Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Bike depreciation
  • stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I bought my Nomad as an ex demo from a shop. They replaced everything which was over 50% worn (aparently about 800 retail on all the bits). For £3k. It was just under £6k new.

It had done 14 demo days and bearing in mind a lot of demo days are on not that hard routes, I thought I was getting a good deal.

Compare that to buying one second hand, that if ridden properly will have had a hard life and with probobly well worn tyres and gearing.

Any more than 50% retail would be expensive if you ask me.

Just look at some bargains to be had here

https://www.tweedvalleybikehire.com/product/ex-demo-yeti-sb5c-enduro/

doubledunter
    Free Member

Sold my 2015 carbon Bronson few  months ago, all receipts from Tf  for susupension servicing, replaced all bearings , drivetrain couple of months old and not a bad build,I tend to keep on top of things so pretty well cared for, originally told it would sell for around £2000 ( 50% for what I paid) which I thought was optimistic tbh, I thought around £1700 would be a fair price, still no one would bite, it was the green one so probably halving the interest right away, ended up letting it go for £1450 just to get it out the way, really only worth what someone is willing to pay.

shooterman

The second hand market seems pretty skewed at both ends to me.

I agree with the point above that the availability of finance seems to be supporting the sales of high end bikes. When I was buying my last bike shops appeared almost surprised that you were buying outright rather than on finance.

At the other end I think there are some unrealistic expectations on second hand values. I was looking at a second hand Santa Cruz on the classifieds here a few months back and the price was only a few hundred pounds off what I could buy a new (old model in sales) one for.

I guess most people don’t have the ready cash and if they do they find price expectations unrealistic.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Its a hard one I am sure there is no firm rule for me I try and get the best deal I can and certainly would never pay RRP, recent purchase I got cashback £240 and 11% off clearance price from dealer.  I find that the groupset can be expensive and good forks so focused on this with last purchase, will I get a good return when I change one day only god knows – The only thing I can say for sure is I am going to try and get my moneys worth and use bike as much as possible.

bluerich

Sold a ‘97 Saracen Havoc for £30 cost me £699, both robbed me thinks. ’01 Stumpjumper enduro for £100 and a ‘16 Fuel Ex 8 for £900.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Bike depreciation’ is closed to new replies.