Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Bike / Day van options ?
  • Premier Icon weeksy

Elgrands are the comfiest thing i’ve ever sat on !

Premier Icon tthew

Between 2-4k miles a year? What was that being used for?

We’ve had site vans that do that kind of mileage. Trundle round the power station a few times a day, never getting beyond 15mph or out of second gear. Temp gauge never rises from it’s stop. The engines are absolutely wrecked when they go back to the lease company.

Premier Icon franksinatra

That speed camera van looks superb and was an absolute bargain for a 31k mileage vehicle.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Free Member

£10k for a 17-year-old comfy Japanese minibus?

£8k plus VAT for a 13-year-old low mileage Vivaro? (from the speed camera van seller)

I genuinely despair.

Premier Icon sharkattack

I genuinely despair.

Despair is my default these days.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Free Member

I paid £4.5k-plus-VAT for a similar mileage and age Vivaro crew cab in 2013.

Premier Icon weeksy

I paid £4.5k-plus-VAT for a similar mileage and age Vivaro crew cab in 2013.

Funnily, the world may have changed a bit recently for some reson, which is making things like this more expensive.

I paid 41p for a loaf of bread.. they’re now more….
    I either decide not to buy bread…. or pay the extra…

Premier Icon DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

that’s a T5 though, you could spend 50 grand on it and it’d still drive like shit

Actually drives superbly but thanks for your concern. But in no way does it drive like a car due to the height/weight.

Premier Icon sotonkona

I guess it all depends on whether you’d get more benefit/enjoyment from getting a van now, (probably paying a bit more than a couple of years ago) vs. waiting for a year and your current vehicle depreciating more – as it will also be worth relatively less when more new vehicles become available and the used market gets flooded again. I am still deliberating…. I checked the value of my Golf and it’s worth a lot more now than I thought it would be.

IMO if you can, I think it’s worth investing in something that you’ll enjoy for a few years (whether that’s an Elgrand or a slightly overpriced van!) looking after it and accepting the fact it will be worth a lot less by the time you come to part ways, as with any vehicle (unless you bagged a future classic!)!

Premier Icon ta11pau1

Part of me, with the reduced mileage I’m doing, fancies selling my big diesel estate for probably a bit more than I paid for it in 2019 and buying a cheap petrol runabout for a few grand (which won’t have gone up so much), then waiting until prices settle back down to buy something nice again.

Question is, will they ever go back down? I wouldn’t want to bet on it!

Premier Icon ahsat

I’ve always wanted a VW Transporter, but a basic Euro 6 panel van, without any internal work with about 100k miles is still the best part of £20k.

Wow! I knew the prices are mad, but that’s insane! Our T6 Highline LWB T30 was a panel van with c.18k on the clock (67 plate) when we bought it in 2019 and it cost about that. The same money for a basic spec with 100k! That is crazy!

Our T6 is our only vehicle but neither of us drive to work – so its fine.

Premier Icon zerocool

Vans are great (my new one was about £35k with aim to be the new family vehicle, but I’ve owned pretty much every size van from a Mk2 Fiesta van to, Transits,a Hi-Ace, a Citroen, Peugeots a very tired but reliable Vivaro to an old LWB/Hi-Top Sprinter),I’d never go back to a car (although the wife does have a lovely car when I don’t want to use my diesel), the driving position is great, but cars usually have more sound proofing and soft fancy things (although I think my new Transit custom beats most cars on number of cup holders 😜) that you don’t really need in a vehicle (although I do love my heated seats, Bluetooth, Apple CarPlay and AC, so I guess I’ve gone a bit soft nowadays), but being up nice and high to drive is so much better than sitting down near the ground like cars, also my seats are very comfy.

But, and it is a big but, they are very expensive for what you get, sure you can spend £10k on one, but the seats won’t be as comfy (quite basic + high mileage), it probably can’t go in a ULEZ (without costing the earth), it won’t have any fancy features and you’re looking at something fairly old for that price.

Basically in 2020/21 anything reasonable was bought up by all the people holidaying in the UK so the prices have gone through the roof.

Have a proper sit down, figure out your budget and decide what you want it for and how big it needs to be. Or buy a Jap import gas guzzler which would probably do the trick as well.

PS – Vans are still great x

Premier Icon singletrackandi

I have a Honda Stepwagon RG 2008 model and it has been fantastic. I was pretty lucky as I happened upon the rare 4×4 model with rear heating, remote starting etc so it’s great in the winter (and it doesn’t get stuck in fields at the EWS). 8 seats, electric sliding doors. Great for our family of 5 and been perfect for carrying a couple of bikes about too. I do occasionally wish for something slightly bigger but then again the overall small size of it makes it super easy to drive and park (better turning circle than my Abarth and Focus ST had).
    I looked at the Elgrand and from what I remember the floor is a bit higher in them, but they are overall much more luxurious.
    FYI paid £3500 for mine and it hasn’t wanted for anything, probably get the same for it when I come to sell it.

Premier Icon jamesfts
    Free Member

Those elgrands, the seats look better than my sofa at home!! They certainly do come with a lot of kit, and as a plus you’ll learn to read japanese! 😀

Yes, Google translate is your friend but you learn what buttons you need pretty quickly. You can get sticker kits to convert to English but looks gash and takes away from the daft JDM-ness of them imo.

What’s the performance/mpg like with the 3.5l V6? Any hope of anything over 25mpg?

It’s a 2.2ish ton van so even with a 3.5 v6 they’re not quick, goes well for a van though. MPG is the killer, realistically mid to high teens pottering about and maybe up to 25mpg on a longer run depending on how you drive. Easy to see worse than that if you’re in a hurry.

Premier Icon sotonkona

Sure a non-EU6 van in a few years will likely be much cheaper as more low emissions zones appear, but I can’t see demand dropping much from a leisure or commercial perspective any time soon. I don’t think they’ll ever go back down relatively to what they were. The demand for vans has changed completely as our lifestyles have changed over the last 2 years, whether from the vast increase in home deliveries through to personal use with families using for holidays etc. and the manufacturers are getting far more savvy.

There’s loads of combi and converted vans in my area now, which seemed quite a rarity in a city a few years ago. A guy a few streets over has the new VW T6.1 Sportline Black Edition (it looks epic but too good to get mud or a bike anywhere near) which costs a tidy £45k/£50k stock! In the past that would probably have been a family SUV or an estate, but vans are the way forward!

Premier Icon couchy
    Free Member

Another elgrand here, had my ‘03 for 7 years. Originally bought for £5k replacing a nearly new £37k T5.1 that had 7 warranty claims in a year. Didn’t intend to keep the elgrand but here we are 7 years on and apart from another elgrand there’s nothing close for the same type of vehicle, we’ll not,this side of a £35k V class.
    Fuel has averaged 23mpg, normal servicing and several sets of suspension bushes. It’s been a superb car for mtb and motorbike carrying and as a day van and occasional over nighter.

Premier Icon yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You can get a motorbike in an Elgrand??? That changes everything!

Premier Icon ogden
    Free Member

Oh god… now I’m going down a Nissan Elgrand internet rabbit hole! Distinct lack of photos on here…. 😃

Premier Icon andrewh
    Free Member

An Elgrand on LPG is starting to sound half sensible….
    I had heard about van prices going mental but hadn’t realised just how much but googled after reading this thread.
    I bought my 2013 LWB Transit in 2019 with 79k for £4.5k. Vantrader now has 2013 Transits with 120k, so way more than my current 90k, asking £10k.
    More than double, despite being two years older and having more miles. Absolutely mental.
    Half tempted to sell and buy a bangernomics while I wait for the price to crash, but I do really like having a van and they might not come down again any time soon. Hmm…

Premier Icon benp1

Vans aren’t to tank in price, maybe readjust in a little while. If you’re not using it then sure, sell it, but if you are, you might as well get the memories and use out of it

I bought my T6 a few weeks before the first lockdown, took me a while to find one in the spec i wanted. Once we locked down i wondered whether I’d done the right thing, then prices went absolutely crazy. Van is worth more than I paid for it nearly 2 years ago but that’s only useful if I don’t want another van. Prices have gone crazy so buying into one is pricey, but most cars have gone up in price too

Premier Icon Mugboo

I live in Brighouse. Bradford, Manchester and soon to be Sheffield creating ULEZ zones has had me looking at big diesel estates to replace my T4, but I just can’t do it. Vans are just too useful.

I’ve had mine 10 years, I’ve looked after it and I would no doubt get back what I paid for it at the moment, madness.

Premier Icon couchy
    Free Member

Yes you can carry motorbikes in the elgrand, middle row middle seat out. Rear seats out or folded up. I’ve had in the back individually, 990 superduke, zx10r, ZX6R, MT07 and many more. I use a sheet of mdf on the floor with a wheel chock in. I’ll find photos 👍

Premier Icon couchy
    Free Member

E51bike

Premier Icon damascus
    Free Member

Half tempted to sell and buy a bangernomics while I wait for the price to crash, but I do really like having a van and they might not come down again any time soon. Hmm…

Just remember “Prices rise like a rocket and fall like a feather”

Premier Icon akbar
    Free Member

We love our T5 and we are not selling, but given the cost of vans at the moment I’d think twice if I’m honest about buying another. Have seen several 4×4’s with pop up roof tents and this is most likely what we’d do if we ever needed to replace. Bikes can go in the back, wheels off. Never understood the problem with taking wheels off IMO. Takes no more than a few seconds at each end.

Premier Icon couchy
    Free Member

Our elgrand is also used as a day van/camper with removable kitchen pod, fridge tables etc. Can fit all this in along with 3 mtb when needed. Rear seats come out with 3 bolts in 5 mins, ours are out permanently

Premier Icon captain_bastard

My daily drive is a transit custom. I love it, it’s the ltd spec, so lots of nice toys (never realised how much I needed parking sensors and heated seats).

I’ve converted the back to a semi day van, insulated, carpeted and a couple of windows for the occasional night away.

As far I’m concerned it drives great, done plenty of long journeys in it which I find absolutely fine.

But then it’s still a van. Day to day it’s full of tools, have a rhino roof rack that has had all sorts strapped to it. If I didn’t use it for work would I still have it, possibly not. It is more expensive than a car to run, things like tyres and tax are not cheap, plus the constant worry about it being broken into.

Agree about price of vans atm. Had mine 4 years / 60k miles, I could pretty much break even if I sold it

Premier Icon sharkattack

If someone can show me a picture of a full size motocross bike in the back of a Berlingo then all the Citroën fanboys will finally have my attention.

I have a YZ125 which I can’t use and it’s driving me mad.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.