Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Bike jeans
  • ratherbeintobago

Now that utility cycling is officially a thing…

Anyone have any recs for bike jeans? The Osloh have some nice features (ankle strap on the right leg cuff, for example) but less sure about the pad.

nedrapier

Are you saying they’ve got a pad, but you don’t want one?

I’d agree. If you’re after jeans to ride in, it’s so you can wear them the rest of the day as well, and you don’t want tight pants with a nappy down there all that time.

With great utility cycling comes great utility trousers, a great utility bike, with great mudguards and a saddle that’s comfy in normal pants. I like the bottom of the range spesh toupe. Good amount of padding, nice shape, waterproof.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

This is not entirely serious? 😎

Have been ‘utility cycling’ since before I heard the phrase and the best thing I ever bought for such use was a Dutch unisex utility/cargo/town bike with step-thru frame, full mudguards and chainguard. With such a bike I really don’t have to think in terms of ‘bike clothing’ at all. Just wear whatever. A decent, wider-than-usual saddle with a wedge/cutout has been the only upgrade required for comfort. That, and a few extra teeth on the rear cog for winching up silly hills with two bags of groceries

Am normally already wearing clothing before I jump on the bike so no need to get changed unless it’s freezing out. Even then I find using pogies is easier, to save the faff of wet gloves. Just get on and ride. Riding that requires nappies is long-distance touring or jumping

ratherbeintobago

I’d agree. If you’re after jeans to ride in, it’s so you can wear them the rest of the day as well, and you don’t want tight pants with a nappy down there all that time.

Aye, I think there are some sensible features such as avoiding a thick midline seam, the strap for tightening the right leg cuff. Pad does give off the nappy effect.

This is not entirely serious? 😎

Of course it’s not, but I do most of my utility cycling™ on an ancient Raleigh Pioneer (with a Charge Spoon)…

kelron
    Free Member

I have issues with the durability and fit wearing regular jeans on the bike. They can be tight across the knees and the crotch area wears quickly.

Still probably better off with 4 pairs from next than one pair of boutique bike specific jeans though.

ratherbeintobago

Still probably better off with 4 pairs from next than one pair of boutique bike specific jeans though.

Also very true!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Have since discovered that my (hardly-used) fully featured utility bike actually cost me about the same to purchase as a regular pair of jeans wot those young people wear!

Being somewhat of a fat knacker I wear stretchy walking trousers in general and these also work out well on the bike.

Charge Spoon for upright utility cycling is the first thing I’d address. Something wider with a deep wedge/cutout and slightly more padding would be better.

The next thing would be the tucking of right trouser leg into sock or

ratherbeintobago

Said Raleigh Pioneer is worth less than a pair of jeans, or would be if it didn’t have a decent set of Hope Pro3 based wheels after the originals seized.

Charge Spoon for upright utility cycling is the first thing I’d address. Something wider with a deep wedge/cutout and slightly more padding would be better.

The next thing would be the tucking of right trouser leg into sock or

Actually the Spoon is pretty comfortable. And I’ve already reported to the single bicycle clip look…

kayla1
    Free Member

**** me, £100 quid for ‘cycling’ jeans? Get yourself to a charity shop and sew some velcro onto the right leg yourself.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Isn’t there a spanish company jeanstrack or something that makes mtb clothing

found it Jeans

bikebouy
    Free Member

Rapha, but they are a bit hot.

Yak

howsyourdad1 – exactly! Was watching on sunday and Johannes von Klebelsberg was smashing it in jeans with his phone in his pocket too!.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Get yourself to a charity shop and sew some velcro onto the right leg yourself.

🤣😂

Being fair to the OP, if the bike (or crotch seam) isn’t really kitted out as a ‘utility’ item then some concession or improvement needs to be made.

So either change the seat or ‘remove’ the seam. Doing the latter will limit you to riding in particular custom trews, which is sort of the opposite to ‘utility’, but horses for course and all that…

vincienup
    Free Member

When I first started cycling to work I went straight for regular jeans simply because that’s what I always wore on the bike as a kid. Boxers with a pronounced seam under them were probably a bad choice and one quickly changed, but otherwise the main problems were that they inevitably wear out in the seat/back of crotch area well before the rest of the pair of jeans is ready to scrap and when they get wet, cycling becomes a miserable cold experience. If you’re energetic they get stinky quite quickly too and are a pita for washing/drying compared to sportswear of any type.

The ‘wet’ problem was solved by a pair of Alpkit Epic’s (now defunct) which are just about to die (this is bad) and as it’s a fabric/coating solution that would reasonably add a chunk to basic jeans but the seat reinforcement or moving the seams is pretty trivial and not justifying more than a few quid on the price at most.

There are a number of improvements that can be made to cycling legwear over jeans, but they rapidly end up looking like running tights (a good, potentially cheap solution) or bib shorts/longs. While any of these improveme the cycling experience in a number of ways, they aren’t really solutions that work ‘at the other end’ when you want to park the bike and get on with whatever you went there for.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Weird people on bikes

British people on bikes
    British people on bikes

I think that us Brits just like bending over in weird clothing. That, and the endless potholes. Thin tyres for full effect. Whack. Masochism is an art best reserved for the reserved.

nealglover
    Free Member

Gap slim fit stretch jeans work great for me (always cheap at the outlet)
    Decent width saddle and I don’t have any seam issues at all. Cycle around 20 miles a day

Berghaus overtrousers if it rains.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I was about to recommend Jeanstrack. I use them a bit and they are really comfy. It’s nice to not have something that shouts BIKE when I have to drop my daughter off at school on the way to work. If you are interested and have been with us before give me a shout as I have a discount somewhere.

ratherbeintobago

@bikebouy I think they’ve stopped doing them

@tuskaloosa
    / @doug_basqueMTB.com – cheers – I’ll have a look.

trumpton
    Free Member

I always wear jeans when I cycle into town. Wear Aldi overtrousers if it’s raining and take them off after the cycle. I have skinny jeans that I wear too and these are quite stretchy. Offroad I wear some good quality thick denim jeans that I got from a charity shop for a few pounds. They are loose fit and I wear them for all of my biking weather permitting from parks to xc. No problems at all. I make sure I always tuck my jeans into the socks though. I think the underwear choice has a greater impact than the jean used.

newworldlobster
    Free Member

the stretchy climbing jeans from decathlon are aces. pick em up for £20 sometimes in previous seasons style. They size up big though due to the massive amounts of stretch. they are man-jeggings

BoardinBob
    ratherbeintobago

they are man-jeggings

That sounds like the stuff of eye bleach.

newworldlobster
    Free Member

if you’ve got it flaunt it darling

bikebouy
    Free Member

@bikebouy I think they’ve stopped doing them

Just had a look, still on their website.

They are a bit hot (I said that already) but do last a very long time (mine are 3yrs old and still look good) and might buy another pair now I know they still stock em’

Stevet1
    Free Member

Good enough for “the pirate”…

nedrapier

I was quite keen on those jeanstrack shorts til I saw the bright yellow arse logo. :-/

richard

Swrve jeans
    I find them good. A few styles depending on how large your thighs are.

doug_basqueMTB.com

@nedrapier, no big logo on mine! DiryoHeras or something I have .

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

If wedded to the Spoon/leaning-forward riding style then look for jeans with a gusset?

As richard says, swrve jeans do/did(?) so-called ‘cycling jeans’

2011 review here

Added benefit of denim is it traps and holds rain-water seemingly forever. I cycle-commuted to work in denim jeans for the best part of 5 years, and saw/kept a lot of rain in that time. Rather than be seen dead in lycra (or, for some obscure reason known only to no-one never thought to get changed at work)

Denim is also cold in the wet n windy, and sweaty in the sun. Though for short dry, autumnal rides to a pub – denim is perfect. No-one in a pub wants to smell wet, sweaty lycra. And if they do, you’re possibly in the wrong pub.

These Karrimor stretchy outdoor trews seem to fare better in wind, and dry more quickly after rain. Still prefer long swim-shorts and gusseted long-johns under. What would be really good would be dungarees with elasticated ankle and a gusset. Made from some wonder-fabric that is wind- resistant, water-resistant and hard-wearing

zezaskar
    Free Member

The moment I saw the thread title I thought it had something to do with a certain guy at Leogang this weekend…

benpinnick

Yeah thats what I thought. You need the same ones as these. Seems to work for Johannes von Klebelsberg….

null

DezB
    Free Member

Feel like I’ve seen that photo before somewhere.

kiwijohn

Levis Commuter jeans are very good, I’ve got 3 pairs now.
    A little bit of stretch for comfort without looking out of the ordinary. Plus reflective tape on the inside of the cuff.
    For winter riding I use Uniqlo jean looking things. Warm but breathable, though don’t get them wet.

kcr
    Free Member

Any jeans. Tuck the leg into your sock or use clips. Overtrousers if it rains.
    There’s a reason it’s called “utility cycling”.

plus-one

Good he’s got his phone in his pocket to call someone if he has an off !!

Yak

Haha that phone is awesome. He said it was so he could take a work call. Proper privateer stuff there.

scud
    Free Member

Second the Rapha ones, not usually a rapha kinda guy, but got a pair on ebay and have become my favourite pair of jeans full stop. Lots of reflective details as you roll leg up too and good fit for me.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Cannot see JeansTrack without seeing…..

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Bike jeans’ is closed to new replies.