Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike for a 9-10 yr old
  • lesgrandepotato

Bijouspud is outgrowing his Cannondale 24” bike. It’s been decent if a little on the weighty side.
    Now he’s going up to a 26er I have a decent haul of 26er parts.
    Stans Crests on hope pro 4’s, carbon bars and other bits. We also have a dead Scott spark 20 frame with a set of 120mm fox floats.
    So is my best call of action hunting down a small Spark? Then an slx 1x something setup?
    What’s the best route to a decent 26er for the boy? Or do we just buy new? Will anything fit together?

boxelder

I’ve gone frame and build. Unless you’re able to spend

Speeder

Cranks is the tricky thing – 140-150mm hard to come by. especially if you want to avoid square taper

bfw

I bought 2x used Orange Zest 26’s for my twin’s. Now 11 but were 9 when I bought the bikes.

These bikes are amazing, great angles, good kit installed.

bfw

Cranks is the tricky thing – 140-150mm hard to come by. especially if you want to avoid square taper

On my one sons race bike I ended up going for Rotor’s cheapest offering. I spent ages looking and gave up in the end and just threw money at it. This bike has to be legal for U12 racing, hence the single x11 groupset

Speeder

bfw
    I spent ages looking and gave up in the end and just threw money at it.

I’ve been the same – there’s some options out there but not a lot (search back on here). The nuclear option being Hope kids cranks (135/150mm) but at over £200 without ring or BB they’re for the committed only.

gingerflash

“The nuclear option being Hope kids cranks (135/150mm) but at over £200…”

I’d have thought it would be more sensible to have a (solid) longer crank cut down and rethreaded.

Crank Shortening

Daffy

You can get SRAM NX cranks in 155mm

steve_b77
    Free Member

Have a look on eBay at the Airwolf shop for the frame

stevextc
    Free Member

Totally depends what they ride and how big they are really.

Mine went from a 24″ wheel bike to a XS 27.5 frame with 26″ wheels on his 9th Birthday..
    Shoved some 142mm cranks on at that point and swapped wheels gradually according to what he was riding) and went through 3 sets of cranks in-between.
    Meanwhile he’s on 3rd set of forks (old Rev 32/Pikes/Lyrik, 3rd dropper (125/150/170mm) and countless wheels he’s smashed.

He’s now 13 and I should really look for an adult M frame to transfer the parts onto for him.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.