Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bike-packing bags on a budget
  • wl
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend some bike-packing gear/brands for someone on a budget? And which bits are best in order of priority – bar bags, frame bags, seat post bags etc? I want the best kit available for the lowest price (doesn’t everyone, I know). Needs to be good for UK weather and using on rough trails, but I won’t be using it loads so it doesn’t have to last thousands of miles. Ta for any tips.

scunny
    Free Member

Planet X Podsac stuff is cheap, not sure about quality but i’ve bought a few bits which feel ok. Haven’t had chnace to try them yet though.

singlespeedstu

Will
    I’ve got some stuff you can have for a good price
    Send us a PM to remind me in a couple of days as I’m tied up with work atm

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a few low price brands about these days, I’ve not used any so can’t comment on their quality or potential longevity.

As for which to get first – you need to balance things out on the bike but have a bit more at the back as too much on the bars affects handling. Work out what you want to take (this will be less than you think) and take a guess as to what sort of volume it will pack into. Leave some space for food and consumables. If you can get a bundle of all three of the big packs (handlebar, frame, seat) then you can work out what works best for you.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Spent a small fortune on a seat bag😕

For summer BPing I really don’t need a seat bag as I can pack big bar bag, pods and frame bag with everything I need,,,,,,

Endura hummvee shorts come in very handy as well.

oreetmon
    Free Member

Uraltour Bikepacking Set

Not used but reviews/price seems good. Hand made to order as well.

scotroutes

I don’t use a frame bag. Seat bag and handlebar bar bag are usually enough and leave space for water bottles.

I’ll also – again – bang the drum for spending on good, compact, lightweight camping kit rather than luggage and then trying to carry it in a backpack.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I scoured ebay over the course of a few months and picked up a few second hand bargains on Alpkit stuff. Used once kind of kit.

I opted for a handlebar bag first, but the first bargain that came up was a used cockpit bag for phone etc. for a tenner.

ransos
    Free Member

Lomo for your saddlepack.

scotroutes

The Lomo seat bag is a good one but (as with many) needs carefully packed. The central strap doesn’t really work well if the bag isn’t fully packed. It also helps if you have some sort of stiffener the length of the pack (eg poles).

wl
    Free Member

Cheers folk, useful stuff. I’ve already got the lightweight camping kit as I’ve done plenty of wild camping and a bit of bike-packing too, just never had the proper bags (used a 45L rucksack before and it wasn’t ideal coming down trails like Warnscale!).

Stu – cheers for this, will defo PM you in a day or two. Defo interested as second-hand will help me keep costs down. Hope you’re both keeping well, of course.

trailwagger
    Free Member

As above Planetx pod sacs are great value for money. I have also heard from very experienced bikepackers that the Roswheel stuff on ebay is pretty good too.

whitestone
    Free Member

45L 😳 Chuffin’ hell! I never used a rucksack that big even when mountaineering and had to carry rope, kit, crampons, etc. as well as bivy kit. That was back in the 1980s when kit was heavier and bulkier than it is now.

Think along the lines of 15L for UK summer and 20L for the cooler months.

There’s a 3L Alpkit Gnaro on the front of the Solaris which is hidden by my helmet. This was for a summer overnighter in the Dales. Probably about 15L capacity in all the bags.

bikes

This year’s JennRide, about 12L capacity:

spearfish

Setup for three days in the Dales with tent and sufficient food and fuel. I’ll guess at about 18L in total.

solaris

jakd95
    Free Member

If you get tempted by an Alpkit seatpack, I really rate the exo-rail bag support that you can get with it. (it’s an additional loop of metal that clamps between the seatpost head and saddle rails). Really helps to firm things up, particularly as the Alpkit seatpack can move around a bit. Not had any problems with shifting seatpack or straps undoing since, works well with a dropper too.

wl
    Free Member

Yes, it was a lot of kit. We were out of season tho so had a tent, 3-season bags, big down jacket, some booze etc. Not exactly travelling light – I won’t be doing it again.

bearGrease
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bike-packing bags on a budget’ is closed to new replies.