• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by daern.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bike carriers
  • batman11
    Free Member

I’m about to get a new car to me anyway and it doesn’t have a tow bar! But does have roof bars so I’m looking to get a roof mounted carrier, so what are people using for the new wave of extra long wheel based bikes which basically is what I’ve got.
    Cheers bats.

davosaurusrex

In the old days I’d just be replying to bookmark this thread ..

Also got a new car coming in a couple of weeks, was planning on whispbars and a couple of Thule 598s. My XL Fuel 29er isn’t the shortest bike in the world so now I’m wondering if it will fit?

davewalsh
    Free Member

Thule 598 copes easily with my large rocket. The arm is easy to reposition along the rail by removing the cover off the bottom then slackening a pair of bolts, therefore allowing the rack to accommodate the latest generation of long and slack frames.

davosaurusrex

Cheers, assume then that the bottom rail is long enough for long wheelbase 29ers?

CraigW
    Free Member

A 29er isn’t much longer than a typical touring/hybrid bike.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Yakima Forkchop. Rock solid, comes with adapter for all axle standards from 9mmQR to fatbike. No extruded channel section so will fit everything up to a tandem.

I likes mine.

batman11
    Free Member

I take it then uphill with the Yakima it’s really about how long your roofs side rails are? which would determine how far apart the the roof bars would go etc?

cupotea

I was all set to order a Inno Tyre Hold rack but the listed maximum wheelbase is 1200mm and mine is apparently 1255mm. I really liked the idea of leaving both wheels on and not clamping anything to the frame. It also looks fairly secure with the way the arms lock.

batman11
    Free Member

Yeah that there is the problem cupatea both of mine have a wheel base of near on 1260mm so I’m pretty sure,either of the Thule one will be longer enough. The Yakima does look good though. Just where the hell do you get them from in the uk?

pottersmtber
    Free Member

I also really like the look of the Yakima Forkchop, they are quite a neat, minimal design so could even be left on permanently maybe?.

But as batman11 said, I can’t find any UK stockists, not even on ebay?. I wonder if another manufacturer do a similar design?.

bigbloke
    Free Member

The Yakima Forklift carrier look good too from that link above.

pottersmtber
    Free Member

Thanks Batman looks like they are just about to get them in. Also it appears the Forkchop and Forklift should fit crossbars directly mounted to the roof and not just ones mounted to existing roof rails which means one less purchase and saves more money, as long as the fixing points on my car aren’t too far apart.

newrobdob
    Free Member

When I was a little lad (25 years ago) my dad bought a bike holder like that Yakima Forkchop for our Montego estate and it worked brilliantly – not as fancy as the Yakima one but so simple and effective. I’ve been looking for one similar for years and I think that’s it!

what roof bars are people using with them?

daern
    Free Member

A 29er isn’t much longer than a typical touring/hybrid bike.

Perhaps, but slack geometry makes a huge difference here. My relatively steep-tubed Tallboy 2 29er fits very comfortably onto my Thule 591, but my father in law’s Whyte G160 27.5″ only just fits on, with the front wheel actually centered on the very front of the rail when clamped into the rack. Another 2-3″ further forward and it wouldn’t be safe to carry.

ratherbeintobago

Anyone know what the actual max WB is for a Thule 598? Google-fu letting me down (though the problem round this way is more the minimum given that one of the bikes is #2 spawn’s 16er)

daern
    Free Member

Anyone know what the actual max WB is for a Thule 598? Google-fu letting me down (though the problem round this way is more the minimum given that one of the bikes is #2 spawn’s 16er)

I can’t help you with the length (although I can measure my 591 if this will help). I did used to carry around Islabike Beinn 20s (20″ wheel) on 591s and I reckon they were about the smallest bikes you could get on them. I had to clamp them on the top tube and they fitted a treat. Being honest, I never put 16″ wheeled bikes on the roof, so can’t comment on these, but I’d have been surprised if they had fitted very well.

Not a great picture, but you get the idea I hope:

I seem to remember that if I clamped it on the downtube (as you would on a normal bike), the bike was so far back that I couldn’t secure the front wheel. This way at least left the bike secure – actually, more secure than an adult bike, tbh.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bike carriers’ is closed to new replies.