Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike Light Newbie – improving mounting hardware.
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57111843@N03/45628703542/

Took my first night ride last night which was great – bought myself some cheap lights from Amazon – put out loads of Lumens, but they don’t have bounce about a bit.

Anyway of improving this rubber band set-up? The mount moves a touch, but doesn’t seem to want to come off.

CraigW
    Free Member

Wrap a bit of inner tube around the bars. The O-ring needs to be pulled fairly tight when fitted.

jekkyl

Absolutely what Craig just said. I wrap old inner tubes bits round and secured with Gorilla tape. The band has to tight as **** and they can take it for years.

nedrapier

You might find this* fits in place of the rubber band clip.  Worth a try for £6 if you can’t get it tight enough with some tape round the bars.

*this: http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/product-quick-release-mt.html

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What CraigW said, except I use silicone self amalgamating tape as it’s much grippier. And replace the O-ring with a zip tie bent around the hooks (as long as it’s the only bike the light needs to be on and you’re not planning on removing it every day).

I’ve had that light before, hate to say it, but it’s awful, it’s the only chinese light I’ve actually thrown away. I’ve still got my original P7 as a backup in preference to that one.

A bazillion claimed lumens, at best 1500 actual lumens (which TBH is plenty), but the body is really tall and heavy so bounces around a lot as you found. And the battery was complete garbage (this may vary depending on te supplier, but it was the one that killed my faith in Chinese supplied batteries).

My current bar light is a BT70 which is actually about the same size but a lot brighter. The amalgamating tape stops it wobbling too much (it still bounces a bit, but not so much that the light goes SKY / WHEEL / SKY / WHEEL / SKY / WHEEL / SKY / WHEEL .

cookeaa

I’ve just replaced the O-ring type mount on an old Solarstorm X2 with a Go-pro mount so I can clip it on my lid or on a Go-pro barmount.

zippykona

I’ve used skateboard grip tape on my bars for lights that are really determined to move.

z1ppy

I’ve also just bought that head unit & was impressed with it performance until it rattled loose from the c&b seen mount (same the hope branded mount). Though I had just put it together 5 minutes before the ride, so now it’s gone back together with loctite, & I’m looking forward to my next night ride.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Thanks for the help.

Cant get the current mount off the thing. Planing to tape the bars and hope for the best.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bike Light Newbie – improving mounting hardware.’ is closed to new replies.