Bike Park Wales – Summer Uplift Hours Reduced

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 179 total)
  • Bike Park Wales – Summer Uplift Hours Reduced
  • SOAP

3 years ago you could get 11/12 runs for less money.
    Now lucky to get 8 so shorter hours it’s down to 7.
    If your a Pinner it’s shite, but if you want a expensive jolly with your mates then it’s fine.
    Shorter hours and a slower uplift sucks!
    They will be getting less of my money.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I couldn’t do 11/12 runs in a day even if it was free.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

This thread does have quite a lot of mentalness… But… OK, look at Antur Stiniog. Antur built their own road, it was a pretty fast way up anyway and when it became a limiting factor with bus damage, comfort, speed etc, they tarmacced it. Every trail ends by the bus, and the bus goes almost perfectly to the start of the trails. They really went out of their way to make their uplifyt service awesome.

BPW’s cafe and car park isn’t at the uplift circle, the uplift doesn’t start at the bottom nor run quite to the top, and the trails eject all over the bottom of the hill. Want to start your day, get something from the car or go to the cafe? Have to pedal back up to the uplift. Want to do the longer trails? Have to pedal back up to the uplift.

Took people a while to convince me of what should have been obvious- none of that’s by mistake, they’ve worked quite hard at reducing the efficiency of the uplift, in other words to reduce the number of runs you can do in a day, in other words to increase the amount of tickets they can sell per bus. That is basically a bit crap.

Similarly, the uplift road wasn’t built by them, it’s the original FC road but you can’t tell me they couldn’t have improved that if improving the speed of the uplift was important. They’ve improved the passing places but you still go through about 9 postcodes on the way to the top.

Now i’ll still go, next time we’re down there, and I’ll have a good day too. But that doesn’t stop me being a bit peeved at their cynicism, and the fact that they’ve intentionally built a worse centre than they could have.

nickfrog

Yes a lot of mentalness indeed, including blaming them for the topography of the place.

daiboy

Northwind, some interesting points there but as with some of the comments above, I take issue when you call their decisions cynical without knowing the full story. I’ll admit that I don’t either but i imagine that there is reasoning behind their decisions (beyond that of making cold hard cash). Imagine that the Welsh Asembly/NRW/FC said that they could use the land. It’s not perfect but they could work with it. Maybe that meant some sacrifices e.g. the haul road is a pre-existing forestry track, therefore it likely wasn’t built with efficient uplifts in mind. Presumably it is longer than the road at Antur. A macadam surface would cost hundreds of thousands. More so if they were to construct a new road straight up the hillside. As for the location of the visitor centre relative to the uplift, again, maybe they just had to work with what they were given – its current location is possibly the only suitably flat parcel of land which wouldn’t need regrading (again, £££).

I don’t wish to argue for the sake of it but it’s a bit harsh to cry cynical without weighing things up.

mark90

Maybe I’m a bit of a cynic and while I might not go as far as Northwind I can certainly see where he’s coming from.

Antur really feels like they are trying to give you the maximum bang for your buck, BPW ‘feels’ like they are trying to make as much money as possible with the least amount of wear on the trails.

I used to go quite a lot, not so much these days, only if a group I want to ride with decide to go there, were as I used to instigate rides there. I’ll still go and enjoy riding the trails, but certainly feed more jaded about the whole experience. Frustration that it just doesn’t feel efficient, and paying more money for less runs.

Edit: I was always first bus till last bus, so the reduced hours will certainly make me reevaluate the VFM.

nickfrog

Building an unneccesary asphalt road in a forest. What a stupid thing to do. This thread has gone full mental.

wrightyson

I’m there with laddo 3 weeks tomorrow, so i will report back to this very thread with, busyness of uplift, busyness of uplift during lunch for the drivers, number of runs and whether we got kicked off the outside seating whilst eating one of our own sandwiches whilst no doubt consuming their chips at the same time!

I really like BPW and think they’ve done a great job considering the complexities of building and running such a big operation. But the shorter hours is downright annoying. I know the number of people riding drops towards the end of the day but why can’t they run fewer buses then?

mindmap3

To be honest, I tend to avoid BPW these days because the uplift is bobbins and way to slow. I get way more runs at Revo, Stiniog and BMC which means more bang for your buck. I’m less concerned about the café etc and more concerned about getting as much riding in as I can.

I liked trails like Fifty Shades but you may as well finish in another county – it’s a bloody mission back to the start of the uplift and costs you a run or so I’m guessing.

“I liked trails like Fifty Shades but you may as well finish in another county – it’s a bloody mission back to the start of the uplift and costs you a run or so I’m guessing.”

Suddenly it’s not seeming like such a silly idea taking my ebike on an uplift day…

Premier Icon ajantom
    Subscriber

3 years ago you could get 11/12 runs for less money.

I managed 12 runs last time I was there in August, and that included an hour’s lunch, and a slightly late start.

Was on my own though, so less faffing.

I’ve done 8 runs in a day with a long lunch, lots of faffing and not trying to get on the first or last bus. What on earth are you lot on about? You can easily do 10 runs in a day with the new hours. Does anyone really need more than that?

JP

bombjack

Did 8 runs on Saturday, stopped for a sandwich at lunch and didn’t do first or last lifts so I don’t see why 10 or 11 runs wouldn’t be impossible. Could even have maybe got another 2 in at the end as we stopped at 4pm due to being so unfit.
    What was a bit of a ball ache was the big new troop carrier jobbie – great that it takes loads of people, bad that it the holds up all the other busses as its SO F-ING SLOW. It did end up being a bit of a bus-centipeide going up the road. So many runs though its not as if the trails cant handle the traffic.
    TBH the place was awesome as ever. Great runs, great chat between riders, only other negative was that as the cafe was closed there was a tent set-up doing the food outside, we got proper lucky with the weather as it was pretty much clear all day, but if it had been raining they would have run out of space pretty quick.
    That and there wasnt a space inside to have a traditional bike park Ale after, but you know 1st world problems and all.
    Looking forward to heading back when its warmer!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Thanks for that 🙂

Did they have a sign or anything up regarding the cafe re-opening date ?

dc1988

It’s a big bike park so 10 runs means you’ve still only done half the runs and when you consider that you need one run on any given trail to recce it, suddenly doesn’t feel like so much…

Can’t see anything in their disclaimer where you’re signing away your reproductive rights or house. Just sensible stuff to protect themselves from people who break themselves through no fault of BPW. BPW still have a duty of care, and liability if you are injured because of their negligence.

The £50 ‘fine’ for trespassing is a bit fanciful, and presumably for deterrent purposes against piss-takers. Obviously if you can start fining people on the spot for trespassing, then I need to take my wallet when I head out in a minute…

In the end the market will decide whether BPW has a good offering at the price compared with the alternatives.

bombjack

The cafe closed on the 4th Feb and will be shut for a few weeks according to their Facebook page.
    There are so many trails, only looking at the trail map now do I realise how many we didnt hit.
    Really surprised how quiet the trails are once on them. We caught a few groups of riders, but nothing like Cannock etc where you are constantly catching / being caught by groups.
    Oh, and there were a lot of ambulances and Mtn rescue out on Saturday. Be careful kids!

Went today and had a good time. Managed 10 runs without really going for it and taking a leisurely lunch break. There were only two buses running but bar two runs, I managed to jump on one pretty much as soon as I got to the uplift each time. There was a point briefly where one of the two drivers had to down tools due to his “tachograph””, “drivers hours” or some such, which meant a 10 minute wait. Mildly annoying and you’d have thought they’d have some contingency for this, but it didn’t affect things massively. Although the cafe is closed, they were serving a limited menu from a tent at the front of the building. I think it is a pretty good facility and fairly good value, especially midweek when it’s cheaper.

5plusn8

Re Northwinds comments. I agree with the issues 100%, however I don’t believe its deliberate or cynical, just incompetence.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

nickfrog

Yes a lot of mentalness indeed, including blaming them for the topography of the place.

Never did that.

nickfrog

Building an unneccesary asphalt road in a forest. What a stupid thing to do. This thread has gone full mental.

Never suggested that either.

By all means disagree with what I said but don’t take issue with what I didn’t.

I thought the tarmac uplift road at Antur was paid for by the zip wire business?

Van Halen

Tarmaccing the uplift would be a nightmare in planning and drainage and cost shedloads. And that stupid van they just bought would destroy it in seconds.

It’s not a simple as getting the local traveller to bung 30mm of cheap tarmac down any more.

And yea I thought the antur uplift was by others too.

rob8624

New management there are making some weird decissions. Airshotz have been told to finish.

JackHammer

Why would you want to do all the trails there in one session anyway?! I’ve been a few times and still haven’t ridden most of the blacks. I completely ignore blue belle and a few of the blues/reds becuase they just aren’t my bag. I get that you might be excited and want to ride “all the trailz!11!!”, but you’re better off “gitting gud” at a few of them, clearing jumps/awkward bits in my opinion anyway.

5plusn8

Interesting, I am the first person to agree that people should pay to when stuff has been built and the people you see parking on the road outside trail centres just to get away without parking fees etc are pretty sad. However this from their website is laughable.

Any rider caught tresspassing on the trails without a valid pass will be fined on the spot, this will be enforced by our marshalls.

I would be interested to see how this is legal or enforceable. Any attempt at detaining or forcing people from the site would be an assault.
    I was stopped there once, when I was climbing, by a teenager “marshal” who wanted to see my wrist band, luckily I needed a rest otherwise I would have just ridden on.

greyspoke

The same reason why private landowners can impose “fines” for parking. It isn’t actually a fine, it is an estimate of the damage they have suffered from an act of trespass (a civil wrong, not a criminal one). That may not apply to the fire-roads, which may remain subject to NRWs open access policy. (I am assuming the legal arrangements between NRW and BPW will mean it is BPW who have the right to take this action, not NRW. If you started on the trees with your chainsaw, it would likely be NRW on your case though.)

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I don’t see why it’s an issue.

If you bunked into Wembley you’d expect to be thrown out, fined, charged, if you got on a train without a ticket you’d expect a fine etc….

Why do people expect to ride on BPWs trails with no need to pay ?

5plusn8

Why do people expect to ride on BPWs trails with no need to pay ?

Well I agree, its low.

I just don’t see how it can be enforced. Civil fines need to be claimed from someone, you have no reg no on your bike, nor forehead, I just don’t see how they can do it. Plus some of the fireroads are public access.

In my mind I have a form of dualism, I think going on BPW or any other place purpose built for fun and not paying is bad, however I think anything more than a word with the person doing it is just as bad. EG anything physical.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

however I think anything more than a word with the person doing it is just as bad. EG anything physical

Well yes.. “You need to pay a fine”… “eeeeermmmm no, bugger off”..

It then starts getting complex. Sure many people would not get a bit fisty with the ranger/person, but some may be very much inclined to start giving him a kicking…. Realistically all they could do is kinda shuffle you off the premises…

5plusn8

Exactly, that’s my point, its pretty distasteful to have the statement on their website in the first place. It makes me not want to go there.

enigmas

Despite living 20 mins from BPW I’ve lost all interest in going since the price hikes and this is just the icing on the cake. It’s so hard to justify £10 a pop to pedal up and the uplift is getting slower and slower.

When it first opened and the prices were actually pretty reasonable and the uplift was much faster, I remember getting 12-13 runs a day even with the lunch break. I appreciate the investment they’re making on the trails but at the same time when most of their launch money came from EU funds and last years trail revamp from the national grid, it’s much harder to justify the price hikes and now reduced service (with the aim of cutting costs) imo.

greyspoke

Some appear to be reading a lot into the word “enforce”. The situation would have to be escalated over a number of visits. An honourable person, who wanted to challenge their right to charge, would of course volunteer their name and address so that the matter could be taken up legally. If someone persisted in trespassing and not co-operating, they could be photographed, if they drove to the site their the reg. number noted and so on, leading to identification, a court case and an injunction. Breach of the injunction would lead to a fine or imprisonment.

So fine if you feel happy with just riding off into the distance, but if you do it often enough then ultimately action would be taken. And remember, all it takes is one high-profile test case where the culprit is made to suffer and the rest will be discouraged. So don’t think you won’t be pursued because the cost of them pursuing you would be more than the loss you cause. It doesn’t work quite like that.

I have no connection with BPW at all btw, but I used to enforce other peoples’ rights for a living and so I am aware of the commercial logic behind it. If they had a problem with freeloaders and came to me for advice, I would advise them to pick the most clear-cut and least sympathetic target and come down on them like a ton of bricks in the most public way possible, no quarter given.

5plusn8

Greyspoke, that’s exactly what I mean, I know all about the methods you describe from my mothers days as a rambler (hisss) where they used to challenge landowners in the south east all the time.
    Which is why I made the point that “enforcement of fines on the spot” that is just practically and legally impossible.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Just to repeat, I didn’t suggest tarmaccing the road, I just said that’s what Antur did to improve theirs. There’s plenty of other ways to do it, not least putting the purpose built uplift circle in the right place, or stopping building new trails that end a horrible pedal away

(Antur’s tarmaccing pre-dates the zipwire by a fair bit- it was planned before Titan was announced though I don’t know who/how it was all funded in the end)

JackHammer

Why would you want to do all the trails there in one session anyway?! I’ve been a few times and still haven’t ridden most of the blacks. I completely ignore blue belle and a few of the blues/reds becuase they just aren’t my bag. I get that you might be excited and want to ride “all the trailz!11!!”, but you’re better off “gitting gud” at a few of them, clearing jumps/awkward bits in my opinion anyway.

It’s the same thing surely? If you want to git gud at the trails then riding them more is how you do it, ie doing more runs in your day.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Despite living 20 mins from BPW I’ve lost all interest in going since the price hikes and this is just the icing on the cake. It’s so hard to justify £10 a pop to pedal up and the uplift is getting slower and slower.

When it first opened and the prices were actually pretty reasonable and the uplift was much faster, I remember getting 12-13 runs a day even with the lunch break. I appreciate the investment they’re making on the trails but at the same time when most of their launch money came from EU funds and last years trail revamp from the national grid, it’s much harder to justify the price hikes and now reduced service (with the aim of cutting costs) imo

£32 for an 8 hour day… there’s not many other activities you can do for £4 for an hour. Swimming baths are about a Tenner.. hell, even a bus to the supermarket would cost more… But when you think about what you get for the money, it’s remarkable value.

If we do a motorbike trackday it’s £200 for the day now (Silverstone GP) and you get less track-time per day than trail time at BPW…. so for £32… bargain… really really is.

5plusn8

Yeah I think the price is OK. Its a pretty extensive facility and it is well maintained.

enigmas

£32 for an 8 hour day… there’s not many other activities you can do for £4 for an hour. Swimming baths are about a Tenner.. hell, even a bus to the supermarket would cost more… But when you think about what you get for the money, it’s remarkable value.

If we do a motorbike trackday it’s £200 for the day now (Silverstone GP) and you get less track-time per day than trail time at BPW…. so for £32… bargain… really really is.

£42 for an uplift day on the weekend, which is at least a fiver more compared to FoD, Antur, Revo etc. Sure they have more facilities but surely the bike shop and cafe should be self funding. It’s less about the price but more about how they’ve doubled the price of a pedal pass and added £12 to the cost of the uplift since opening, knowing everyone going for a weekend away will continue to pay, but making it substantially more expensive for locals to have an afternoon ride there for example.

mashr

weeksy

Subscriber
    £32 for an 8 hour day

10-4 isn’t 8 hours. Have a mechanical of any description and a good % chunk of your time evaporates too

5plusn8

I thought they had a locals discount scheme?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.