Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bike Nerd Sightseeing
  • stwhannah

My boyfriend/partner/subject of many a coded reference in things you might have read is coming to visit the UK (and me). He has never been before. He is a bike nerd, of all things bike. If it has wheels and pedals he is interested. If you want to see anything go on the website or in the magazine for the rest of this year, I will need to get him out of Singletrack Towers or he will be a terrible distraction to all of us.

A sure fire way to keep him away would be to send him on some day trips. I need local bike shops for local people that have been there since 1950. Old people who can talk about the good old days of 1961, or 1982. Oddballs who build beautiful bike things. Ideally accessible by public transport from the Calder Valley, because much as I love him, I’m not letting him drive my car.

What sights do you suggest, in Northern Rail territory? I might make a trip to the Shropshire/Wales borderlands to show him that castles are real and that it really does rain everywhere in November, so some options there might be of interest.

I’ve got riding covered, it’s the indoor stuff for when all 3 pairs of riding shoes are still on the radiator after a week of solid rain and with another wet week ahead (he doesn’t believe this happens) that I need. Obviously I have some ideas, but I don’t know all the hidden corners beyond the Calder Valley. Hive mind suggestions please!

richardkennerley

Simple. Blackpool.

£10 return with the current NR offer, only an hour-ish from Hebden direct.

There’s a Halfords so that’s the bike bit covered 👍

bigginge

Not sure if he takes visitors but he probably ticks a few bike nerd boxes.

http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/

senorj

Dave Hinde factory tour?
    Does he fancy a sick tattoo?

stwhannah

A tattoo… good suggestion. Ha!

gnusmas

Come to Carmarthen and have a coffee. Get hassled by 4 kids while your here, you’ll soon want to get out on your bikes again – wet kit and all.

stwhannah

@gnusmas That would result in you having 5 kids in your house, one of whom has just built a high pressure water bottle rocket launcher out of a few metres of drain pipe. I’ll spare you that, I think you probably have enough on.

@richardkennerley
    if I decide the relationship is not working, I will suggest Blackpool.

@bigginge
    Plastic bikes! Maybe…

matt_outandabout

just built a high pressure water bottle rocket launcher out of a few metres of drain pipe.

He’s welcome at mine. Except we insist on proper explosive propellant…

York is always worth a wander, especially for a visitor. Just before Christmas for added vibe. The railway museum is a day in itself.

There is nothing that says ‘proud UK’ like a visit to Scarborough in January. It’s all glamour and middle class trendY. Poke of chips for two. 😉

Get the train to Sheffield or Penistone then cycle to Glossop on road.

Liverpool – Tate Modern, docks, Beatles tour and ferry…Strawberry Fields if you want to see my old student digs…

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I will put you both up for a night in mid Wales. (Genuine offer)

We have the National Cycle Museum in walking distance. The largest collection of bikes from day 1 to modern world record setting carbon exotics.

I can arrange a guided tour. It is fantastic for bike nerds.

Can sort out some rides too. Night ride with the local shop crew or a day ride around Rhayader or somewhere. BPW and BMCC all pretty close by too.

Gravel rides available if desired. Or even road if you want.

Train station in Llandrindod if you really want to suffer.

Oh, and the new Dyfi bike park is a nice little drive over the mountains.

PJay
    Free Member
    gnusmas

That would result in you having 5 kids in your house, one of whom has just built a high pressure water bottle rocket launcher out of a few metres of drain pipe. I’ll spare you that, I think you probably have enough on.

@stwhannah
    Nah, they’d all probably enjoy that and it would entertain them for a while. Win win in my book!

nwmlarge
    Free Member

book him on a frame building class?

stwhannah

@mary hinge @Pjay thanks for the tip (and offer). I’ll see if I can work an extension into the planes Revs trip. Sounds like maybe it’s more promising than the website would make it appear!

@nwmlarge
    he can build 🙄 https://www.biketinker.com/page/20/

Houns

If they’re a bike nerd then they’ll appreciate a trip to CYB to ride the original trail?

stwhannah

Thought I’d post an update: bike nerd sightseeing has been very much restricted to ‘look with your eyes’ since a broken arm has kept him off the bike (until Thursday, when he went full-messenger on a Brompton in London, in an effort to catch a train. To the many pedestrians of London, we are both very sorry).

However, ‘look with your eyes’ went very well thanks to @mary-hinge who is definitely not an axe murderer, and not only did not kill or torture us, but in fact proved to be an amazing host. Not only did he (and Mrs Hinge) put us up for the night, make us good coffee, provide entertaining conversation and take us out on the town, but he also arranged a very fine tour of the National Cycle Museum. Also, this kind of thing is what I love best about the Forum. That and the puns.

The NCM is confirmed bike nerd heaven. You should all go. Maybe leave your families behind, just go and nerd out in your own time at your own pace. We also found a bike recycling place in Newtown, a few good old bikes in the rafters of All Terrain Cycles in Shipley, a jumble of intrigue in Ellis Briggs, gritty smiles at Revs, and apparently we have to go back to London because it’s much more interesting to a bike nerd than many cities. Thanks to all for the suggestions and especially to @Mary_hinge for the hospitality.

tthew

Sounds like a great trip, and you definately the British weather you wanted!

That bamboo bike is ace, primarily because it doesn’t really look like a bamboo bike. 👍

matt_outandabout

Where is that like button hidden?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Was great to meet you both @stwhannah and a pleasure to show you around.

Glad you both enjoyed the cycle museum. It really is bike nerd heaven.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bike Nerd Sightseeing’ is closed to new replies.