Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bike Park Wales, plus Commencal AM Meta 29er content.. Epic epic day.
  • weeksy

Went to Bike Park Wales today with Crust, it was advertised as a Downhill orientated bike park.

http://www.bikeparkwales.com

We turned up fairly early and looking in the carpark at the other riders i walked into the nicely stocked shop i decided to invest in a full face helmet and picked up a BELL, reason was, it fitted well and was well vented, it felt right the correct choice, the report later will show whether i made the correct decision or not.

We decided to do the trail based climb as it was our first time. It was a woodland based climb, it was quite tough, but far from ridiculous. rooty, rockey and semi-technical, well as far as climbs go. I’d compare it to Whites level at Afan, it keeps you interested and takes your mind off the fact you’re climbing for 40 mins.

The Commencal Meta AM29 was set to ‘trail’ and the suspension was nice, firm and stiff, but not silly.

We started off with the Blue route ‘Sixtapod’ this is very much as you’d expect in the genre the trail build Rowan Sorrel build, fast swoopy semi technical berms, not too complex, small rises to slow you back down when it gets too fast, small jumps, drops and what is a fairly sensible introduction. I noticed on this trail that no matter what i did, i couldn’t keep crust at the same disatnce, this sort of stuff is his bread and butter, it’s the stuff he trains on, the stuff he rides and the stuff his skills really come to the fore. It was a brilliant descent and we headed straight back into the uphill, getting it marked off and out of the way.

We then moved onto the Red. “Summary: Wibbly Wobbly, is rocky and loose at the top, amazingly fast and features a brilliant natural rock gap jump. As soon as you hit the woods the character changes and the trail narrows before opening up again for a fast set of grade reversals”
    This was a totally different kettle of fish to the Blue, rocky, when i say rocky, it’s more flat boulders and rocks than small rocky bits, rocks with jumps, rocks with drops and rocks with trees. I found the Meta AM totally in it’s element here, bouncing, bounding and flying down the trail with me screaming in my full face at Crust to get out of the way… he was slowing me down and holding me up as the Meta battered it’s way through the down. then onto ” Rim Dinger -Summary- This has to be the most talked about trail at BikePark Wales. This section of red trail may have claimed more punctures than any other trail in Wales but boy is it worth it! 1.2Km of sublime rock gardens linked by berms, jumps, rock ladders and step downs, we challenge you not to enjoy this trail

We jumped on the uplift mini-bus and i decided at the top to take the Red again, “Vicious Valley -Summary- Made famous by Tracy Mosely in episode 3 of the making of BikePark Wales series, Vicious Valley is a very tight, very fast red trail that has been surfaced to roll fast and be ridable in all weathers. Don’t be lulled in to a false sense of security though, there are plenty of roots to catch you out and a road gap for those who fancy”

Jesus, this was the next stuff up from the last Red we did and larger drops, jumps, roots and steeper descents.. it was arguably above my techincal limit, but the Meta compensated for my lack of skills and mostly just ploughed through things and oblisterated the trails.

We then stopped for lunch and had another climb ourselves and got to the top with the minimal of fuss, onto again the Blue from this morning, but picking up speed, once again, compared to my riding buddy, i was left wanting, he just carries that bit more speed than me, that extra little bit which meant he ends the sections 20s ahead of me. .but DAMN i worked hard… flying down the berms, nailing the jumps and trying my best.. i got the end of the blue breathing harder than i had all day… looking for gulps of air.

Overall, i was exceptionally pleased with the MetaAm. It is a massive ‘skills compensator’ but you know what, i can live with that. It climbs well enough, despite weighing as much as a car, but it flies down the tech stuff like it doesn’t exist.
    Bike Park Wales, well, i can’t see why anyone would ride Afan, Llandegla or Cwmcarn again when this exists. It’s the closest thing to the Alps we can find in the south of UK, it gives adrenalin, excitement, fear and speed all in a massive hit of endorphins. The rest of the trailcentres may as well close their doors now from my perspective, they can all give up.

The cafe, shop, facilites are all brilliant, great food, reasonable prices and cracking portions of cake and flapjacks.

Keep this going and they’re onto a winner.

I ended the day with 4 pints of San Miguel in the local and tea with my wife and my boy..

This is life.. it doesn’t get any better… never ever ever…

When i’m lying on my bed peeing myself through old age… i’ll think back to my first time at BPW with happiness.

creamegg
    Free Member

One too many san miguels?

weeksy

Not that i’m aware of, why ?

Twin
    Free Member

I agree, the Downhill runs at BPW are awesome, but the climb isn’t a patch on the old White’s climb, more a means to an end. I think its all about the down at BPW, reflected in the climb – I think its just a steeper version of the blue at FOD.

mssansserif
    Free Member

Nice write up. Really fancy BPW but it’s a bit of a trek. Maybe organise a long weekend trip make it worth while. Happy with the Meta then lol, I took mine a few laps round Cathkin XC course not quite the same though haha.

creamegg
    Free Member

Dont get me wrong BPW is good and offers something different but would you really not bother with any other trail centre in s wales? Been there a few times and for me it gets a bit repetitive. Wouldn’t want it to be the only destination for a trail centre ride

weeksy

.Dont get me wrong BPW is good and offers something different but would you really not bother with any other trail centre in s wales? Been there a few times and for me it gets a bit repetitive. Wouldn’t want it to be the only destination for a trail centre ride

Personally I can’t see why you would go to the others listed. Entirely your choice of course, but I won’t be.

Possibly I will change my mind after multiple visits of course.

creamegg
    Free Member

The descents at bpw are awesome but you cant beat variety, and the best trails in south wales are not in trail centres (imo). Its good to mix it up

matt_outandabout

Whaaaaaat?

therag
    Free Member

Good review, I didn’t ride there today but took the wife & kids around some of the blues & the green.
    I’ve rode there every week since opening but trying to go other places now too, to avoid uplift and get me some fitness.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

This thread is well written but missing a few select photos. Weeksy get on it …….

weeksy

In morning mate, too tired lol.

passtherizla
    Free Member

i broke my finger, my reverb and elbow… still had a great day sort of. 😉

bikeneil
    Free Member

This is life.. it doesn’t get any better… never ever ever…

It doesn’t matter what the destination or bike is. If a ride makes you feel like that then it’s all good. Nice write up.

robbonzo
    Free Member

I snapped my bike in half at bpw and still had an amazing time.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Glad you had a good day mate. I’ll be making my second visit next Saturday. My goals are: 1. Keep off the brakes a little 2. Get both wheels off the ground 3. Do some of the blacks 😀

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Everyone keeps saying the best trails in s.wales aren’t in trail centres. Anyone fancy pointing me in the right direction?

Andy

Great write up and as a result am now inspired to take the drive down from Reading to ride BPW. Thanks Weeksy.

Not a fan of trail centres as a rule but will be good to ride a Sorrel trail that I don’t find myself thinking bermy bermy samey samey. 😀

weeksy

jeffm
    Free Member

What? No dropper post?

kayak23

That man behind your bike, he needs directing to the toilet facilities (meagre as they are 😉 ..)
    Nice bike that, very nice. See it coming..

therag
    Free Member

Haha, that’s me shivering behind, the puddle by my feet is not man made:)
    I’m watching my kids on the pump track.

weeksy

.What? No dropper post?

Not yet. On the list though now. I just lowered it at the top of each run yesterday.

matt_outandabout

I like the look of that.
    The bike, not the iffy old Peugeot.

Euro
    Free Member

Hard to beat an epic day! And on a new bike. Double nice 😀

What size is thon frame?

Rubber_Buccaneer

What? Not KTM orange?

weeksy

Frame is a large. It feels massive but not when riding. Mate had a sit on it who rides a M zesty and felt happy.

I’m not in my KTM period currently.

therag
    Free Member

Weeksy, there was a photographer on enter the dragon and melted welly. She’s called airshotz if you want to see if she snapped you.

therag
    Free Member
    weeksy

Thanks therag….. bought.

If i’d known where the camera was i’d have posed a bit more and taken more of the berm.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bike Park Wales, plus Commencal AM Meta 29er content.. Epic epic day.’ is closed to new replies.