Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bike racks and removable tow bars??
  • ads678

On my Smax I had a tow bar mounted bike rack that fixed to a flange that sat behind the tow ball. This always seemed very sturdy with four bikes on.

I’ve just bought a Merc Viano and thinking of what sort of bike rack to get. Would like one that fits to the boot door like on VW Transporters, but there doesn;t seem to be that many around for 4 bikes.

So thinking of having a tow bar fitted but would like a removable one this time. Are 4 bike racks ok on removable tow bars?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes.

beamers

Absolutely fine.

Just make sure the removeable towbar is properly engaged and then locked – a mistake only made once!

ads678

Cool cheers. I assumed it would be fine, but thought I’d check with the experts first!

Just make sure the removeable towbar is properly engaged and then locked – a mistake only made once!

Oof, that could be an expesnive mistake.

beamers

Oof, that could be an expensive mistake.

Thankfully it dropped of as we pulled out of the drive. Surprisingly, zero damage caused. But yes, it could have been far, far worse.

intheborders
    Free Member

We removeable?

Just asking as my OH’s previous 2 cars had removable ones and they were left on permanently, so her current car got a fixed one, and so has my car.

Also useful when reversing 🙂

iainc

^^^^ same here, I rarely if ever remove mine, ever since a private taxi nudged the back of by last car and got a nice towball shaped hole in his front bumper !

thegeneralist
    Free Member

^^^^^ same here. I got the removable one for some daft reason ( reversing sensors?).

I find the whole idea of a removable towbar so scary, and the fiddly unintuitive mounting/ dismounting process so flakey that the last thing I want to do, once I know it has managed a trip OK is to take it off again and go through the whole thing again.

johnw1984
    Free Member

My Forester had a “removeable” tow ball. That was until one day it decided it wouldn’t come off, so it became a permanent fixture 🙂

Next time I end up with a car, I’ll probably just get a fixed one. Still the best solution for carrying bikes in my opinion.

mashr

I find the whole idea of a removable towbar so scary, and the fiddly unintuitive mounting/ dismounting process so flakey that the last thing I want to do, once I know it has managed a trip OK is to take it off again and go through the whole thing again.

All tow bars are not born equal though. I put mine in the hole, it goes “clunk” I check the indicator’s gone green, mount the rack and bikes and drive off. To remove, push and twist a big button/dial thing and it’s straight back off

FB-ATB

Still the best solution for carrying bikes in my opinion.

I’ve always favoured roof bars. As the mrs can’t reach bikes on top of the Alhambra we recently got a Buzzrack Buffalo and I’m starting to be convinced they’re better.

ads678

Yeah, I wouldn’t be bothered about the fixed towbar to be honest. Works fine on my last car.

Maybe my wife would be happy with a swan neck when she see’s the price difference!

wheelsonfire1

My experience of removable tow bars is – not as sturdy as a fixed one. You will notice your bikes moving about a bit more, this is using a quality tow bar and Thule rack, the best in my opinion. Fixed bars on two of my vehicles appear more stable -I’m sure detachable bars are ok but you will spend more (unsafe) time checking your mirrors until you get used to it!

wheelsonfire1

And.. removable tow bars are more expensive!

ginkster

Yes it’s absolutely fine. Just check the load limit for the rack and make sure you don’t exceed that. Easily done with 4 big bikes and a 15kg rack! I’ve had numerous cars with removable tow bars and all worked perfectly with my Thule 4 bike carrier.

Stainypants

I fitted one to my Galaxy and have one on the Caravelle that replaced it never removed either in 14 years. Just get a permanent one and save some cash.

gingerflash

I had Witter removeables on two cars, over about 8 years. they were perfect. engagement was very solid and definite, never any doubt it was engaged safely. Always came off easily too. I didn’t notice any difference in stability versus a fixed towball. we used a Pendle four bike rack.

the only downside was the extra cost, but once it’s bought, you tend not to notice that.

ransos
    Free Member

All tow bars are not born equal though. I put mine in the hole, it goes “clunk” I check the indicator’s gone green, mount the rack and bikes and drive off.

Yup. I’ve had two – a Brink and a Witter – both use that method. The Brink is a little awkward to remove but is very solid in use. I’ve done trips to Scotland, France and Germany with no problems.

porter_jamie

100% ok, i went to the alps multiple times with a rack full of bikes on my Viano. the electrics were expensive!

devbrix
    Free Member

Worth checking nose weight of the Viano as well. The newer ones are 100Kg so should be OK but you need to consider leverage in the reconning apparently. Steering might get a bit light with too much weight in the back if you overload it, Italian Job style 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bike racks and removable tow bars??’ is closed to new replies.