• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bike Park Wales tomorrow
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Going for first time to BPW tomorrow….. It looks like its a rain washout. What is it like when wet? Mud fest, ok or will I likely die? 😮

weeksy

Wet doesn’t affect the trails massively… however, the rain is still wet, it’s wet, cold and horrible..

Still fun 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

If I did t have to get back down to the south coast I’d be there

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve been twice, once in the dusty summer, and once a few weeks ago following a week of rain. It was grippier following all the rain!
    Mary on the front, whatever you fancy on the back. Much fun. Just a bit slower in the motorway type bits due to the tackyness of the track.

jekkyl

You’ll die defo, have you written a will?

typer
    Free Member

I was there Sunday gone and it was running nicely until my day was cut short by an off on Insufficient Funds, knocked myself out cold I did. Concussion, bruised ribs, bruising over my right kidney and slight whiplash……. not to mention a ruined TLD full face and mobile phone.

Sure you’ll survive though 🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

It runs brilliantly in the wet.

DezB
    Free Member

Mucky Nutz style guard essential!

oldtalent
    Free Member

Wets ok, peeing down isn’t much fun. I went home about 11 last time due to horizontal rain at the top.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The biggest challenge you’ll face is avoiding hypothermia waiting for the bus.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Its still pretty grippy and drains ok. Some of the bits through the forest can get slippy and a bit churned up.
    Take some spare pads and a change of clothes for the afternoon. Been there in December when it was lobbing it down, lots of layers to keep warm and its fine.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Spare clothing packed. I’ll mainly be mincing the blues I would imagine so I should be ok. Weather says not as wet now but it’ll be what it is.

goby

Let us know how you got on its great fun there!

patriotpro
    Free Member

The biggest challenge you’ll face is avoiding hypothermia waiting for the bus.

The bus service isn’t great is it… Although it’s not the wait but the length of time it takes to the top that takes forever.

ade9933
    Free Member

It will be awful. Please leave your ticket at reception for me and I will dispose of it for you appropriately.

weeksy

The bus service isn’t great is it… Although it’s not the wait but the length of time it takes to the top that takes forever.

How exactly do you propose they do it quicker? The hill can’t be made smaller!

joebristol

I went a few weeks ago and it had been pouring down with rain overnight and for a few days prior to that. Rain mostly held off whilst we were there.

Trails we did (most of the reds and blues) still ran fine – apart from one of the newer ones called Surfin Bird – I’d give that a miss if I were you as it was muddy and stodgy and not much fun.

You’ll still have a good day as long as you don’t get horizontal rain.

Uplift is fine once you’re on the bus – but we had a few long waits the other week which I hadn’t experienced before.

Tire wise I don’t think it matters too much what you have – I’ve been 3 times with 3 different brands /types of tire and none have been an issue.

Insufficient funds as mentioned above is really fun – just don’t get too over excited with the speed – there are 3 jumps close together about halfway down hay could catch you out if you carry too much speed. You’ll take off on the first one and smash into the up part of the next one, then even worse on the 3rd one! I only noticed this on the recent trip as I was carrying so much more speed.

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

@typer :didn’t know you came on here Stu.
    how’s the recovery going?

OP : cant advise on the wet. it’s always been cracking the pavements the 3 times i’ve been. 🙂

typer
    Free Member

Yeah I’m still feeling it Mike, headache has finally cleared up but my body and neck are still a tad tender. Luckily no permanent damage done apart from a slightly dented ego 🙂

funkweasel
    Free Member

Yeah it’s fine in the rain. It’s just wet. And muddy 🙂

gribble
    Free Member

OP, it will beat being at work in any event. Can not remember what I have had on the rear before, possibly an Ardent, but you do not need much rear grip as it mostly drains very well.

Hope you have a good day.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just drove past BPW, real arc building rain as we did – still would rather be there than heading towards a meeting with a golf bore.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bike Park Wales tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.