Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Bike packing somewhere warmish in December – Any ideas ?
  • pb2

Fancied doing a ride around and over Mallorca but all the internet chat says no wild camping, in fact it would appear to be an offence for which you can get a hefty fine for. I want to go for 7 to 10 days, fly from Manchester or Liverpool with affordable flights which Manchester to Palma was/is.

Going solo so prefer someone thats not too dodgy. All advice thoughts gratefully appcepted. Thnx PB

scotroutes

Malaga seems the obvious answer.

https://www.transandalus.org/

pb2

Looks interesting & thanks. In general the Spanish authorities appear not to allow wild camping and the Trans link above encourages the use of hostels, approved campsites and their like which is fine but if I can find somewhere where they are relaxed about discrete wild camping that would be preferable.

whitestone
    Free Member

France allows bivvying but not wild camping. The definition of “wild camping” is a bit different from what we think of here in the UK. Basically obviously temporary, single night, camping/bivvying is fine but setting up a tent for several nights isn’t.

eviljoe
    Free Member

*Pulls up a chair*

Also interested in making a late December escape. It’s the butt end of the year, and also my birthday, which I never do anything on. Reading the transandulus with interest

pb2

Single night is exactly where I am going unless something goes wrong (1 man 1kg tent). I was a bit assumptive to think other countries  would be as relaxed as the UK, every day is school day when its comes to bike packing 🙂

convert

You considered Greece? Or Morocco? I remember reading an article about an mtb adventure in Morocco that really appealed. No idea about the legality/safety of wild camping – might take a bit of investigating.

whitestone
    Free Member

@pb2 – technically wild camping is illegal in England and Wales except for Dartmoor. But the usual “arrive late, leave early and leave no trace” applies, do it right and no-one would know you’d been there. Bivy where you can’t see house lights and it’s unlikely you’d be spotted – our last bivy/wild camp was in an open field.

The attitude, if not the law, seemed to be the same in France. I’ve not wild camped/bivvied in Spain so don’t know how things work there.

Edit: just seen you’ve posted the same question on BB – I’m same user name on there.

pb2

Morocco appears to be ok from what I know re wild camping. As for Greeece no idea, I have never seen Greece mentioned on any bikepacking thread which is on reflection is a bit of a surprise.

pb2

Cheers Whitestone – fwiw we tend towards tucking ourselves away. My 1 man tent is only 1kg and compact and not as noticable as the tent in your photo, plus I shy away from being close to people, houses, roads etc but the thought of some Spanish copper waking me up in the middle of the night and dragging me oFf to the local cop shop to be charged and fined would mess UP the happy go lucky vibe I’m seeking

convert

I have never seen Greece mentioned on any bikepacking thread which is on reflection is a bit of a surprise.

I’ve done a bit of riding in Greece in the past, hence the suggestion. Mostly on holiday and only day trips but it always surprises me how good it is both on road and off road. I could imagine a great touring trip there especially in the off season that was leaning towards a back country road and track combination rather than a full on off road experience. I suspect finding lush comfortable grassy camping spots might be a bit of an issue if that was what your were after.

pb2

Lush is a big bonus, we have slept in bus shelters, ditches and all manner of iffy places in the UK when the weather has taken a turn for the worse or a mechanical has scuppered our plans

sajama55
    Free Member

Lush might fit this year, doing some touring in Andalusia now. It’s very green up in the hills now. Granada  Jódar Baños de Ecina Andujar Villaneua and Cordoba going via the sierras. A nix of tracks and road, mtbs with panniers, last, 2 days on the Transandalus. Met 2 Scottish lads in the spring bike packing Alicante to  Malaga and a Spanish boy bike packing from Almeria to Valencia. Spain was made for bike packing masses of trails and old tracks.

pb2

@sajama  Thanks – you sound the man in the know. How much should I budget for accommadation and food per day, happy with cheap and cheerful accommadation and food simple and wholesome, thanks Paul B

lesshaste

Re Mallorca, I hiked the GR21 I think it is(north coast of Mallorca) a couple of years ago. We wild camped 2 or 3 nights and also used a pay for it campsite near the big monastery. Although it is technically illegal, we are a bit naughty and used to keeping our heads down,plus we didn’t see anyone at all on the trail after about 6pm. Water was a bit of an issue, probably less so on a bike because you can get further from civilisation in a shorter time. Don’t know how it will be in Dec, although my eldest lives there now, said it was 20 degrees and no clouds yesterday… lucky barsteward!

pb2

Given the full TA route is the best part of 1250 miles even the TDF guys wouldn’t do that in a week so does any one have any thoughts on which of the 8 sections I should go for. I would prefer to do it on my Tripster and would also prefer to avoid a hike a biking if at all poss, if the Tripster is a no no then I would opt for my Canyon Dude fatty. Thnx Paul

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I’ve responded to your similar thread on Bearbones. Based in S Cataluña and run a bikepacking trip every May. Never had any issues with wild camping as long as Rule 1 is followed.

sajama55
    Free Member

Hi We are getting a nice hotel room for an average of 50€ thats with 2 of us. Hostals/pensions cheaper, breakfast tostadas & coffee 3~4€ 3course meals during day 9~18 € with a drink  Could just drink and have free tapas.  Evenings dearer but not much, away from the costas Spain is good value. One bit of advice city breaks makes w/ends in big towns more expensive and less choice. Not been stuck accommodation wise, we book early afternoon knowing that we will get to the booking . Tonight a 4star in Cordoba for 58 €  and underground parking for bikes. if we hunted around could pick up a very cheap pension.

pb2

Thank you all very much. I am sure this info will be put to good use as I am going to spend the majority of 2019 bike packing with the eventual aim of a 3 or 4 month ride

poolman
    Free Member

It was 21 yesterday in alicante.  I am in London and its cold and wet, and goes dark at 3.30…..

You can wild camp easily in spain, I know a few cyclists who do it, just hide and leave early.

The police would only move you on, but seriously stealth wild camping is not high on their hit list of crimes.

I would be more worried about wild bore taking a fancy to you.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Bike packing somewhere warmish in December – Any ideas ?’ is closed to new replies.