Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike for commuting, advice needed.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I have some singlespeed 29er wheels (disc only) and need a cheap commuter. Should I go for the Pompetamine, circa 200 quid for the frameset, or a cheap Viking fixie for similar money? I will ride it in a hilly-ish terrain, some 20 miles each way.
    Or do I just buy a 2nd-hand 29er frame?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

amplebrew

Make sure whatever you get has or takes mudguards…..

Makes a huge difference 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

£300 fixie will be pretty poor in terms of brakes working, durability of parts etc.

Pomp will of course cost way more, perhaps a bit more than a SH frame build.

jonba
    Free Member

Pompetamine is heavy but then any cheap bike will be. Nice bike to ride – find mine reassuringly tough for commuting. I’ve ridden mine one fast chaingangs and down flights of stairs.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I have half a bike shop’s worth of bits and bobs in the loft so it’s more of a “Is the Pompetamine frame really better than, say, an old Pug 531 or a Viking?” question, I suppose.
    I am also wondering if going for an Inbred wouldn’t be a wiser option, but it’s going to have drops fitted (in the loft with the brakes etc. already).

cynic-al
    Free Member

While my Pomp rode well, it was around 5lb IIRC, any 531 frame will be lighter and ride better IMO. Plenty 70s bikes were made from gas piping though, eg Peugeot Carbolite 103 (?)

vincienup
    Free Member

Should work ok depending what you’re planning tyres wise on those 29’er rims.

CX-ey 700x30somethings should be fine (might be getting a bit tight as they get bigger) but 29’er tyres are probably going to fail mightily.

prawny

20 miles each way? I’d say you’d want some gears for that, speaking from experience. For a cheap commuter one of the bottom of the range carerra road bikes or one from decathlon that takes guards would be my recomendation

Hairychested
    Free Member

@prawny
    I’m sure you’re right, I actually know you’re right, but… I am unfit and like riding SS/fixed. Oh, I rode a fixie to work a while ago, my legs were still spinning several hours later. It was hilarious, truth be told.

prawny

In that case, go for the pomp. I’m sure the Viking would be fine, it’s a Fixie ffs why are they so expensive!! But the pomp will be worth more if you sold it on and would be a bit more versatile, you could always stick an Alfine wheel in the back of it if you start struggling.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Thanks! I’ll try to get something fancy (ok, red) but f I can’t then a Pompetamine will be fine I think.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike for commuting, advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.