Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Bike Jumble Exeter – anyone interested?
  • amedias
    Free Member

Would anybody be interested in a bike Jumble being run in Exeter on a regular basis?

I work with one of the local bike recycling charities and it’s something we’ve pondered getting set up, I’ve been to the Bristol one on a number of occasions and love how enthusiastic everyone is and the general re-use of old kit that it promotes.

We have space to do it, with some parking, can probably provide tables as well so all that would be required is enough interest…

I’ll be poking around on some other groups and forums too to see but wondering what the STW collective wisdom says?

nacho
    Free Member

Not sure how one works (I guess as per the title!)
    I would go when I got the chance if there was one running and would also mention it to others I ride with.

amedias
    Free Member

They’re pretty simple really, a bunch of people, some with bike related gumpf to sell, some with bike gumpf related holes in their lives turn up in the same place, at the same time…

Then they display their wares for all to see and much fondling and haggling later some people leave with bike related gumpf they didn’t previously own for bargaintastic prices, other people leave with more money and more room in their sheds.

Everyone has a good time and that shifter from 1999 that was missing a barrel adjuster lives to shift another day!

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Perfect excuse for not getting dragged around the shops by the other half when she tells me we ‘must’ go to Exeter shopping.

nacho
    Free Member

Yep, soiunds good and it would give me somewhere else to frequent in Exeter apart from the Bikeshed 8)

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Yep. I’d be up for that. There was one in Newton Abbot a few weeks ago but missed it as I was away. Have got quite a bit of stuff I need to pass on.

amedias
    Free Member

looking like might be a goer then if there’s a few people from this relatively small sample…

Do you think Saturday or Sunday would be best?
    Obviously would pick a different weekend in the month so as not to clash with Bristol.

Location would be on Marsh Barton where the charity HQ/Workshop is so would have some parking and is easy to get to but unfortunately not in town.

Gunz
    Free Member

Count me in, I need to create some space in the garage.

ajantom

Defo, count me in.

toys19
    Free Member

I’m in, but I’m also interested in the charidee? As in i have piles of old bike stuff that I would rather you sorted through and found a home for than I weighed it in at the scrappy..

amedias
    Free Member

toys – email in my profile if you want to chat, we will gladly take anything working (or broken!) and I’m only round the corner from you from memory…

neilforrow

+1 – got a bunch of tyres to shift and some other stuff.

amedias – any more info on the group you work for?

yunki
    Free Member

Oh dear.. I am currently on the upswing of the bike part hoarding pendulum.. Count me in, although Mrs yunki won’t thank you for it

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I’ve got some old bits I could do with selling….

eviljoe
    Free Member

Yup, I would be up for this. Need to shift old stuff to pay for the new stuff I have already bought…keep me posted on dates. Be good to put some faces to names too.

Amedias- is that Martyn? Or Adam?

Olly
    Free Member

i had a big ebay binge recently, but still have a box of “spares” that i would never let grace my own bikes, so could would certainly be up for having a go at getting rid. Only once though probably! (might browse if there were additional events)

walla24
    Free Member

count me in, always in need of parts 8)

amedias
    Free Member

hi Joe, neither 😉

For those that are interested the charity is Ride-On Cycling for all

we’re a recyle and re-use project with the aim of getting people cycling,a nd keeping usable bikes out of landfill, we’re relatively recently set up and haven’t got our Social Media or web presence properly sorted yet as most focus has been on getting the workshop up and running, sorting premises and bikes and getting a few sall prjects sorted but we are hoping to also start running courses (riding and mechanical) in the very near future especially working with children, young people and adults.

mods – hope this doesn’t feel like a plug, only posting links as people asked for info…

FaceBook page

Website

I’ll keep everyone posted with dates/location as there’s a few bits to sort out first but fingers crossed later this month or early October.

Matt

ontor
    Free Member

Hell yes

Also very interested in volunteering. used to do a lot of spannering at cranks

amedias
    Free Member

Well I do have some updates, but it hasn’t quite worked out as we planned…

It turns out that someone else (Beers Gears and Engineers Cycle Club) is also running a Bike Jumble in Exeter this October (1st one), not 100% sure if it will be a regular thing or not but as it’s the first one and we were also thinking of setting one up we decided not to step on anyones toes and try to join in as working together we might be able to help each other rather than compete.

Good news is they have an INDOOR venue!

Not so good news is that it will not be free to sell, the charge is £10 for a table if you want to sell, however money is going to the Cyclists fighting Cancer charity so it will be for a good cause.

Venue is:

Alphington Sports Club, Church Rd, Alphington, Exeter, EX2 8SW

Sunday 20th of October 2013, 09.00 hrs to 13.00 hrs

see link above for more info from them

We will be there too with bikes and bits from our bike recyling charity (Ride On – Cycling for all) so if you’re up for it come along and support us all!

amedias
    Free Member

reminder – it’s this weekend!

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

I’d like to do something like this where I live. Exeter a bit far, but I have a ton of stuff I need to get rid of!

amedias
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t already something similar around Leeds missP, have you tried asking around local cycling clubs or charities to see if there is? or even better drum up some support and start one!?

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Did this become regular event?

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I don’t see the 2 options as mutually exclusive. A double act defence.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Oops, didn’t mean to post that in this thread. Too many tabs going, I got confused 😳

eviljoe
    Free Member

It would be great if there was another Bring and Buy in Exeter- keep us posted amedias!

walla24
    Free Member

damn….got excited that there might be another jumble!

eviljoe
    Free Member

Maybe Ride -on will hold another jumble to celebrate moving to their secret new premises…

amedias
    Free Member

There will be another one I promise!

we’ve been a bit pre-occupied with moving to a new workshop/HQ but we are now have a much better location (on the Quay), that includes a courtyard which is perfect for a Jumble.

As soon as we’ve tarted up the place and moved all the bikes and tools and stuff from the temporary place I will start organising my socks off and we can get another one going, will keep you posted!

julioflo
    Free Member

Yep I would partake, attend, sell, buy etc.
    Great idea.

amedias
    Free Member

next bike Jumble is Sunday 4th May!

We will be running if from the new charity HQ on Exeter Quay, please see poster for details and feel free to contact me with any questions!

If all goes well this will become a regular feature, either monthly or bi-monthly so all you South West jumblers will have a regular opportunity to buy and sell your spares.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Huzzah!

Can’t get out the door for old bike bits. Great news 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

By the way, if anyone is planning on coming to sell could you please drop me a mail or txt just so I can get an idea on numbers!

thanks

amedias
    Free Member

It’s this weekend!

amedias
    Free Member

3 days to go everyone!

rob2
    Free Member

Do you have any details? Time, place etc. I couldn’t see it above but it’s been a long morning!

jam-bo

amedias
    Free Member

Thanks Jam bo, that was posted on the previous page rob 😉

amedias
    Free Member

countdown continues…. it’s the day after tomorrow!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Bike Jumble Exeter – anyone interested?’ is closed to new replies.