Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bike Insurance – but not on household contents insurance
  • boltonjon

Probably done to death – but its always good to reach out to the STW massive for advice 🙂

Looking for advice or experience with any of the following bike specific insurance providers.

Cycleguard
    E&L
    ETA Insurance
    Cyclosure

What is their customer support like? How effective are they in paying up if the worse happens? How do you rate them for value? Does their description of the policy reflect what is actually covered?

I’m a tenant and the owner’s insurance doesn’t cover to the level i need

Much appreciated

TheFlyingOx

Bike specific insurance is a rip-off IMHO. They quoted me nearly £700/year on a £3k bike.

You do know you can (and should) get contents-only insurance as a tenant. You shouldn’t rely on your landlord’s insurance. I’m a landlord myself, and there’s no chance I’m making a claim on my insurance for my tenant’s property if the flat gets done over.

Try Green Insurance. For the same bike, plus two others of similar value, and all our home contents was about £28 a month.

boltonjon

The Flying Ox – Member
    Bike specific insurance is a rip-off IMHO. They quoted me nearly £700/year on a £3k bike.

Yep – my thoughts entirely

Looking at some other avenues – but £600+ is just plain daft

br
    Free Member

I take it you rent a room, rather than the house?

If so look at ‘All risks’ policies, as presumably you’ve other things you’d like insured – laptops, clothes etc. And just because the owner has contents insurance it doesn’t mean he has to claim on it for anything of yours…

DezB
    Free Member

As above, found their prices well over the top – might as well ‘insure’ yourself by saving the premium money in an account ‘just in case’ something happens!
    I got contents insurance as a tenant 2 bikes included, no problem.

allyharp

Agree with most of the above. Depending on your circumstances though you could find contents insurance expensive too.

Adding bikes away from home cover really seems make a big dent in the number of insurers who are prepared to cover you, but you should see what happens when you admit to living in a shared household of more than 2 unrelated occupants!

I recently found options very limited in the crossover between bike cover AND shared households.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i had mine insured with Evans Cycle insurance, works out about 10% of the value of the insured, had to make a claim and they paid up no problem at all….

boltonjon

Thanks guys – all really helpful feedback

Just trying to add to my landlords insurance – but Santender don’t make it to easy!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bike Insurance – but not on household contents insurance’ is closed to new replies.