Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • BIKE Mag / Beta Mag
  • bentudder

Massive YAY for this: https://www.betamtb.com/

Looks like they got the gang back together for one last job. I’m trying to find out if the annual sub covers deliver of the print mag outside the US – POM and Beta’s web site make no mention, and for $41 a year, it seems like a good companion to yer usual STW subscription.

More skinny here: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/former-bike-mag-staff-launch-new-beta-title.html

Up with this sort of thing.

lawman91

Yeah great news! Always looked forward to Bike’s Bible Tests. Subscriptions isn’t bad either, but also couldn’t find out whether it’s print outside the US for definite. Reading the wording on my account, I don’t think it is, but I’m not too fussed, I get digital which is fine by me.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Excellent my fav bike tests are back 👍👍👍👍

tangent
    Free Member

Hello thanks for posting this… have just signed up for a subscription.

Print option is on available to folk located within U.S.A

So digital only, but it looks like quite a wide portfolio of magazine beyond just The BETA (Band) crew…

Feel like prob worth a punt, would love a quarterly print option as have Bike magazine since the Premier issue (1994). For now am delighted , “it continues” as Pete Tong say’s.

stwhannah

@tangent did you know you can get Singletrack posted out to you in the USA? I think it’s an extra tenner or so on the usual subscription price to cover postage.

chipps

I signed up and then (three clicks into the FAQ) discovered that you don’t get the print issues (or free books or whatever) outside the US, and if you cancel, you won’t get a refund…

Best of luck to them though. And good to see Ferrentino on board again/still.

tangent
    Free Member

@stwhannah … that’s cool I am actually a U.K. based rider …if the beta crew offered a similar option would be a nice … but can also understand why it could be a a bit tricky.

Very happy with digital in general. However anything that reduces screen time, provides an analogue escape from apps etc. is pretty vital in my ‘book’ , even more so in these funky present times. All that said, am just pleased that the former Bike magazine crew found a way to keep on …

bentudder

I signed up and then (three clicks into the FAQ) discovered that you don’t get the print issues (or free books or whatever) outside the US, and if you cancel, you won’t get a refund…

Yeah, that’s not so good, and terrible UX. I’ve finally caved in to epub stuff after years of resisting it, so I sort of went in 50:50 expecting it to be online version outside the US and preparing to not be peeved that I couldn’t enjoy that fresh litho smell four times a year.
    On the positive side, the basic sub does get you access to some premium-only writing from some familiar faces, which makes me happy. Bit like this place, really – that Chipps fella must’ve been onto something, you know.

Northwind

No such thing as a digital magazine tbh, just weirdly formatted websites… So I’m out but I’m still glad it’s happening, and I reckon I’d be in if I could get a paper one.

tangent
    Free Member

@chipps have already read Ferrentino’s latest piece…was relieved and delighted that his writing persists…been enjoying since no. 1 1994.

I asked about print option, (after already subscribing)…here was the response.

“ John,
    We always hope to improve our offerings and that hope includes adding non US residents to the print option.

Thank you”

chipps

News update… I sent feedback through their ‘portal’ about the confusing wording and got a couple of very good replies back. 1. They’ve promised to make things clearer and there will be an option to send ‘your’ print copy to an address in the US. So, you could send the mag to an American friend either as a gift, or to look after until you go over there, they come here, or they can save them up and post them in one go to you at the end of the year.

“I apologize for the confusion, we are going to change the verbiage that suggest international members can receive a print copy of the magazine, because believe me, you are not the only person who was expecting a print magazine based on the language used on the sign-up page. Keep an eye out in the future, we are trying to get some programs in the works that make our offers more attractive to international members. 

“In the meantime, you can access all of the same content that is in the print edition through post on the website. The posts on the Beta MTB website are articles from the magazine. If you aren’t interested in the membership we can absolutely refund you! Especially since we took your feedback and made it clear that print subscriptions are only available in the U.S. in the help center.”

and then

I just changed some of your information on the back end and you should now be able to send the print magazine to an address in the U.S.

1) Sign in
    2) Go to My Perks
    3) Click on Magazine
    3) Choose your option
    4) Submit the address 

Then you should be good to go!

Not sure if that’s just for me, but it should be possible for anyone who’s signed up to contact them. They were very helpful to me.

bentudder

Hmm. I went for the $41ish version, and the magazine is listed as Digital, with no way of changing the option. Just asking now – so will see what they say.

tangent
    Free Member

Oh that’s neat…thanks for enquiring further Chipps.

bentudder

Here’s the reply I got back the other day:

At this time we only have the ability to send print magazines to US residents. If you have someone in the US that can receive your copy and forward it to you, you can put a US address on your subscription.

I’ve asked if they have any plans for international distribution, and will see if I can arrange some form of Marmite or teabag-related trade arrangement with a friend in the mean time…

chipps

PSA – and slightly annoyingly… there’s a one day sale/MUCH CHEAPNESS offer going on right now – today only…

$14 or so it seems… Beta Offer

And remember, it seems possible to change to a US address for the print mag (otherwise you just won’t get one) so that you can get it sent to Auntie Floss over in Florida and collect when you see them next…

chipps

Although I’ve just tried changing my address and it didn’t work. Back to customer services…

panzerjager
    Free Member

Has anybody managed to access, or even find the digital version of the mag?
    It was released on March 30th, print subscribers had it slightly earlier than that but the digital copy is nowhere to be found.
    Have emailed for clarification but no reply as yet.
    Going to try the change of address thing too, see if I get a print copy for a friend but would be grateful if someone has found it & could point me in the right direction!

vondally
    Free Member

Only via the email I was sent cannot find it on my feed or web pages….not could I work out to Download.

jwoz1970

I was wondering the same thing re the digital mag. I am based in Australia and was seriously bummed when I found out I couldn’t get the print issue as I DO get the print version of OUTSIDE, which is part of the same publishing company.
    Anyhow, will email them myself as well regarding how to find/download the digital version of the mag (and start searching for any lost USA-based relatives I don’t know, so I can get the print version sent to them!).

jwoz1970

EDIT: Sorry folks. I just tried again through my BETA newsletter and got the digital version to work. And even managed to download it to PDF format. Still not a print version, but looks very nice just the same!
    Cheers,
    JW

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘BIKE Mag / Beta Mag’ is closed to new replies.