Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bike decision help appreciated …… 29er+ vs Fat
  • letmetalktomark

So the decision is between a Krampus and a fat bike – Probably a Singular Puffin.

My head says Krampus. I have a bikes worth of bits already but would need to run the tyres on Flow rims until I could splash out on some Rabbit Hole rims.

My heart says fat bike. I could use most of the bits I have but would need new wheels and Chainset.

I’ve ridden neither a fat bike or a 29er plus.

This has been a decision in the making for a while now but the Puffin funding “thing” ends tomorrow so if the driving force behind this thread. Oh and also down to me being hugely indecisive when it come to bike builds.

Bike would be used for general rad core knarly trail riding otherwise know as mincing through the flats of Suffolk.

All help, comments etc very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

coastkid
    Free Member

Sounds like a Krampus would be better. 29+ is Faster, lighter, and so more fun on flat trails then any 4″ fatbike.
    No point hauling the extra girth if your not needing the float for peat moors, grip on shale or flint,sand, or just to pose 😉

Think all sizes in stock too this now 🙂

takisawa2

Swinnertons at Cannock had a Krampus hire bike. I (we) thought it was ace, if somewhat heavy. If those wheels were in a nicer chassis I reckon that would be one ace bike. Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with the Krampus, but I honestly think they are onto something with the idea but the frame & forks are nothing to write home about. It rolls lovely, so smooth. Was expecting it to be a drag up Kit Bag hill, but it surprised me.
    Hoping to furnish my bike with some Knards on wider rims soon.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Jones?? 😉

JoeG
    Free Member

Fatbike!!! I bought mine without ever having ridden one, and I love it. 😀

I qualify as an expert on this subject because I have ridden one fatbike (mine) and zero 29+ bikes! 😉

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I was having this very discussion a few days ago in DC Cycles. It was pointed out during this conversation that since I have gubbed knees a fatbike would be a very, very painful experience and perhaps a 29+ may be a more sensible route to take.

Still can’t decide, and now starting to wonder about a 29er trail hardtail instead….

epicyclo

Doubt this helps, but I have barely ridden my very nice 29er since getting a fatbike.

If the Puffin rides as nicely as other Singulars, then that’s what I’d go for faced with your choice.

drofluf
    Free Member

Not ridden a Krampus but I’d say that they were 2 different beasts. The Krampus will be an evolution from a 29er but, compared to a fatty, not that different. Whereas a fatty is a whole new world.

epicyclo – Member
    <snip>
    If the Puffin rides as nicely as other Singulars, then that’s what I’d go for faced with your choice.

My thinking entirely!

And did anyone mention that a fatty will “make the trail come alive”?

scotroutes

You’ve lost me there…

toons
    Free Member

Considering almost everybody who buys a krampus has sold it within a month!

Get the Fat bike; you could always get a set of 29+ wheels for it.

MadBillMcMad

not ridden either but lusting after fattness at the moment.

My thinking is that if you want fat go FAT not just merely slightly podgy with love handles.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

This time next year someone will be marketing a frame and forks to take 29+ that’s far lighter and more XC than the Krampus. Wait for it.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Something to do with the way it pushes your knees further out – puts a lot of strain on them or something.

letmetalktomark

I’m off on a FAT journey ….

Mantastic
    Free Member

Fatty and krampus owner here, both are ace.

scotroutes

Well – I guess the wider BB might prove a problem for some folk, though I’d have thought it would have been very marginal.

Consider the Krampus (or another 29+) as that uses a standard sizes BB.

Just out of interest, do DC Cycles sell any Fatbikes?

sp
    Free Member

toons – Member
    Considering almost everybody who buys a krampus has sold it within a month!

Get the Fat bike; you could always get a set of 29+ wheels for it.

Well I’ve had my Krampus since May and have rode it solely since. Its been a blast and given the summer we have just had its been ideal, I run it SS. The tyres are the limiting factor – shite in mud and as thats what we now have lots of again its being retired till the Dirt Wizard is released by Surly.

Tempted with the Penguin and need to get of the fence soon as Im getting splinters T -5 hours…

scaredypants

I’m guessing that 29+ rims would fit a fatbike frame, assuming the hubs were right

sp
    Free Member

I know its the case with the Salsa Mukluk and not the On One and Puffin

toons
    Free Member

wow 75 people (so far) backed that kick starter, that’s pretty good going.

doh
    Free Member

I find the wide bb (100mm) is better on my dodgy knee

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Fatty, with some “normal” 29er wheels as an alternative?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bike decision help appreciated …… 29er+ vs Fat’ is closed to new replies.