Bike parts stolen whilst locked up at work…legal help required please

Home Forum Bike Forum Bike parts stolen whilst locked up at work…legal help required please

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Bike parts stolen whilst locked up at work…legal help required please
  • project

probably one of your work mates is a Thief, simple as that

I’d curse and swear a bit, then take my bike into the office in the future. Trying to force your employer to pay will likely go down like a lead balloon.

hora

Look on the brightside. Now you can buy some decent brakes.

I wouldn’t leave any bike in any outside area unwatched.

Plus wanna make yourself popular at work with management?

Is it worth it?

TuckerUK

I had a bike stolen from work. A colleague organised a whip round and manage to raise enough for me to buy (a not as good but very welcome) replacement.

project

The problem is you left something that has a value to your workmates on show, and because the brakes alone where nicked it was probably somebody with knowledge of bikes or stolen to order,thats how the world seems to work now,plebs want stuff and somebody nicks it, the management may possibly make sweet noises about how sad they are at your loss, but probably want do anything to help you as its going to set a president if other stuff goes mising, or the same plebs start making up false theft reports.

Keep your ears and eyes open for somebody mouthing off about what theyve done, then revenge is a dish best served cold and long.

enfht

You’re making an assumption that they were stolen.

Maybe they evaporated in the hot weather, so why not contact Hope and try out their legendary customer service?

Premier Icon danti
    Subscriber

Afraid I don’t have a choice about leaving bike outside unwatched and as for being concerned about making myself unpopular with management, I’m not.

I don’t intend to attempt to force anything but being informed can be helpful.

Premier Icon danti
    Subscriber

You can always guarantee on here to get one smart arse reply

Premier Icon fadda
    Subscriber

What is it that your employer could have (reasonably!) done differently, to avoid this happening?

Not sure how they can be liable, but I’m not a lawyer!

T1000

Good luck, I doubt you’ll get anywhere….
    I had mine stolen …. The landlord (a major accountancy firm) denied all responsibility despite their security guard letting the thief in… And failed all their procedures …. It was on CCTV…..

I’ve avoided putting them on any tender lists and so far have awarded over 600k£ of contracts to their competitors

Hopefully your guys are far more reasonable!

Premier Icon danti
    Subscriber

If you had parts stolen off your bike whilst its locked up at work (in bike shelter) and your employer doesn’t display a sign anywhere disclaiming any liability for goods stolen off its property…

then where do you stand from a legal point?

Both Hope Mono Minis (calipers, hoses and levers) stolen.

Naturally I will try the softly approach with HR tomorrow and see what if anything they’re prepared to do, such as claiming on company insurance but don’t hold out a lot of hope (definitely no pun intended at the moment), but I’d like to know as a backstop where I stand legally.

Reported to site manager who wasn’t bothered (sure it would be different if it were a manager’s car that got broken into), no cctv, reported to police.

Any experience/advice much appreciated.
    Cheers

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Not sure they could be held responsible even without a sign, it’s your property so your responsibility.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Personally I think it would make you look a bit of a tool.

Sorry. It’s a bummer having stuff stolen but it’s your bummer not theirs.

trickride

T1000 – Letting a personal bike theft affect business competition is not only highly immoral but may attract some legal involvement. I’d be careful with that.

Premier Icon danti
    Subscriber

My employer could have had a real cctv camera installed rather than just a false one but hey ho I’ll just put it down bad luck.

The issue is if (or more likely when) they come back and steal something else from mine or any other bike secured there.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Then mention the security issues with them but don’t try to make them responsible.

b r

I’d have a chat with HR, first your bike, next some stock/asset – that kinda thing.

Also, is there somewhere safer you can park a bike?

How big is the company?

Premier Icon danti
    Subscriber

Its a newish building we moved to a couple of years ago which is near to a college and there’s obviously lots of footfall near (20 yards)to the bike shelter.

I raised bike security as a potential issue before we moved there…

Premier Icon neil the wheel
    Subscriber

Not sure why everyone is talking as though this is your fault! Tell your employer, tell the police. But if you want compensation it’ll probably have to come from your own insurance.

Only one? If I was your employer I’d laugh in your face at the suggestion of claiming on company insurance.

enfht

You’re the one who chose to leave your bike unattended then considered chasing compensation because your employer didn’t display a disclaimer.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Not sure why everyone is talking as though this is your fault!

No one is but it’s not his Employer’s fault.

Olly

Dont think its fair to hold your employer responsible, but you can now bring your bike into the office and lean it on your desk/work station until they improve the lockup?
    or insist they set up cycle to work, and get a less blingy bike to leave outside?

Premier Icon sweaman2
    Subscriber

I’ve no idea but I think a useful analogy might be helpful…

If a car in the company car park is broken into and items are stolen whose responsibility it is?

I suspect (but have no real knowledge) that I’d be claiming off my car insurance

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

T1000 – Letting a personal bike theft affect business competition is not only highly immoral but may attract some legal involvement. I’d be careful with that.

Only if he’s spending public money, otherwise it’s up to him who he puts on tender lists!

obelix

That’s the problem with the world nowadays… It’s never my fault, always someone else’s.

Premier Icon cb
    Subscriber

I don’t think it unreasonable to expect the company to care about their employees’ property. If I were the employer, I’d want to improve things with better security.

Basil

Happens often at my workplace. The scum have moved onto stripping parts (brakes popular) since HR started selling Abus D locks at cost.
    All thefts are reported to police but no claim against company. You get the crime number and directed towards your house insurance,I do not know of anyone getting a pay out for parts only.
    As a side point for those of us working mansize hours, some policies claim “abandonment” if bike is left for longer than 8 hours.

brooess

All I can say is I hope you can sort it.
    I mean, what’s the point in your employer offering you bike storage if it’s not secure? 😯
    No-one’s going to ride their bikes in if stuff gets nicked (Esp if as expensive as disc brakes) – so the whole exercise of offering facilities ends up a waste of the company’s money…

bigG

wallop – Member

Only if he’s spending public money, otherwise it’s up to him who he puts on tender lists!

only if it’s ALL his own money he’s spending with the selected vendors. if not, then it’s still immoral, and grossly unethical

OP, sounds like approaching HR is the best bet, but in reality I doubt you’ll make much progress.

Premier Icon mrelectric
    Subscriber

I had a bike nicked from the temporary bike shed about 5 years ago which was not as secure as the one old one. Bike was on a CtW scheme so was technically a company asset. Didnt bother with HR and spoke with senior Finance who handle the insurance ( not the CFO, they come & go). I claimed on my own insurance & the company’s paid the excess £250. I dealt with broker myself; all good. While people saw it was fair & reasonable to help, neither of us mentioned “liability” & they did not have to pay anything.
    In the OP case I’d be very wary of pushing liability to your employers regardless of any slight chance of grounds for a claim existing. It is not a trivial thing & they should have better facilities but its not likely to bother anyone responsible in most firms too much.
    A more constructive conversation might be around tax relief for capital Improvements & running costs to support secure cycle storage, changing facilities, showers etc plus all the proven benefits to the firm of having more bike commuters. CTC had info on all that, which I assume is still applicable.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Bike parts stolen whilst locked up at work…legal help required please’ is closed to new replies.