Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bike choice: Whyte 529 vs On One Jack Flash
  • Dekerfer
    Free Member

Hi, I hope you are all keeping well?

After decades riding steel, 26″ and singlespeed, I have decided to make a change and get more gears than ears and 29er wheels.

These days, I ride trying to keep up with my kids in the Surrey Hills so I’m not ashamed to say that I am the typical middle-aged weekend warrior who rides a mix of XC and ‘trail’. I don;t need a topend bike but I’d appreciate something that is capable.

I’m a bit out of touch with the latest developments but like the look of the slacker ‘trail’ 29er geometry with the short stem, wide bars and about 120mm forks.

My first plan had been to get an On One Whippet but that looks very XC and steep.

After some browsing, my choice is between the Whyte 529 and the On One Jack Flash. They have the same geometry, they are both aluminium, they weight much the same, etc.

On paper, there is a price difference of almost £500 but this seems to be partly accounted for by the Whyte having a dropper (worth £150?), a Deore groupset (although 11 speed vs the Flash’s 12) (worth £50 difference?), a slightly better fork Recon vs the On One’s Judy (worth £75 difference?), and looking more classy (priceless!) than the On One.

Which would you choose and why? I’d be particularly interested to hear from people who ride the latest versions of both (the Jack Flash certainly doesn’t look like the original one….!).

Thanks in advance for any help.

dukeduvet

The 529 was reviewed here a couple of years back which may be helpful for you.

A 120mm hardtail is what I ride with similar geo and they are a lot of fun and versatile.

I would look at the On One Scandal too as complete bike is a good deal and not too dissimilar to the Whyte. As for the forks Recon over Judy I would say.

cloggy

Guy tested the Jack, excellent value but harsh. Scandel is much suaver, bit of a smoothy actually.

Dekerfer
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, that’s good to hear. Yes, I did have a look at the Scandal this evening too which has the benefit of the GX groupset. However, I can’t really find much about the MRP Raven fork apart from a poor review of the Ribbon on which it is based. I’ll do a bit more research.

joebristol

I’d be tempted to take the Whyte – even maybe over the scandal – unless that MRP fork is a big step up over a recon.

The scandal says it’s GX but the chain is a cheapie SX one and the cassette is downgraded to an 11-51 which is heavy and non sd-driver so not easily upgradeable. It also comes with cheap wire beaded tyres which I’d assume aren’t tubeless compatible. I’m sure for the money it used to come better specced with a RS 35 Gold etc. Also no dropper.

The Recon is an ok fork – certainly better than a Judy. Better damper and 32mm chassis vs 30mm – so less noodly.

The Whyte also looks really nice it has to be said. Deore 11 speed is decent too – no less range than the cassette on the On-One and 1 extra gear makes no difference for me on a mountain bike.

dukeduvet

The Scandal did have a RockShox 35 fork and as you say the MRP has few reviews.

Also look at the new Ragley Big Al or Canyon Stoic. Availability is probably the limiting things just now.

If you can find the Whyte in your size in stock I would just go for it.

Edit joebristol sums it better than I did!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d go Whyte, for no other reason than it’s not an On One.

Dekerfer
    Free Member

Thanks guys, your feedback is pushing me towards the Whyte – which is also my preference. I like the way it looks and, all other things being mostly equal, that could be the deciding factor. Also, I can’t find anyone being negative about it online. Final point in favour is that my wife has a Whyte city hybrid (disc brakes etc) which is light, looks great and had some really thoughtful touches which means it is still in great shape after quite some use.

As an update, stock was running low so I pulled the trigger on the Whyte….arrives Friday. Thanks again for the help.

cloggy

Yes I loved that city bike, thought it was brilliant. What size tyres will it take?

dukeduvet

Great! Photos needed in due course and how you find it.

zerocool

MRP forks are pretty good.
    Shimano 11 speed seems to be having much less problems that their 12 speed stuff.

The whyte is a nice bike

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bike choice: Whyte 529 vs On One Jack Flash’ is closed to new replies.