Bike Park Wales without uplift

Home Forum Bike Forum Bike Park Wales without uplift

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike Park Wales without uplift
  • Premier Icon stilltortoise
    Subscriber

Is Bike Park Wales still worth a visit if I don’t have the uplift? Are the climbs of interest or will it just be a slog to get to the descents?

The uplift is fully booked for weeks and weeks and weeks so wondering whether to still visit or plan some “traditional” riding instead.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

yes absolutely

there is only 1 ‘official’ climb (well 2, ST and fire road, they are parallel), it’s OK as long as you are not on a ‘sled’ (or ‘rig’) and used to riding a bit, I didn’t mind the climb at all.

bear in mind also you’re not obliged to do top to bottom every run, you could session the bottom 1/3 for instance which has lots of interesting bits

on the flip side the average descent gradient is steeper (and faster) than a typical trail centre so you would proportionally spend more time climbing out of the total. I used it as chill out time.

lots of threads on this already, search is your friend

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

My next visit will be pedaling up on the HT for a Day (Whenever I get a spare day)…

So long as you have some gears and settle into it you’ll be fine, I’d recommend taking the fire road route unless you really like singletrack climbing, it’s quicker and smoother and saves some of your energy for enjoying the descents…

lardman

I reckon you’d still get a chance to do uplifts, as the van frequently has ‘pay-to-play’ single journey spaces left. When it’s really full, pedal on back up.

nickfry228

It’s a slog.
    We did top to bottom about 3-4 times, and it was hard work. The uplift makes a huge difference.
    It’s still fantastic though!

Premier Icon everyone
    Subscriber

You’ve got to earn your turns 😉

Premier Icon welshfarmer
    Subscriber

I quite like the climb there. It breaks down nicely into 4 or 5 sections so makes it less onerous. It is always worth carrying a pile of pound coins though as you can often grab an uplift (£4) if there happens to be space when you pass.

Premier Icon stilltortoise
    Subscriber

lots of threads on this already, search is your friend

it might be your friend, but I couldn’t find what I was looking for 🙂

Thanks everyone

creamegg

what welshfarmer said. Usually spaces (at £4 a pop) available with minimal waiting time ime. East to mix a few climbs with a few uplifts.

Climb is not that bad anyway- I prefer the fire road that runs parallel with the singletrack climb, steep in one bit- rest is easy, takes about 25 mins (average fitness)

dc1979

I went a while back and on a pretty appalling day weather wise we managed about 6 or 7 full up to the top and down again runs.

I’m no race whippet and run a spicy which is fairly weighty so you can still enjoy it.

Next time I am booked on the uplift though!

The day we went I wouldn’t have fancied it. There were some sorry looking states dragging themselves up that hill

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike Park Wales without uplift’ is closed to new replies.