Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Bike insurance who are people using?
  • oldfart

Had ours insured with Saga house and contents for years with no problem. 2 E Bikes and a Ti HT value about £11K always thought Saga they were on the cheap side at under £100 . Now different underwriters have taken another look 🙄 asked to see evidence of where they are stored , how they are secured etc which I’ve provided. That price of under £100 has apparently now gone up to £500 odd !!! They are investigating how they’ve arrived at that but in the meantime I want to start looking elsewhere because our renewal is only a week away .

MoreCashThanDash

Specified items with Esure for me, previously the same with Aviva

desperatebicycle

Just go on a comparison site. Once you find a decent contents insurer, you can check their bike cover.. mines with quotemehappy

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Tesco’s. But because my garage isn’t physically attached to the house I have to bring the bikes into the house if I go away overnight. Otherwise I’m only covered for a fraction of the amount.

oldfart

I’ve just got a quote from Tesco , only covered up to a maximum of £5K for all bikes 😞

Painey
    Free Member

I’ve got three bikes and I’m covered with Pedalcover. They are brilliant to deal with and much less than the figures quoted above. I only renewed in October too.

wooderson

Admiral for 4yrs. Reasonable to deal with, flexible when making updates/changes and tweaks aren’t expensive to make. Cover away from the home (my commuting e-bike when parked at work) if securely locked. Also happy with my Asgard as secure storage.

Never had to claim, but this side of the service had been very good.

Called them direct. Comparison site quotes were often more expensive.

oldfart

Pedalcover quote looks better , too many valuable bikes for Admiral 😞 , I think it’s time insurance companies got up to date with the cost of some bikes these days , I guess when they do for our part we will have to pay accordingly if we want to insure them .

tweeky
    Free Member

Halifax for me. Went for the ‘Ultimate’ option. Covers bikes away from home and accidental damage. On a previous thread about bike insurance, someone identified an issue with taking bikes abroad, but that’s not relevant to me. 2 mtb and one road bike, value iro £11k.

bfw

We used to have ours all on our house insurance as named/specified items, and then we had cover home and away on everything. It wasn’t cheap but over the years the cost went a bit mad.

Given up now and have house and bikes separately, bikes over a £1k with Laka. It’s not cheap. My sons new mtb needs to be added, but can’t quite bring myself to it

oldfart

I’ve got a really cheap ( in comparison 🙄) quote from quotemehappy with Aviva . Trouble is max per bike is £5K which is £500 short for the Orbea . Could be false economy if the worst happened .
    I know the cost of my Orbea is pretty steep but there are a lot more bikes including analogue bikes out there that cost a lot more how do people get cover for a £13K Trek ? Even if you could find a company willing to insure one the cost would be astronomical wouldn’t it?

bassmandan

Insured with Barclays, think max per bike is 5k but you tell them your most expensive bike and they’ll cover all of them up to that value. Was about £120 for the year I think.

ads678

Halifax here as well. Got road bike, 2 mtb’s and my grave.bike specified and another couple covered under the less than 500 bit. Total 10k for me, which is a little short if they all got nicked but you can increase that.

chaos

The good bikes are all covered with Laka who are bike specific and offer other stuff like bike personal liability insurance.  I’ve not had to claim so can’t comment on paying out but I like their concept and the service has been good so far.

Info – https://laka.co/gb/

DickBarton

Bikmo for me…a small discount via British Cycling…

FuzzyWuzzy

One issue with Pedalcover is that you need to be able to provide receipts in the event of a claim (getting a valuation from a bike shop isn’t sufficient). I’ve only got that for one of my 5 bikes that are covered (I only found out last minute and couldn’t be bothered finding another provider) so I’m hoping I don’t need to make a claim this year… (yes, I’ll be changing next year).

snotrag

Bikmo here too.

Again, as once you get to a certain value, it makes more sense to seperate your home contents cover from your bike cover.

My home cover is a bog standard, very ‘normal’ straight forward policy. Insuring my bikes is far more complex as they are a mix of ages, very valuable, mobile, changed regularly etc etc…

Never had to claim, but happy with what I’ve paid for. BC discount too.

One issue with Pedalcover is that you need to be able to provide receipts in the event of a claim

Bikmo have specifically not wanted that, instead they have a ‘my gear’ portal, which you put photos and specs in – given how often I change kit, and often buy it used, it makes more sense.

desperatebicycle

, only covered up to a maximum of £5K for all bikes

Pay the difference into a savings account. Then when you’re bikes aren’t stolen, you’ll have a nice bit of cash to spend rather than chucking it all to the insurance scumbags. 😀

monkeyboyjc

Bikmo – easy to insure for high value bikes, and if your a constant upgrader or changed of parts it’s easy to change the values and specs on the website.

oldfart

Several fans of Bikmo on here , quote from them for 3 bikes cheapest level of cover is just over £500 which is around other quotes that include house and contest insurance as well 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

bfw

Bikmo is £20 a month cheaper than my Laka costs. I might move it. Makes me sick how much I pay on insurance, critical illness cover, dog insurance, house, etc = £9k pa

bikesandboots

Bikmo wasn’t the cheapest (nor the most expensive), but comparing the detail of the cover, it provides the cover I want for some specific circumstances which are the ones where I most feel the need to have insurance.

petefromearth

We’re with MandS and have bike cover as an extra on our home insurance

Renewal this year was about £650 for the whole lot. The bike cover part is about £275 of that.

The only thing you have to specify is the value of your most expensive bike, which for us is £6k. All bikes are covered up to that value in the house/shed, out of the house, either locked or in our possession, and in the car.

I didn’t have have to tell them any details of the bikes, how they are stored or even how many bikes we have. They weren’t even fussy about security details, locks etc.

Definitely seems too good to be true! I asked lots of questions about many different scenarios, trying to find where the exclusions were, as I just couldn’t quite believe it was that simple. The guy on the phone assured everything was covered.

As a precaution I’ve got photos, frame numbers, receipts etc squirrelled away.

Hope I never have to use it!

oldfart

Settled with Halifax in the end pete, like you it bothers me the lack of detail required. As you say worth keeping details photos etc . I had thought for years that Saga was ridiculously cheap until this year . I’ve also got a theory that the 3 year fixed price they offered they were trying to make up the difference in one fell swoop 🙄Price went from £285 I guess based on 3 years ago to £624 in one go ! 😳When I complained they did offer me £20 off 🙄🙄🙄🙄

ginkster

Barclays as mentioned above. State the value of most expensive bike (up to £5k) and all others are covered. Cost £55 for me. No silly requirements or limitations and can be bought as a standalone policy. I then get buildings and contents insurance for elsewhere. Saved me a couple of hundred £s over previous Pedalcover renewal.

jedi

Mine are covered by adding them to my nfu insurance firebird and ebike for 40 quid extra

citizenlee
    Free Member

I’m currently with Halifax for contents insurance with 2 bikes as named items, but just read in another thread that they require receipts in the event of a claim.

I could source a receipt for the gravel bike but there’s no chance for the full suss as I bought the majority of it 2nd hand and built it myself. Even the parts I bought new would be a struggle.

So, any recommendations for an insurer that won’t ask for receipts?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.