Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bike computer (Strava)
  • covestiff2016
    Free Member

Hi guys

Looking for a computer for my bike that I can link my progress to Strava too? Don’t wanna spend a fortune what do people recommend.

I’m using it on my phone but it’s eating data and I don’t like carrying my phone in pocket when riding

Thanks

Tom

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-computers-gps-hrm/lezyne-super-gps-cycle-computer/11346427.html

~£100 with the offer code, decent piece of kit for half the price of an Elemnt Bolt.

joemmo
    Free Member

You can use any gps enabled computer with strava but those with Bluetooth or wifi that can sync wirelessly are a bit more convenient.

TheGingerOne

Recording a ride does not use data and uploading it at the end uses very minimal data.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Once started I believe you can turn off data on the phone and Strava will still track. But yes, phone in the pocket is risking a smashed screen in a crash (though I’ve got lazy and do it, even though I don’t Strava on the phone anyway. Just it’s easy to get the phone out for photos or checking stuff up on ViewRanger). Phone will work in a backpack though if you ride with one.

Phones running a GPS tracker are also consuming battery which may leave you with a dead phone which isn’t useful in an emergency.

So anyway, as said, any GPS tracker device basically. Upload the result GPX / FIT file etc to Strava, or in some cases to the site for the device if Strava will sync to it. e.g. Garmin devices, upload to Garmin and you can have Strava sync with it. There’s also a Garmin app for the phone that will sync with Garmin devices that use Bluetooth or WiFi. But they aren’t the cheapest options.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely the Garmin Edge 20 is the cheapest go-to device? You have to plug it into a computer to sync, but that is literally all you have to and it sorts everything out for you. Nice small compact thing.

robbo1234biking

Do you have to plug an Edge 20 in? I have an edge 25 and it syncs through the garmin connect app on my phone. This is then connected to Strava.

imnotverygood

If you have an Edge 20 how do you connect to a phone? No bluetooth or wireless

ta11pau1

I was going to suggest the edge 25 but for pretty much the same price that lezyne looks much better.

robbo1234biking

Ah right no Bluetooth or wireless explains it. I got an edge 25 cheap for £50 so never really looked at the differences between the two.

TiRed

New Gatmin 100. Bluetooth syncing is the best feature.

Ohherwise used Garmin 500 is the best bike computer.

paladin

ive uploaded from edge 20 to strava with my old tablet, so I’d think its possible to do it with a phone. Just use an OTG cable and lookup the file in the garmin

cuyahoga
    Free Member

I have a Lezyne Macro GPS that works brilliantly for my limited needs, as an upgrade from one of their older devices. Syncs to the phone via Bluetooth. Has a claimed 20 hour battery life, which even in the coldest British winter should still cover a six hour event. Highly configurable display  Could connect to sensors if that was my thing. Does simplistic navigation with pre-loaded gpx data.

Probably the best feature that I didn’t think I’d be interested in before I got it is that it draws a breadcrumb trail of your route as you go along. Nice simple way to get a feel for how far round the loop you are on somebody else’s 50 mile route …!

£85 from Evans

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bike computer (Strava)’ is closed to new replies.