Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • bike hanging
  • yetidave
    Free Member

thinking of putting my bikes on a rack in the garage. Currently they hang by their saddles off a beam, but this is in the middle of the garage… Thinking of making a rack, made up of a couple of overhung (maybe 30deg off vertical) old rafters, with a number of bikes hung by their top tubes overlapping each other. I cant find any photos of this on google, and my sketching skills a bit rubbish. Anyone done anything similar?

oldejeans
    Free Member

……and I thought this was about a new Halifax-made that you’d bought etc

siwhite
    Free Member

I have the pulley hoist things which allow walking space under the bikes, which work very well with a high ceiling.

yetidave
    Free Member

the garage isn#t high enough. Its a sectional concrete garage with a lovely asbestos clad roof. The bottom of the roof frame is about 7ft. Which is nice to hang the bike by the saddle, but its a bit in the way. So thinking some form of wall hanger, but its not high enough for bike over bike style. So thinking of ways to overlap, but still get one out from the crowd.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I just attached some of these to a wooden square edged post and screwed the whole thing into the wall. It holds four bikes.

dovebiker

Hang the bikes vertically, on-end by their wheels – attach a piece of 2″x4″ timber across the roof beams – it needs to be just-over hub-height away from the walls. Simply screw-in some 99p plastic coated hooks from DIY store. Pitch the hooks about bar + tyre width apart and hang the bikes nose-to-tail

yetidave
    Free Member

no issues with bleeding brakes or oils in forks when hanging for long periods the wrong way up?

scotroutes

None.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I built this a few weeks ago, it came out at about 2100 high and seems to work well. In hindsight, I probably could have shaved a few more mm off above the bottom bike.

yetidave
    Free Member

I was thinking that if you inclined that away from the wall at the top, and hung the bikes by the frame, you could get three into basically the same space as they could overlap vertically. The space behind could be where the spare wheels live.

wildc4rd
    Free Member

Yes, could well do. I was limited for distance off the wall though (still need to lift them off), and my other bikes are grubby MTB’s so live in the garage anyway!

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

doing my garage atm – this is my solution – top of the planks is about 8ft

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

^^ that looks good, how are the bikes held to the wall?

km79
    Free Member

^^ erm… they’re lying on the floor surely?

dufusdip
    Free Member

^^^What are the clips the pedal attaches to? Does it work for clips or flats only?

Looks great BTW

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

how are the bikes held to the wall

they are flat pedals that hook onto a Y shaped rubber coated hook thing – you can buy proper kits that do the same but cost about 40£km79 – Member

^^ erm… they’re lying on the floor surely?

the floor is easier to keep clean on thewall as the dirt just falls off in a line at the bottom 😉

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

just googled for proper kit and saw these

http://www.aplaceforeverything.co.uk/home-storage/bike-store-pedalo?cr=fgl&gclid=CLfA48LD6tECFYKw7QoddMEPIg

might replace what I have with these

ajantom

Not the most beautiul solution, but it fits 8 bikes side by side on a 2400mm length of wood with rubber coated hooks screwed into the wood. All in cost me about £10. Some of the bars on less used bikes are turned, and I’ve staggered drop and straight bars to aid the fit.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

If you have an IKEA nearby these read-made brackets are cheap and cheerful, I keep several handy for jobs like this. I like some of the solutions above though, I can feel a small project coming on!

[url=https://postimage.org/]image upload with preview[/url]

Tracey

We can get seven along the back wall, wheels tilted at 45 deg

Its a lot tidier now than the photo with an interlocked rubber floor and security grill

Hang them on hooks from Decathlon which will take big tyres and deep carbon rims

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Bookmarking this for future, some great ideas here.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘bike hanging’ is closed to new replies.