Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bike-holiday shopping
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Ordered eight pairs of brake pads and a fresh pair of goggles today in preparation for a fortnight in the Alps at the end of the month.

Taking my fork and shock for service later.

What have you lot been stocking up on?

zerocool

Rear mech hanger, spare gear cable (for repairs on side of trail) as you don’t want to have to ride all the way back to van/chalet without gears. Not sure you’ll need that many pads, I tend to get through 2 pairs max per month in the Alps. But then it’s never a bad thing to be over stocked.
    That’s about it really, I tend to chuck a spare pair of tyres in the van when I drive out each year and then some tools for evening fettling.

Personally I think people get carried away “Alps proofing” their bikes. All I do is make sure it’s all serviced and working and switch to 2 ply tyres. If you’re riding lots of rocky trails maybe some protection under down tube and BB (old tube or cut off from tyre.

Tom KP

wl
    Free Member

Gore Tex – I’m hitting the Lakes later this year.

LoCo
    Free Member

Another bike as a spare 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Not sure you’ll need that many pads,

Seven pairs last time, though my old Formula brakes did just melt some of them in less than a day in Verbier and Pila.

It was nail-biting waiting for the Superstar parcel to arrive in France.

Another bike as a spare

Yep.

Milkie
    Free Member

7 Pairs! 😯

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s quite steep in Verbier.

😳

drew

There’s the reason I’ve switched from Formula the ones to Hope V2s. From what seemed like one set of pads a day to one set for the two weeks and they were the used ones that came with my second hand V2s.

Tracey

Just load up whats in the back of the garage for four of us
    Last year was
    Tyres
    Tubes
    Wheels
    Disc pads
    Disc brakes
    Rotors
    Dropper post
    Forks
    Big bag of sweets and choc bars
    Only three going this year so might stick on a spare bike

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You must be b*tch braking everywhere to go through that many sets of pads 😉

Last year I put a fresh set in before the Mega, rode them all week, and then did a weeks DH in Morzine on a trailbike, they were still fine when I got back.*

*Obviously i’m a riding god.

ianv
    Free Member

I need some decent 24″ tyres for my sons bike but cant find any 🙁 Anyone know where I can get single ply, 24″ highrollers or similar?

Brakes are a minefield for me; each bike has different ones so I will probably just suck it up and buy at the resort if needed (might bring some hayes for jr’s bike though as they are less easy to get hold of). 8 pairs though is mental, I went through 3 sets in 4 months last year.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

A one to one course with Jedi
    Some new cycling kecks
    a new backpack thingy
    Euro’s

Tracey

We ran schwalbe 24″ tyres on our girls bikes [Stinky JRs] in the Alps till they got onto 26″ wheels

ianv
    Free Member

We ran schwalbe 24″ tyres on our girls bikes [Stinky JRs] in the Alps till they got onto 26″ wheels

The fat alberts? If so were they any good? they are certainly not cheap.

Tracey

They were very good. Just need to make sure you have the room to fit them. We bought ours abroad so wasnt that bad compared to UK prices. What Hayes pads are you looking for

ianv
    Free Member

What Hayes pads are you looking for

Stoker aces, fine to get hold of here but well nigh impossible in the resorts.

Tracey

Cant help you with the Aces

ononeorange

One pair of brake pads

chives
    Free Member

Euros, baked beans and brown sauce. Oh, and service the bike before setting off (not doing the Alps mind, only the Cevenne).

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bike-holiday shopping’ is closed to new replies.