Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 179 total)
  • Bike Park Wales – Summer Uplift Hours Reduced
  • Northwind

TBH it’s not the price, for me, I think it’s awesome value despite my criticism. It’s more that it’s something that we do on holiday, and so I’d rather make more of my day. I’d pay more for a better uplift service.

(I think this is a pretty fair comparison- FOD and BMCC are pretty nearby and I’ve never ended a day at BPW as knackered and basically sated as I do at those two. Or Inners for that matter- which has a similarly shitty uplift road but gives you big returns in other ways, with the sheer amount of riding in every run)

nickc

Now lucky to get 8 so shorter hours it’s down to 7.

Blimey I did 7 runs in the pissing wet last year, and I took a long lunch, and slacked off early

Have a mechanical of any description and a good % chunk of your time evaporates too

Hardly BPW’s fault if your bike breaks though…There are some people determined to not have fun…You do know that’s what it’s for, right?

mashr

Hardly BPW’s fault if your bike breaks though

Thanks for pointing that out. However, it is another reason why a reduction in hours is bad news for riders.

ayjaydoubleyou

While quality can’t be measured by statistics, here are some numbers from a map:

vertical uplift
    BPW 233m
    FoD 136m
    Antur S. 204m

e.g.17 runs at FoD is equal to 10 at BPW.

Pedal from end of terrys belly to uplift: 200m
    Pedal from van to top of launchpad: 500m

mark90
    Free Member

The only uplift I have bailed early from as I was absolutely done in from the unrelenting number of runs (yes I know I can take a break) was Antur. Maybe it was all the pedalling from the uplift to the runs and back from the runs to the uplift pick up point. It always feels like there’s a lot more dead time at BPW than FOD or Antur.

local
    Free Member

Over the last few years I have been getting the impression that the uplift drivers at BPW are doing everything in their power to drive up the hill as few times as possible.

Northwind

ayjaydoubleyou

Pedal from end of terrys belly to uplift: 200m
    Pedal from van to top of launchpad: 500m

Um, you realise that from the van to the top of launchpad is flat/slightly downhill? while the pedal from the bottom trails at BPW is certainly not. Who measures the difficulty of bike riding in metres travelled?

I think you’re also discounting the singletrack climb at the end of terry’s belly, ie just counting it from the road.

SOAP
    Free Member

Local.
    They used to have riders drive the busses that understood the riders needs.
    Now they have fat old guys more concerned about wrapping the ends of the straps around your grips.
    WTF is that about?

blokeuptheroad

They used to have riders drive the busses that understood the riders needs.
    Now they have fat old guys more concerned about wrapping the ends of the straps around your grips.
    WTF is that about?

A bit harsh. Probably not the most exciting job in the world and I doubt they get paid much more than minimum wage. Yet still they are amiable enough if you make the effort to chat and treat them with a bit of respect instead of focusing on how fat and old they are.

SOAP
    Free Member

Not really blokeuptheroad.
    I pay money to get taken to the top of the hill so I want a streamlined efficient service.
    I ride uphill for free every weekend.

blokeuptheroad

Fair enough, we all have different expectations in life I suppose. I think they are decent blokes earning a crust doing a tedious and thankless job well enough all things considered. I’m sure people mocking their age and BMI motivates them no end.

Northwind

Always been pretty happy with the drivers tbh. I mean, the Flyup 417 guys are in another league but they’re really the exception. I think BPW’s obsession with checkig and doublechecking probably comes partly from that time someone’s bike fell off the trailer and was never seen again, that sort of thing gets under your skin a bit.

cchris2lou

what is the average time to get down ?

SOAP
    Free Member

4-5 minutes

mark90
    Free Member

I’ll wager it’s over 10 mins. The KOM on Sixtapod/Willy waver, arguably the quickest route from top to uplift, is over 5 minutes.

dc1988

I have found that I’ve been sat in a full bus at the bottom for 5-10 minutes on recent trips with no obvious explanation as to why. I would have thought with the uplift road widening it would mean they can set off at any interval. It almost seems like they’ve been told to go in convoy so you have to wait for 3-4 buses to load before you can set off.

JackHammer

Always been pretty happy with the drivers tbh. I mean, the Flyup 417 guys are in another league but they’re really the exception. I think BPW’s obsession with checkig and doublechecking probably comes partly from that time someone’s bike fell off the trailer and was never seen again, that sort of thing gets under your skin a bit.

Say what? :O

hooli

They used to have riders drive the busses that understood the riders needs

It is driving some sweaty blokes up a hill without crashing and without any bikes falling off the back, what exactly would the drivers be do differently if they were riders? Would it make you feel better if the drivers had matching Troy lee pajamas, a hat on backwards and they railed the corners on the way up the hill?

local
    Free Member

Perhaps understand that you are keen to get as many runs into your day as you possibly can? Every other uplift I have ever been on seems to get this so why not BPW?

greyspoke
    Free Member

Best uplift drivers were the aggregate truck drivers on the old Dragon DH days. Could be as scary as the ride down.

Paceman
    Free Member

4-5 minutes

Rubbish… unless you’re Sam Hill 🙂

The quickest descents are around that time, such as Sixtapod – Willy Waver etc; most are 8-10mins though, and Terry’s Belly is the longest at 10mins++

blokeuptheroad

hooli

It is driving some sweaty blokes up a hill without crashing and without any bikes falling off the back, what exactly would the drivers be do differently if they were riders? Would it make you feel better if the drivers had matching Troy lee pajamas, a hat on backwards and they railed the corners on the way up the hill?

😂 Thanks for a morale boosting mid morning chuckle 👍

SOAP
    Free Member

The blues may well be the fastest trails but they are the longest.
    If you ride blacks top to bottom you can do it in 5 mins

ayjaydoubleyou

Perhaps understand that you are keen to get as many runs into your day as you possibly can?

This very thread (sadly) proves that not everyone feels this way.
    If everyone was still queuing up at 4pm, I imagine they would change their tune.

hooli

Perhaps understand that you are keen to get as many runs into your day as you possibly can?

You don’t need cyclists for that, just a plan from management and a word with the drivers to say leave at XX time even if the bus isn’t full etc.

b45her
    Free Member

terrys belly 10 mins+ ??

i can get down there in 6 mins ish and i dont think i’ve ever had a clean run.

it’s pretty much 6 minutes of tedium too, left berm, right berm, left burm, right berm. . .

trumpton
    Free Member

only on stw could people complain about the drivers being fat and old offering what seems like a good service Bet them makes them happy to do their job. Surely mtb is about being part of a friendly inclusive community.

mark90
    Free Member

oikeith

it’s pretty much 6 minutes of tedium too, left berm, right berm, left burm, right berm. . .

God I hate Terrys Belly…

I’ve always found the drivers to good, last time I went one of the old boys kept cranking up the stereo and calling it the party bus. Another one had classic FM playing, was very relaxing ride back up.

Northwind

Paceman

Terry’s Belly is the longest at 10mins++

Maybe if you include the pedal over the top and the climb out at the bottom.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

The bottom line is this, however good, or poor the service, reducing the uplift operating times reduces the service that you get.

Some will finish before the day finishes regardless, they will be unaffected
    Some will want to ride non-stop all day and get in as many runs as possible, that will be fewer, regardless if they were capable of 20 runs or 6 runs in a day.
    Others will take their time a bit, space out their runs to keep fresh doing the same number over longer, they will get less chance to rest, or fewer runs.
    Some will have a mechanical, and want the time to catch up on their value for money

They sell lots of tickets, and run lots of busses (esp at the weekend) compared to the competition so they must be doing something right, even if its just the marketing!

TBH it wouldn’t upset me if more and more people started using the other excellent uplift venues around the country, I am sure they would welcome the business, and if it encourages them, and even new venues because people start looking elsewhere, then great.

vote with your feet, if you still think BPW is good value for what you get and are happy, go there, if not, go somewhere else!

Personally, I have always been a bit frustrated at how slow the uplift is at BPW, as said above there feels like there’s quite a bit more dead time than other places.
    Its towards the more expensive end of the uplift venues (if not the most) but it does have many trails.
    I prefer other venues, but still go there as others I ride with love it, maybe we will get to go other places more often

Paceman
    Free Member

b45her…

Have a look at Terry’s Belly full run on Strava, the fastest of all time out of nearly 15,000 riders is 8min50 …and yes I know not everyone uses Strava, but only the top 60 riders have done it in 10mins or less. You could get yourself an easy KOM there mate 😉

Northwind

Look again at “Terry’s Belly Full Run”, like I say it includes the link trail at the top, and the climb out to the fire road at the end, you’re talking about 2 different things. The actual descent has a 6 minute KOM, I just looked and even I did it in 9 minutes despite stopping twice and probably making a total arse of some of the berms.

b45her
    Free Member

the KOM of the actual descent is 5 mins, ive done a 6 and could probably shave a few seconds of that with a clean run and trying a bit.

DezB
    Free Member

Probably not the most exciting job in the world and I doubt they get paid much more than minimum wage. Yet still they are amiable enough

Holy shit. I was going to say something similar to this on page 1, but thought it so **** obvious I didn’t bother. Like, anyone would need that explained to them. Jeez there are some moany **** on here. Piss off and ride somewhere else if you don’t enjoy it eh? Simple.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Ten till four does seem a little stingy but I do love riding there and I’m sure will go at least a couple of times this year.  Drivers, trails, cafe and shop have all been good for me.  Life is so much more cheerful when you are easily pleased 🙂

Northwind

b45her

the KOM of the actual descent is 5 mins,

Is that one not just from the fire road?

tetrode
    Free Member

Look again at “Terry’s Belly Full Run”, like I say it includes the link trail at the top, and the climb out to the fire road at the end, you’re talking about 2 different things. The actual descent has a 6 minute KOM, I just looked and even I did it in 9 minutes despite stopping twice and probably making a total arse of some of the berms.

The thing that was being talked about initially though was how long it takes to get from top (uplift drop off) to bottom (uplift pickup) so yes, you do include the link trails and the climb, because that’s how long it takes.

Northwind

The uplift pickup isn’t at the bottom. And you yourself said “descents”

wrightyson
    Free Member

I do wonder why some of the posters have ever returned to bpw as they seem to dislike it massively. Good heads up re the cafe though, will check the website before we go in two weeks as laddo is a pain in the arse if he gets hungry!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘Bike Park Wales – Summer Uplift Hours Reduced’ is closed to new replies.