Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike rack/stand for 4 bikes
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Looking for a stand to keep 4 bikes upright. Initial thought was something simple along these lines:

However, not sure how well these hold the bikes? Especially different tyre widths/sizes?

Will be holding:
    MTB – 27.5×2.4
    Jump bike – 26×2.2
    Gravel – 700c x 38mm
    Partner’s bike – 700x x 28mm

Also would like them to be close enough together that you don’t need a crazy long lock, but not so close that getting them all in isn’t an issue.

Any thoughts/comments?

Other option is making my own out of wood which I’m happy to do…

Thanks, Duane

MoreCashThanDash

Beginning to think a couple of those might be the solution to our family bike problem, so interested in people’s views on this

sharkattack

Just make one and it can be any size you like. It took me about an hour to turn a wonky old picnic bench into this…

bikerevivesheffield

A frame 42mm steel tube arrangement

Duane…
    Free Member

Sharkattack, are they 2x4s? Are the bikes stable even though the supports are not that deep? I assume if you put a road bike in it wouldn’t stand upright?

Thanks.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve got a bunch of these. Could be linked together, they’re pretty stable and hold everything from 20” to 29” wheels pretty well. Stable enough for ebikes.

Duane…
    Free Member

That looks great but a bit pricey if I’m buying 4 of them 🙁

jkomo

I use the fixed hook Planet X ones. Road bikes up high, mtb with back wheel on floor. Got five in quite small space. £5 total in the ‘sale’.

sharkattack

Sharkattack, are they 2x4s? Are the bikes stable even though the supports are not that deep? I assume if you put a road bike in it wouldn’t stand upright?

Thanks.

They’re stable enough to stand up on their own and be blasted by a jet wash. It’s a pretty tight fit as I just pushed the inner parts up against the tyre and screwed them in.
    A road bike wouldn’t stand up in mine.

If I was going to put any level of thought or effort into it (and not just use wood that was lying in the garden) I’d build something with an upright section.

julians
    Free Member

I bought one of the racks in the first post for my 4 mountain bikes (26 inch wheel through to 29er) , it works well.

It fits all (various widths from 2.1 to 2.4 inches) except one of my bikes tyres fine, the exception was my bike with 2.6 tyres , for this I had to use a car scissor jack to bend the rack bars apart slightly, now they’re pushed apart permanently the bike fits fine.

I alternate the direction the bikes are in the rack, ie back wheel in the rack for the first bike, then front wheel for the next etc, so the handle bars dont clash, and then you can roll the bikes in and out without issue.

It works fine with my road bike as well, but I typically keep that seperate.

I mounted the rack to a wall, so the bars that hold the wheel stickout from the wall rather than up from the floor as per the photo above, the bikes are more stable this way.

stumpy01

For the rack in the OP’s first image, you could always use a couple of bits of pipe lagging cable-tied around it to narrow the slot for a road bike if needed?

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks all. stumpy – yep I’d been thinking about that. I would be using it on the floor rather than mounted on a wall though – looks like you get more stability when mounted on a wall.

slowol

We have a 3 bike version from Aldi in our porch to hold bikes. It works Ok with 2.1 x 26 inch and 700 x 38 on our general abuse bikes. Not tries it with the road bike as it’s been in pieces for the last 6 months but I don’t think will be a problem. 20 inch kids bikes are too small to fit as is 18 inch wheel folder.
    The only issue is that the rack moves about as you pull a bike in or out. I don’t have the option of screwing it down so have screwed it to some strips of wood with rubber (old inner tube) glued on to minimise this. It doesn’t wander too badly now if you put a foot on it. Certainly works well enough for quick bike access in a shed or wherever and avoids the need to lift onto a wall hook. In our case wall hook would block the living room window which looks through the porch.

Edit: trying to work out image links.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike rack/stand for 4 bikes’ is closed to new replies.