Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bike dithering, which 650B?
  • DavidB
    Free Member

I’m massively dithering about a new bike. One minute looking to build a cheap 29′ and the next looking at higher specced 650b. I think the 650b wheelsize may be best for me I’m not convinced I’ll get on with 29.

This Boardman MTB Pro 650b hardtaillooks great value for money and I can get 10% off the price. But they appear to be out of stock for ages.

Is there any other 650b bike that compares for at a price around £1400

chriswilk
    Free Member

had my first ride on a scott scale 760 last night.
    I was very impressed.
    The next one up the range, 750, is ~1300.
    Or if you want VFM on components look at the Cube range.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Not mine but might be worth a look.

Due to my old two bikes being stolen I have recieved two brand new bikes through insurance means, I have also come to the conclusion that I just do not need two mtb’s anymore therefore I have decided to sell the scott! It is absolutely brand new with no marks or miles on the tread!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121236449927?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Trekster

Awaiting a test ride on the new Rocky Mountain when my lbs gets it in. They are apparently selling fast and not many left!! The 29 version looks really nice…..
    Will also be testing the Scotts, Monrakers, Treks and maybe even a 5….
    rocky mountain

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Why 650b?

(Sorry – it has to be asked!)

ska-49
    Free Member

Something you might be interest in?
    Happy to offer with different parts.. (no dropper, different bars, etc.)

chestrockwell

Why 650b?

My guess would be the fact he doesn’t think he’ll get on with 29″ and most new bikes now being 650b? Just a guess mind.

DavidB
    Free Member

Why 650b?

Slightly bigger than 26 so better on roads/tracks, slightly smaller than 29 so not like my CX bike 😉

benpinnick

Compenentry is ok on that boardman (great for a carbon) but it looks a bit… dull to ride. Id consider a Whyte 901/905 or one of my very own Bird mtbs (www.facebook.com/birdmtb.co.uk blatant plug sorry) if you’re not in a hurry.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Slightly bigger than 26 so better on roads/tracks, slightly smaller than 29 so not like my CX bike

😆 Fair enough!

dh
    Free Member

trekster – think there is maybe a review of that RM in this month’s mbr magazine. colour scheme rings a bell.

jonathan
    Free Member

I’m planing to sell my Saracen Zen after Christmas. Less than a year old, maybe half a dozen rides (if that). Nice bike, I just don’t use it enough. It was a prize, very nice it is too, but it’s rarely the first choice bike…

A bit of fiddling, a bit of filing (!) and it’s out. I even think the seat post is long enough 🙂 by Jonathan Bateman, on Flickr

Let me know if you’d be interested

lee170
    Free Member

Whyte 901 looks like a great buy at a decent price.
    I had a whyte 19 and loved it.

brakes
    Free Member

have you test ridden any? including 650b?
    there is far more to a bike and the way it rides/ handles/ feels than it’s wheel size.
    having said that the colour of a bike would sway my decision more than the wheel size.

Sancho
    Free Member

I can highly recommend the kona explosif
    Im riding it all the time and can’t get enough of it

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Get a test ride. Not all 29ers/650b/26ers are the same.
    I was a bit anti 29er, till I spent a week with a swift.

DavidB
    Free Member

Get a test ride. Not all 29ers/650b/26ers are the same.
    I was a bit anti 29er, till I spent a week with a swift.

Yep, was planning that ..but I don’t buy buy bikes in the normal rational manner that others do. Hence why I have so many of them. But I’m never wrong and love each one as if they were Claire Grogan

firestarter
    Free Member

Davidb I think you’ll find a 650b with mtb tyres is pretty much exactly the same size as a cx due to the difference in profile on the tyres. Which is the reason I want one as 26 seems small after riding 29ers and cx but 29er is a bit too big.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bike dithering, which 650B?’ is closed to new replies.