• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by 5lab.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bike in a berlingo. Pics please.
  • Premier Icon zippykona

We are heading away in September. 3 people , luggage ,2 reclining garden chairs that are fairly bulky and hopefully my fat bike. Thinking of hiring a berlingo.
    Can you show me a bike in the boot with the rear seats up? There’s no way that Mrs zip will have her mum and my bike sharing any of the seats.

Thanks.
    Ps can take wheels out and remove ,forks and pedals

Premier Icon grum

You can remove seats easily in any vaguely recent model I think, so you can keep one rear seat and have the rest for luggage etc. I would say that should be quite easily doable but I don’t have pics, soz.

Premier Icon 5lab
    Free Member

if renting you might not get the car you ask for (unless its a small outfit that can tell you exactly the car) – just the class. I’d suggest that a “M” berlingo might be tight but an XL will be fairly easy.

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

Even as one of the Berlingos biggest fans on here…. That’s going to be a fight in only the boot space. – it’s not a massive boot it’s just massively versatile

If you can drop a single seat suddenly it becomes easy to do. You don’t even have to remove it it’ll fold up behind the front seat and it’ll leave room for the length of a bike with one wheel out.

Premier Icon qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve a roof box you can borrow, your mother in law should fit inside just fine.

Premier Icon towzer
    Free Member

In our (latest) berlingo rear split 2 1 , so fold down the 1, I can get a levo m in easily with front wheel out down the side , stick it in a tarp etc and the rest of the car is clean, that leaves the middle seat and floor and you’re only loosing a narrow bit of the boot. Ps would the mum go on a roof rack, technically that meets the requirements………

Premier Icon Clink

Which model of Berlingo? Big difference between current model in XL and standard length previous generation. I’ve got 2 bikes in mine now, wides gravel bike with both wheels on and my Sonder Frontier with front wheel off (it will go in with both on, but not as neat). This is with left split-fold seat down in middle row (third row live in loft!).

Premier Icon DickBarton

If only 3 bodies in there then no issues at all as with wheel(s) off it’ll house the bike and garden chairs easily side-by-side. Rest of boot space for your wheels and luggage.

That can be done with just one seat folded away, but for extra space to carry everything, folder the 2 seats down and leave 1 upright for wife (get some brownie points by insisting your outlaw sits in the front so her comfort isn’t reduced – it will also ensure that you will definitely get more biking done as your wife won’t be speaking to you anyway!!!).

Premier Icon northshoreniall

Sit mother in front then she wont have to share with bike?

Premier Icon stwhannah

As others have said, if you fold one seat up it’s no problem with a wheel off the bike. If you take a single seat out completely (easy to do, it just hooks out, no bolts etc) then it gives you a bit more space again. If you’re hiring and they give you something different but similar it might not have quite the same seat configuration options.

Premier Icon mjsmke
    Free Member

Not got photos of mine but can get 3 bikes in with front wheels off with one rear seat still up. There is plenty of hieght so can always put boxes of stuff or chairs under the rear wheels. I didnt even need to lower the seat posts for mine but I’m short.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen

Thinking of hiring a berlingo

Its very rarely the case that you get to book a specified make and model when booking a hire car – you’ll get something the hire company thinks is roughly in the same class as a berlingo. Even then you may get bumped to another category of car anyway on the day if there are availability issues

To many hire cos ‘something like a berlingo’ is a very broad definition that could be anything from smaller 7 seat people carriers like Zafiras, through the van-derived-cars like the Berlngo to small faux by fours. I’ve never actually seen ‘a berlingo’ or any of its equivalents on the fleet on any of the companies I use (as cars rather than vans) even though they often use one as an illustration for that class of car. I used to always get given a Zafira if I booked that kind of car, now I always get a 3008 or a Crossland and boot space and flexibility is in no way comparable.

Premier Icon zippykona

It’s going to be one of these ” or similar”
    https://www.kendallcars.com/vehicles/7-seater/
    They are nice people so will actually see what we are getting

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

If you’re hiring and they give you something different but similar it might not have quite the same seat configuration options.

Our staff regularly request a specific thing, Berlingo included, from Europcar.

We regularly (say about a quarter of the time) get given something different. ‘But madam, this *is* a people carrier’ as the give the keys to a Citroen Nemo. Or ‘ We ran out of estate cars, so here is a Transit LWB instead’. And the finest ‘I know a little Adam is perfect for your week around London for work, but we thought you would like a Merc E-Class estate instead’….

Premier Icon stanfree
    Free Member

That should be easy as I get 3 29ers and 3 people in mine. Keep the single seat up and fold over the double seat . Take the front wheel off and stick closest to the doors as their will be space between the bars and the window. 2 seats and luggage should fit in the space.
    Brilliantly versatile cars , my wife hates mine but I hate her T Roc .

Premier Icon 5lab
    Free Member

an alternate might be to rent a regular car and buy a seasucker mount for it?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.