Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bike insurance
  • lungman

Hi all, its that time again. Got my renewal through for the home,contents and bike insurance with m&S and it a lot to insure 3 mountain bikes average value £4000 and 1 road £1000.So my question does anyone have a more cost effective way to insure bikes? looking at seperate policy for the bikes is even more!

Ta for any help offered

AlexSimon

Just got my M&S renewal too and was about to do the usual online quote to get them to reduce it and I noticed that they require specific details about each bike. That’s a change from the previous 10 years I’ve been with them.

So, yes, interested in other options too.

brakes
    Free Member

don’t insure all of them?
    take a gamble (probability determined risk analysis) and insure the ones that are:
    – highest value (monetary and sentimental)
    – most vulnerable
    – most used
    – most likely to be stolen

organdonor
    Free Member

brakes – factor Sod’s law into that…

njee20
    Free Member

My M&S renewal came through last week and was cheaper than last year as a new customer! Suits me!

AlexSimon

Just FYI. My renewal was £520 and when I went online and entered my bike details (all else the same afaict), the quote was £740!!! which was supposedly including a 20% discount.

I’ll probably let the renewal go through and keep quiet 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I’d still shop around at that price (unless you live in Bootle or something)!

brakes
    Free Member

brakes – factor Sod’s law into that…

I wouldn’t buy a bike if I incorporated that.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I’m interested in this thread too. I currently insure through Tesco which costs around £350. M&S have quoted nearly £750 with all 4 of my bike named and insured. I know if they get stolen currently I will not be able to claim which would be devastating but £400 extra a year insurance is a hard pill to swallow.
    I may invest in extra shed security first.

njee20
    Free Member

More Than quoted me £350 with 3 bikes at a total of £11k named.

AlexSimon

That quote was for buildings, contents, bikes (the old M&S policy was that anything under 4k didn’t need to be named including bikes) and accidental cover btw.
    Last time I looked – getting cheapest buildings/contents and insuring bikes separately was much more.

br
    Free Member

Does that mean that M&S are now taking away the £4k deal from existing customers?

FWIW We renewed in June with no probs.

AlexSimon

b r – There’s nothing in the renewal to say that anything is different at all in my M&S policy.
    There are definitely other things that are specified, which were different when I went online to get a quote.

In short, no, I don’t think they are.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

No, they’re not. Keep the policy rolling and it’ll remain.

Stop it, and you become a new customer again.

Hang onto it for dear life…as you’ll not get anything anywhere as good – my last claim ended up being a 5k payout for a single bike!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Bike insurance’ is closed to new replies.