Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Bike hooks – off or on the floor?
  • samuri
    Free Member

So I’m fitting some hooks to hang my bikes from on the wall.
    I fitted two which had my bikes hanging entirely off the hook, i.e. supported only by the hook.

Then I got to thinking, this seems to unneccesarily puts a load of stresses on the bikes, hooks and wall.

Should I be fitting them to allow the back wheel to touch the ground? What’s the common consensus?

29erKeith
    Free Member

mine hang, then any bike on any hook
    not that it would be an issue to have specific hooks for specific bikes

aP
    Free Member

Just wondering what stresses could hanging a bike up cause that riding anywhere doesn’t?

Duane…
    Free Member

Just wondering what stresses could hanging a bike up cause that riding anywhere doesn’t?

Mental stress. Bikes hate just being left hanging around, unsure of when they’ll next be ridden.

DT78
    Free Member

Mine touch the ground I don’t like the idea of them dangling there, some of the bikes can be there for months without use so if it isn’t any trouble why risk it?

fasthaggis

Hanging up.
    I like stuff off the floor and have never worried about them being off the ground.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I hang most of mine. The ones that are hung up by their front wheels touch the floor (OCD about stress in the forks). The bike in the middle gets hung by its rear wheel but doesn’t touch the floor. It’s a hardtail so I wasn’t concerned about extra stress etc.

scotroutes

One are hung up high enough to get storage boxes underneath. I’ve had them like that for several years with no issues. Compared with the punishment they get when being ridden, a few pounds of bike hanging of a rim isn’t worth considering.

Now, anyone seen a hook big enough for 4″ tyres on 80mm rims?

fasthaggis

Did there not used to be a theory that it was better to hang up by the back wheel if it had suspension forks on it?

I do ,but can’t remember why now 😳

samuri
    Free Member

I’m thinking suspension forks when it’ll be hanging there for months on end in the same position. Granted the bike stress is probably nothing compared to the hook.

soobalias
    Free Member

hooked through the front wheel, rear on the floor

you dont need different heights for different bikes, but you can fit more bikes in if the bars sit at different heights.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Hanging. The design of my hooks with just a bloody big screwthread isn’t particularly secure into brick, so I figure hanging places a perpendicular force on the hook which holds it in place, especially since both wheels are on the wall. I did use some decent filler to secure the hooks a bit better, but I didn’t want the permanence of a chemical bonding agent or liquid nails. A massive raw plug would be perfect.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just hanging here. Leaves some room for storage underneath

londonerinoz
    Free Member

fasthaggis, I thought the reverse, hang by the front wheel so that you lube your fork wipers and seals. More convenient than literally storing upside down.

DezB
    Free Member

A massive raw plug would be perfect

Frame fixers are what you want.

samuri
    Free Member

Just as an aside then. I’ve been using those frame fixers to not unsurprisingly, fix a window frame over the weekend, and half of them snapped in half. Caused me a right load of pain, I had to redrill and try again. Got it sorted now but I’ll be reluctant to trust them again.

DezB
    Free Member

How did you snap them in half??

I’ve had a bike lock/rack held on to the wall with them for the past 10 years. Take the weight of 4 bikes, no problem.

happyrider
    Free Member

I hang mine, just off the saddle in the garage though. But if I had to keep them in the house and they were posh I’d use one of these! http://www.m-techdesigns.com/Bike%20Wall%20brackets

DezB
    Free Member

Please note that these are not for sale at the moment and the price shown is not indicative of the price of these items.

Yeah £6: damn right it’s not!

samuri
    Free Member

No idea. Drill a hole in the wood and stone, tap the massive rawlplug through the wood and stone, screw in, snap. TThe first one snapped when I was using a drill to screw it in some the rest I screwed in all the way to almost with the drill and then finished them off by hand (phnarr), but three more snapped when I didn;t think I was applying much effort.

ummm (potential idiot admission….)
    Should the rawlplug be through the frame and the stone or just the stone?

jim25

Sounds like the hole wasn’t drilled deep enough for the legnth of the screw

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Bigger than that, the drill bit was bigger than 12mm and snug to the bike hook thread. Probably cheaper to buy better hooks!

TiRed

Hang both tandems from the front wheel without any issue, hooks set in the joists. I also use the larger frame fixers to fix a piece of wood and screw hooks into that where joists aren’t available. Hang four bikes from three frame fixers.

DezB
    Free Member

Should the rawlplug be through the frame and the stone or just the stone?

Think you can do it either way (eg. http://www.bryson.co.uk/product/show/01351 ).
    But yours sounds like the hole wasn’t long enough or big enough (fnaar).

eshershore
    Free Member

I use these, sold under “KF” amongst other brand names:

seem to work well, have been using them for 10 years. Come with large rawl-plugs and screw-bolts. Currently have 4 bikes on them, 2 road bike, MTB and hybrid

only time I had an issue was hanging up a Banshee Scream freeride bike that weighed nearly 50lbs. Middle of the night, heard a massive crash, plugs/bolts had ripped out of brick wall, bike lying on floor, no damage thankfully.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Bike hooks – off or on the floor?’ is closed to new replies.