack looks good but only takes 2 bikes, sits above the height of the van and has mixed reviews from a few years ago.

Stoner
    Free Member

had a clip on. Was OK.
    Bent the rails on a bottoming out.
    Didnt trust it after that and went for a silly expensive sliding 4x ball mounted rack.
    Bloody ace.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Tow ball ones are massively more secure than a non towball rack

I use the ones that have abracket that they slide into so there is nothing really to check once fitted

With the clip on you have yo check straps and a failure is easy – it may be very very uncommon but short of metal fatigue I cannot see who my towball track can break- to see

YMMV but i would always prefer a towball over other options

tomd
    Free Member

Stoner – what model is it that you have? Sounds interesting.

Junkyard – yep I’m all sold on the tow ball except that the Fiamma clip on means the barn doors still work. Are there any particular models of tow ball rack you’ve seen that might work with the doors?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We got an Atera DL3 after lots of reccommendations and I can’t fault it. Always used Thule stuff but the Atera seems to be just as good – dead easy to fit/remove, holds 3 bikes easily and can get an attachment to take a 4th.

boxelder

We’ve got a Thule – which has been fine for years. Sometimes need to turn bars or remove seats, depending on which bikes and order they go on. Can’t open the doors (T5 as yours) with bikes on.
    Maxx Raxx and Buzz Racks look good as well.

The tilt is to allow opening of tailgate type doors on estates. Can’t see how they can ever work on T5 barn door – what’s the clearance below the door – 700mm?

tomd
    Free Member

That Atera looks the business. How far away does it slide out?

FieldMarshall

I also have a T5 with barn doors and recently swapped from a Fiamma door mounted rack to the Atera Strada DL, as I now need to carry 3 bikes.

Not cheap. But a great rack and slides out the way to allow the doors to fully open for easy access to kit in the back.

Would recommend.

tomd
    Free Member

Cheers FieldMarshall. Looks like that’s the way to go if it allows the doors to open.

FieldMarshall

That’s one of the reasons I got the Atera over the Thule, as the Thule only tilts/pivots back, whereas the Atera slides backwards.

It doesn’t feel as robust/strong as the Thule, but I’ve had mine a year and still as good as new. It is much lighter than the Thule.

When you are not using it, it folds up flat and can be stored in the back of the van.

ps I think you can only get them from roofbox company, but have used them many times and found their customer service very good.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I have a Altera DL3 on my T5 (tailgate model)..Great bit of kit.

You can open the tailgate with the bikes if they have normal width bars (as in the pictures)..

If you put a bike with wide bars (780mm) on the rack slot closest to the back of the van, the rack doesn’t tilt away far enough to open the door..

I believe the DL2 doesnt tilt enough do open the door, only the DL3 model does..

I had a Thule Rideon 3 before this and the bars touched the rear window on the closest bike slot.

Have a look here..

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=186207&highlight=altera&page=2

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=427933&highlight=altera

LoCo
    Free Member

Towball, just bought a Thule 3 bike one for the T4 😀

Scamper
    Free Member

Got the one in the OP – its ok, but you have to put tape under the top attachment brackets or it rubs the van paintwork off over time 😯

tomd
    Free Member

Only problem is there are none of the DL 3s in the UK for a couple of weeks!

Stoner
    Free Member

Fiamma door hanger

Atera Strada

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Eak24h_Nw28/T_x6PhScKlI/AAAAAAAAC-s/W9GL8qgzVHo/s640/IMAG0085.jpg[/img]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bike racks – clip on or towball? (VW T5 content)’ is closed to new replies.