Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike Rack for Galaxy/S-Max types?
  • Kahurangi

We might well end up with a galaxy, S-Max or sharan type vehicle for a while, and need to stick couple of adults FS bikes on and maybe a kid’s bike too.

Sure we’d love a van or a big car with a tow bar mount bike rack (wife is too small for a roof rack 😂 ) but the MPV is a stop-gap for up to a year.

Saris aren’t sure the Bones will fit one or either Fords, but I’d be willing to have a go for a well-regarded rack, but are the prongs pretty rubbish when you have awkward front triangles with a top-tube connected shock?

Like this but not this exactly:

I’ve otherwise heard that the Halford High Mount racks are pretty good?
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/rear-mounted-bike-racks/halfords-rear-high-mount-3-bike-bike-rack-539061.html

and a high-mount should leave the number plate and light clear, right?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info or slagging off 🙂

Jordan

Thule backpack, I got one for my Passat that had been on an s-max. So if you get a used one, I have an s-max fitting kit going spare.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Towbar. Best thing I ever did to my s-max.

ads678

Yep, I’ve got a SMax with tow bar and a 4 bike rack. It’s great!

Markie
    Free Member

Galaxy with aftermarket tow ball. Current rack can’t handle current bikes, but tow bar mount is ace!

oldnpastit

Tow bar.

mattbee

We had a tow bar fitted to our Galaxy. Definitely the best option imo.

kirky72
    Free Member

I’ve just taken a set of Thule aero wing roof bars along with Thule 598 (three of) of my Ford Kuga. If you have roof rails and want to stick em on the roof I’d be happy to sell.

lardman
    Free Member

I put mine on the roof of my Smax.
    But, they’re hard wor to lift up and get them that high. Strong arms needed.

2 Enduro type bike on Thule roof bars, kids bike on a Seasucker rack just behind them.

matt_outandabout

Towbar and Thule rack.

The best thing we ever did for getting whole family of bikes on Galaxy, and Volvo now.

We used to have Halfords Advanced that was a rebadged Thule. It had metal ‘straps’ and a big clamp mechanism. So much more secure than soft nylon straps and buckles. Like this:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/thule-clipon-3-rear-door-bike-rack-estate-

Kahurangi

Thanks all, I know a tow bar is The Solution for a MPV but they key thing is that we’ll only pan this vehicle for a year or so while Project New Van is built.

Roof rails aren’t totally out of order – probably much easier to get working before we go on holiday in a week.

Cheers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike Rack for Galaxy/S-Max types?’ is closed to new replies.