Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • bike packing – the tent?
  • HansRey

Hi,

I#m going away cycling for 2 weeks. 4 of those nights will be in a hostel, with the remaining 10 split between wild camping and on a campsite. Hopefully there won#t be any rain… 🙂 The bike will be kept outside the tent, so i can keep the tent small and light 🙂 (and good for sub24 hour trips in the future)

So which of the following tents would you take? I can’t decide, but i’m more tempted by the Gelert.

This one is cheaper, only 1.5kg and has nice reviews.

or…

This is more expensive, but better in heavy rain apparently.

cheers,
    Rich

PMK2060

I have the Gelert solo. It’s a great tent for the money but not very spacious.

matt_outandabout

Vango Banshee – can be had for £62 if you hunt around and a superb little tent. No brainer for semi-light, bombproof, waterproof and OK designed. (downsides= orange inside, not for you if you are over 6′, only really room for one, cannot sit up properly in it).

Drac

I have the banshee and it’s a good tent but as mentioned no room to move round, I’m 6′ 2″ and was able to fit and have my bag at my feet. Very easy to setup but it’s not exactly light.

epicyclo

Get one with the most volume – less condensation in the morning.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve a Terra Nova Laser Comp.

Got it last year when they where £130 in the sale.

Love it.

Chew
    Free Member

I’ve got a Terra Nova and its great. It has done me proud on a 2 week Scotland trip last summer, and it’ll be comming with me for a 4 week trip stateside with me this summer. Theres a knack to pitching it though.

Depends on how tall you are. I can sit up in it, but i’m only 5’6.

Forget the Gelert its only single skinned so you’ll get wet from condensation if it rains.

Bikepacking tent look for packsize as well as weight and dont forget to get some decent pegs. The Terra Nova ones are like tooth picks

asterix
    Free Member

I use a phoenix phlighter. It fits easily in a pack or on a bike rack. About 1.5 kg. room for two at a push:-)

TheBrick
    Free Member

IF there is a decathlon near you check out there ultra light pro T2 or whatever its called. Reasonable tent for the money. Better than the vango and Gelert IMO. I have an old T3 and have checked out the vango in persons and rate the decathlon above it.

New version
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-ultralight-ii-hiking-tent-grey-id_8245650.html

Old version
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/t2-ultralight-pro-2-man-hiking-tent-black-id_6539976.html

steezysix
    Free Member

I just got a Wild Country Zephyros – it’s a copy of the Terra Nova (they’re the same company) but uses less expensive (heavier) materials. It’s still only 1.6kg and if you use Go Outdoors price match against Sports Direct it’s only £90. Also won Trail’s best in test recently (I think).

Edric64
    Free Member

Look at the hydrostatic head for material quality ,5000 is more waterproof than 2000 but will cost more

Spin
    Free Member

Forget the Gelert its only single skinned so you’ll get wet from condensation if it rains.

No it’s not. It has an inner and a fly.

Spin
    Free Member

dont forget to get some decent pegs

I was shocked by the pegs that come with some lightweight tents now. Utter crap.

doh
    Free Member

Vango helium, 1kg and has lasted through some quite awful wind and rain perfectly

seosamh77
    Free Member

The gelert is ok for a 1 or 2 nighter, any longer would be a bit too much, its tiny. I refer to mine as the coffin.

Since its not to rain this weekend I’m opting for a 10 quid Tesco dome tent over it, weighs the same, but the extra space is more appealing to me. And I’m only going for 2 nights.

Simon

I’ve got a Coleman Bedrock 2 going spare, used 3 times, wouldn’t want much for it. Email me if you’re interested.

composite
    Free Member

I have a coleman avior x2. Pre-use write up and gallery here: http://www.composite-projects.co.uk/2012/07/coleman-avior-x2-tent/

It fit into the red dry bag on the front of the bike below:

It was great in heavy rain, not a single leak. Was quick to put up and I can recommend it. For summer wild camping trips I would like to get a tarp though to save some weight where I can.

dknwhy

For 10 days camping you’ll want something bigger that you can sit up in with cover for cooking. I’ve got a Lunar Solo from Six Moon Designs. It’s a single skinned tarptent but ideal for bike camping. Dries quickly, you can sit up in it and has a porch area for cooking and storing kit. Can fit 2 at a push as well.
    I wouldn’t even consider taking anything smaller than a 2 person shelter for a trip that long. You will get rained on at some point and it will be miserable if you don’t have a large enough place to shelter in.
    Check out the bearbones bikepacking forum for ideas and the blog for some of Stuart’s reviews. Also look at backpacking light for some of the stuff they import.
    If budget is an issue, with a bit of work, the Alpkit Delta tents could work for you.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I have the Banshee – great value and it works.
    Not perfect – Im 5’8 and I wouldnt want to be an inch taller.
    Very snug – a bit like sleeping in a coffin – but its going to be small for the pack size
    Main things are – keeps you warm and dry.

Im sure more expensive options will be a bit more comfy and a little lighter

HansRey

thanks to everyone for the advice. There’s some good tips, particularly on sizing, and i think it will help alot. I’m 6’3”, but i’m expecting the fit to be close.

Simon, i’ll email you now.

I’ll also check out Decathlon when i’m next in Sheffield (2 weeks). :d

gordimhor

I have the gelert it’s great value for money but I only use it for one or two nights at a time as it’s very small. I am also 6ft 3 and there’s no way to sit up in it at all. The waterproofing is okay but no better than that definitely would look for something with a higher hydrostatic head for a longer trip.
    Composite thats a tidy bit of packing there 😀

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

we have found that touring we wanted a tent we could sit up in (esp when changing) but this might not be so helpful for you as we also use a trailer. Preferably you want one that pitches outer first so the inner does not get wet when setting up and taking down. We also wanted a bit of a porch so we could cook in it.
    We always split our tent up as they pack down smaller (something we were recommended). We also have a compression bag for the material tent section. We returned from the Castles and Coast route south (started it on the 4th May) and had quite good weather – not a lot of rain. For camping in this weather you preferably want a Hydrostatic head (HH) of 3-4000.
    When we started touring we didn’t want to spend a lot of money just in case we did not enjoy it. We love the touring so we made of list of wanted and would like then matched our kit to the list.
    If you go into Decathalon take a look at their sleeping bags as I think they are good value for money, they make the xl – so longer and wider (if you get more than one they zip together).

danielgroves
    Free Member

+1 for the Terra Nova Laser, got one myself an absolutely love it. Been flawless since the day I bought it.

If it’s out of you budget the Wild Country Zephyros would make a good comprise, as steezysix said – same design, heavier materials.

Just remember, you get what you pay for. A good tent will last you years. Some cheap Gelert will get you wet within a couple and need throwing out.

HansRey

settled on a Vango Tempest. The value, coupled with good reviews and reasonable weight were the main factors. Due to where i’m living, i’ll need a seperate tent for any winter trips, so i think this should be good for spring/summer trips. I’ll write up some comments when it arrives 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member
    The gelert is ok for a 1 or 2 nighter, any longer would be a bit too much, its tiny. I refer to mine as the coffin.

Since its not to rain this weekend I’m opting for a 10 quid Tesco dome tent over it, weighs the same, but the extra space is more appealing to me. And I’m only going for 2 nights.

After just opting to use the Gelert at the weekend(it fits under the top tube nicer). My feeling is much the same, while I get more used to the smallness every time I use it(and realise you can just barge into the inners all you like.)

My thoughts are still pretty much the same, it’s a 1 or 2 day tent.. And even at that, I really wouldn’t fancy using it in anything much other that a few showers, extended period of rain would be a nightmare. Lack of any space to change in it means you are getting changed outside the tent, it’s a sleeping area only.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘bike packing – the tent?’ is closed to new replies.