• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by cxi.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bike / house insurance – who do you use?
  • sok

I’ve been insured with M&S for the last few years which has covered every bike up to a £4k limit.

My insurance is up for renewal and in the new schedule I now have a exemption which says I can only claim up to £1k for any bike. I can only assume this is related to s bike claim I made 18 months ago following a garage break-in.

What are the other non-M&S options? I’m downsizing my collection but still have a Soda ~£3k, a Boardman commuter ~£1k, a road bike and a second commuter at ~£500 each so want to avoid getting them all insured seperately.

Thanks

joolsburger
    Free Member

http://www.cycleguard.co.uk/ actually scrub that, ridiculously expensive.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I live in a fairly rough area and house insurers always seem to quote a **** fortune.

Our Daisy does the job though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neninja
    Free Member

NFU Mutual

Not the cheapest but usually come out top on surveys about insurance companies being easy to deal with in the event of a claim.

For higher value bikes they have to get it approved when you take out the policy. I’ve got a bike covered for £4k – no special requirements for theft cover at home, must be locked to an immovable object away from home and it’s covered for accidental damage as long as it’s not being used for racing.

Our policy with them was the same price as the renewal quote from Nationwide.

RDL-82
    Free Member

AXA.

Charged £13 extra to insure the ss for theft anywhere ie on the commute. And the other bike which doesn’t leave my side if I can help it and definitely doesn’t get commuted on comes under the £2000 un-named item, however they will accept a shop valuation if I wanted it specifically listed or if it was over the £2k.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Hiscox

cxi
    Free Member

Our M&S renewal came through this week – not noticed anything about a £1k bike claim limit but will have to check the small print in detail.

Looked at Axa last night but their site says:

Bicycle cover can easily be added to your home contents insurance to protect against loss or damage away from home. It provides up to £1,000 cover for each bicycle and £2,500 in total.

Have to give them a ring I think.

sok

Thanks all, will give these a try.

photo by Sokster_, on Flickr
    Doesn’t have the same effect as Daisy

Agree with Joolsburger about Cycleguard. I’ve had it before, it cost nearly £200 / year for a £1.5k bike

CXI – I don’t think M&S have changed their policy in general, they’ve just added a special bit for me. They phoned me a couple of weeks ago ahead of doing the renewal and asked for the details and values of my bikes. It’s detailed under “Endorsments that apply to this policy” on pg 5 of 12 of my schedule.

GreenK
    Free Member

Give MoreThan a call. £5K total on bikes with £1500 limit per bike. However, they will cover additional bikes for a premium. I don’t know how hefty these extra premiums are though.

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

Direct Line did a superb job when mine was stolen a few months back, can’t recommend them enough.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Definitely one that can cause a bit of a headache.

Claim on my buildings and contents a few years ago mean M&S won’t insure me. Various others won’t quote or cover a bike that’s over £2-2.5k and when suggesting there’s £11k (RRP, not what I paid and over a few years of buying) worth of bike to insure it gets even more difficult.

Picking the bikes I want to insure on a specific policy makes me think it’ll always be a different one that goes walkies. And the price of these policies seem to be an awful lot. Small print seems pretty tight with a lot of ways they can get away without paying out too.

resisted
    Free Member

I’m insured through AXA/M&S. I had a bike stolen last year (Cannondale Capo of roughly £700 RRP) and although my premium has gone up slightly, they’re still offering the same level of cover (they were so helpful in my claim I would want to stay with them anyway). Perhaps it’s worth threatening to move providers and see if they change their tune?

cxi
    Free Member

sok – thanks for the pointer on the small print, will check properly tonight.

I got a bike only price last night from http://www.cyclecover.org.uk/ and nearly fell of my chair – was well over £400.

I’m confused what John Lewis (aka Greenbee) cover. Getting a quote for “Home Classic” says a total cover limit of £2500 for bikes with £1000 per bike limit but wading through the policy book reckons:

any pedal cycle is £2,500 unless specified

I hate wading through insurance small print.

sok

M&S were great when my bikes were stolen and the following renewal came through with no additional clauses and the premium stayed the same. For some reason they’ve waited until the following year to sting me.

Resisted – I’m hoping this tactic works but want to have someone to go to if not.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

cxi
    Free Member

In case anybody else pulls up this thread – I spoke to John Lewis.

Their standard insurance (Home Classic) does indeed only cover individual bikes to £1000 and all bikes to £2500.

The Signature insurance covers individual bikes to £2500 each, but is really designed for people looking to ensure Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle (with similar sized collections of jewels). I could have got a quote but the lady said policies start at £400, which is close to our M&S renewal, so didn’t bother.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bike / house insurance – who do you use?’ is closed to new replies.