Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bike full Service ? What to expect…..
  • discoduck
    Free Member

I’m just wondering what if anything my not so LBS has done to my trusty steed ?

What should I expect from a FULL service at £100
    To put things into perspective, the bikes come out of winter hibernation about the same time as me, it felt a bit tired and the gears were skipping and the wheels weren’t true,

So I booked it in left it and picked it up !
    The gears were fine, which was probably a result of twisting the barell 3 times on the shifter,
    The wheels seemed to wave just as they did before it went in ?
    The 20mm Thro axle was as dry as a bone as was the rear QR Skewer ?
    As the wheels were comming off to get it in the car I took the seat out and it was as dry as a bone ? Surely they would have had the thought to grease these bits up ?

I asked them to replace the BB bearings as they felt a bit graunchy but no they are fine apparently ? Not that they went in there as when I took out the seat pin and turned it over low and behold water came out !

I’m passing later in the week and intend to go in and confront the shop but realise letting loose on a sales assistant and NOT the owner is a pretty shit thing to do !
    That said it wasn’t the owner who serviced my bike,

I specifically asked for things to be done and they weren’t but it looks like I paid for it any way ?

BB bearings
    Jagwire brake cables
    All bearings stripped re greased and re fitted, stuff I couldn’t be arsed to do because I don’t have the correct tools !
    And the lite time I do get off from work I have to share between family life and riding.

Oh and last but not least what ever happened to proper LBS !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and last but not least what ever happened to proper LBS !

There are loads out there 🙂

I’d probably have asked that before taking it in.

Sancho
    Free Member

that’s bad, Id tell them to do it again, does their shop have like a menu that they state they should do and do you get a service card telling you what has been done?

We (a proper LBS) basically strip and re-build the bike for a full service ans re-cable it as part of the package.

Should come back like new.
    Also the mechanic that did the work is not the same person that tests the work.

mogrim

We (a proper LBS) basically strip and re-build the bike for a full service ans re-cable it as part of the package.

You’re in Madrid, right? Which LBS?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Judging by what happens when people in our group let a shop near their bike:

– the saddle will fall off
    – the cranks will fall off
    – the cable routing will be so bad that the gears don’t work

Sancho
    Free Member

I am in Madrid yes, but my shop is in Leeds, Im here temporarily 🙂

Sancho
    Free Member

lucky for me our shop mechanic is also the Hope road team mechanic so no the saddle wont fall off, the cranks wont fall off and the cable routing will be meticulosuly done so that it works perfectly.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

Fred Williams in Wolves stripped my trek ex8 back to the frame, greased and oiled everything that needed it including pivot bolts before reassembling it all for £85.
    Needed new gear cables fitting iirc total bill of £112.

discoduck
    Free Member

Sancho

I’m in S yorks, whereabouts in Leeds is your LBS ?

Sancho
    Free Member

it’s in Adel so North West Leeds.

mogrim

I am in Madrid yes, but my shop is in Leeds, Im here temporarily

Ah!

Duggan

I’m not terribly (or at all) qualified to comment on anything maintenance related really- I’ve very poor knowledge of the maintenance side of things and also live in a flat without a garage or any outdoor space so haven’t learned.

So after not having it serviced for ages and taking part in a muddy Sleepless in the Saddle last year I asked for my LBS to give my bike a full service- this was £90 (excluding all the parts that were needed etc) and it rides like brand new now which frankly is a joy after months of odd creaks, groans and squeaks.

So for £100 I would be expecting it to basically be like new. It cost total £250 with all the parts that were needed if that makes any difference. They did it in 3 days as well.

rocketman
    Free Member

You will drop it off in the morning and leave it leaning against the counter. During the day one of the mechanics will look at it and – if you’re lucky – wipe the top tube with a lightly-oiled rag. They will then move it to a slightly different position against the counter, ready for you to collect it.

weeksy

rocketman – Member

You will drop it off in the morning and leave it leaning against the counter. During the day one of the mechanics will look at it and – if you’re lucky – wipe the top tube with a lightly-oiled rag. They will then move it to a slightly different position against the counter, ready for you to collect it

Based upon my neighbours recent experience with his Bionicon and AW Cycles you’re not far wrong but add in the following

“not tighten caliper bolts”
    “loosen some spokes”
    “loosen the shifter bolts”
    “not index the gears”

nealglover
    Free Member

Crosstrax in Leeds …..

2. Full / Comprehensive Service – £95.00

Free booking-in evaluation by our expert technicians detailing any immediate work required. Work carried out on the cycle as Standard Service above plus the following extras:

Every single component stripped from frame, cleaned and de-greased. Frame checked inside and out for wear or damage.

All controlled contact surfaces and threads including bottom bracket, head tube, disc brakes mounts cleaned, tapped and faced where appropriate.

Hubs and headset stripped, cleaned and serviced.

Cycle fully rebuilt with fresh grease.

Service excludes suspension systems (rear shocks and forks).

Cycle test ridden to ensure quality of service. Evaluation provided detailing any specific maintenance work carried out during the service and any work that may be required in the future.

Sounds like you have had a shite service for £100 🙁

juan
    Free Member

Well 100£ is about 130€.
    So that is about 2 hours of work and 60€ worth of goods.
    for example setting a new Jagwire coloured cables and a nex chain: about 60€.
    For the remainder you could expect a truing if the wheels aren’t **** up, and having the main bit re-greased.

steviecapt
    Free Member

a full service, should basically be like riding a new bike, plus any new parts needed, another reason why you would be better off buying your own tools and doing the work yourself, at least then you would get the work done to your own satisfaction, i know you said you havnt got much spare time but the time its taken you to drop off bike, then pick it up and then go back and complain plus costing you £100, that doesnt look like a good use of your time to me lol, the trouble these days its hard to find a good bike shop with quality mechanics, so i find its just more efficient to do the work yourself.

victor123
    Free Member

Great if your bike has been in the shed for a while or if you want peace of mind prior to a big ride or sportive. It includes all of the following:

Frame and forks checked for damage
    Brakes adjusted
    Gears adjusted
    Bolts checked and tightened
    Headset, bottom bracket, wheel bearings checked for free movement
    Any further work recommended for the future

Rob_S
    Free Member

With regards to servicing, has anyone had any experience of the new Evans in Sheffield?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bike full Service ? What to expect…..’ is closed to new replies.