Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bike packing saddle bag for a non bikepacker
  • davegt
    Free Member

Afternoon folks

I am going on a 2 day ride being termed “micro adventure” by my riding buddy and avid bikepacker. I am not sure why its described as “micro” I suspect it is to lure my into a false sense of security, masking the horror of midges, heavy and un-rideable bikes, rain, wet tents, and dreary food with something more palatable for a first timer.

So by way of appeasing me, we are staying (gasp!) in a hotel for the night. PHEW!

However I am going to have to carry stuff for an overnight stay in the hotel. Basically, some spares, food, tools, a change of clothes, hip flask etc..

So, what are the options? I don’t want to scrimp and buy something that leaks, breaks or swings about during riding. Its going on my Orange Crush 29er. I am considering the following:

Fiana

https://www.apidura.com/shop/backcountry-saddle-pack/

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/bikepacking-series/969-backloader

Any thoughts or personal experiences?

Thanks!

Dave

hardtailonly

Well, you can spend £90+ on one if you really want to …

If this is something you’re just dabbling in, I’d have thought anything from Alpkit would be spot on, and rather cheaper.

I’ve gone cheaper still and have the Podsacs stuff from Planet X. Used for three nights in the last year, and it’s been fine. The seat pack is pretty good, bit of a swagger round bends but use some inner tube around the Seatpost and cinch the straps up tight, and I’ve found it fine.

You’ll not be able to use them easily (at all?) with a dropper. Although think Alpkit do a dropper-friendly attachment/pack.

scotroutes

Do you not have a small backpack?

13thfloormonk

I’ve just bought a 6l Topeak Backloaded for similar jollies, e.g. multi-day but staying in hotels etc.

It seems perfect, I’ve tried it with a merino base layer, a pair of loose hiking trousers, a rolled up fleece, spare pair of bib shorts and spare riding jersey inside. I’ve also found two different ways to lash my flip-flops to the outside of the bag.

The internal stuff sack with air valve is genius, you can compress things amazingly small.

Haven’t tested stability yet, but not going to put anything heavy in it and with the above kit it doesn’t really hang very far back anyway.

I was going to experiment with an old pannier rack and dry bag combo just for cheapness but a micro-windfall came my way so I just hit the button on the saddle bag.

Edit: just noticed the OP’s kit list. I’ve got tools in a plastic tool ‘bottle’ in a cage on the seat tube, food and rain jacket in a frame bag slung below top tube. I was tempted by a wee stem cell bag but food is easily enough stored in the top tube bag and of course I now have jersey pockets free also 🙂

butcher

First rule of bikepacking (or cycle touring) is don’t pack what you don’t need.

What exactly you need is generally learned from experience and will depend on the ride.

If you’re staying in a hotel however, unless you’re going out to some really remote places and need some emergency backup, you’ll likely need little more than you’d take on a regular ride. Maybe a warm jacket, but if you have something packable, I’ve often shoved one in a food bag and strapped it to the bars while out riding in winter…

Otherwise, the Planet X stuff is probably fine. Or something a bit more posh if you plan on doing it more often.

jimdubleyou

Podsacs really are good value.

They aren’t month long expedition standard, but they are good enough for a night or two away.

If you want to use almost all of your dropper post travel with it fitted, get one of these too, and sell it to your bikepacking mate when he realises how awesome it is.

https://www.gbcycles.co.uk/p/125754/Topeak-DP-mount-for-Dropper-Seatposts

martinhutch

If you’ve got a dropper (and want to use it), carry a small rucksack (how big does it need to be for a change of clothes and some toothpaste?) or buy a drybag and a few straps and lash it to the bars.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’d get a tapered dry bag from Alpkit – https://alpkit.com/collections/bikepacking/products/airlok-xtra-tapered and just use the straps to fix it to the saddle. A bit of innertube around the dropper will protect that. If you decide you want to do more then you can buy a seat harness and the dry bag will fit into that.

Someone on Bearbones 3d printed a collar to fit around dropper posts that was deep enough for the strap used on Wildcat seat harnesses. Can’t find the thread with it on now.

davegt
    Free Member

Thanks all for the replies.

I have a small pod sac and its a mare, always slipping down and rattling about. For a tenner or whatever it was, well fair enough. Never thought to put inner tube round the seat tube. Thank you!

Guess its not about the money. Spending 30 quid on something totally compromised is worse than £90 on something that’s great and will last for years.

I avoid rucksack as I don’t like the extra pressure it puts on the ass bones!

Heading off 2 weeks on Sunday, cant wait!

swanny853

A small dry bag type bar bag might be the cheapest way to pack an overnight kit as they’re simpler than a seat pack. I use the alpkit joey and a tough dry bag for touring but you should be able to get away with a a much smaller size than I use. That and(/or) a small rucksack should let you spread the weight so you don’t notice.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

OP, any reason why choosing a saddlebag rather than a frame bag (medium one should be more than sufficient)?

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve gone cheaper still and have the Podsacs stuff from Planet X. Used for three nights in the last year, and it’s been fine.

Me too, used it all quite a lot really. All works fine, seems robust enough. Use the frame bag inmost of my MTB bumbles to carry stuff as I seem to have lost. My camel back. Use the bar bag on longer MTB rides to carry kit for my son etc. The seatpack has been used for some commutes too. Used it all for a few longer trips. Does the job well. Much heavier than my mates apidura stuff and no doubt less robust but it suits my occasional use needs.

blitz

Recently got this for my wife. Really impressed for the money.

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/13l-bike-seatpack-drybag.html#SID=119

Already had their frame bag after a recommendation from scotroutes that it would fit my Orbea Occam. Really good kit.

scotroutes

Recently got this for my wife. Really impressed for the money.

Nice bag, but…….

Put something rigid along the bottom of it (inside) – the full length – and it works best when packed full. The saddle straps have tendency to split the contents in two and the rear part can sag.

blitz

Cheers for the tip. Will try that as hoping to do a night with our girls this Saturday.

davegt
    Free Member

Sadly, the frame design and bottle cage precludes a frame bag. Also, I wanted something with more flexibility to go on my other bikes.

I ended up buying an Apidura Back Country saddle pack. If arrives later this week. I actually saw a lad with one when I was out this weekend and stopped to pick his brain. Looks really well made and not prone to sagging or moving about too much

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bike packing saddle bag for a non bikepacker’ is closed to new replies.