Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bike carrier for longshot bikes
  • Brake-neck
    Free Member

Got my longshot RocketMAX built up a few weeks ago and have been ragging it about the valley at every opportunity, however, I went to put it on the roof a couple of days ago only to find it’s way too long for the thule bike carrier I used for the Hightower.
    Has anyone else encountered this issue with the now Cotics and if so any recommendations for a carrier that it will fit on?

roverpig

I put my (Large) FlareMax on a Thule 591 carrier without any problems. You know that you can adjust where the arm sits on the gutter bit (sorry, I’m sure there are technical terms for those bits)?

martinkiely
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve had to adjust my racks to fit my LS Solaris Max, but they do go on – not a lot of slack though! I’ve got 591’s too, and they can be adjusted – don’t know if the OP has a different rack?

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Yup it’s the 591 I have too. So you can adjust the arms position on the rail, interesting. Google time 🙂
    Thanks folks.

StuF

Someone suggested spinning the handlebars by 180 (if your bars don’t catch on the top tube), thus reducing the wheelbase

singlespeedstu

Atera Ebike ML is what you want.
    Takes my large G16 with ease.
    Atera Ebike ML rack.

jeff

How are you guys adjusting your 591s? When I tied moving the clamp back, it was then at the wrong angle to sit flat on the roof bars.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

The Atera E-Bike or Thule VeloSpace XT seem to be the best bets for long bikes.

sharkattack

Thule 598 here I think. New version of the 591?

Fits my Geometron but the front wheel dangles a bit. Any tips on how to adjust it very welcome.

It’s been all over the Alps and back without issue.

joebristol

I’ve got a 598 with a size ML Bird Aeris on it and there’s plenty of room I think. It’s a fairly long bike even in an ML.

eyestwice
    Free Member

I’m struggling with both bikes on a 591. Can’t see how the arm can be moved, so the front wheel is always very close to overhang.

Am I missing something?

cb200
    Free Member

Take the rack off  the car, loosen the allen bolts underneath, slide the clamp/arm part back, and tighten again. Then put back on the car.

The clamp will probably end up on the curved part of the rack – this isn’t a problem functionally as it still clamps very securely.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Ah, that’s what I thought the problem would be. If it still works OK though then I’ll whip it off and give it a go. Thanks.

hatter

Roof racks are limited in how long they can be,if they’re too long they risk hitting the boot as it opens and putting the glass out.

That said, we have a 599 Upride that can take my mate’s XL Mondraker so they can handle pretty long bikes.

masterdabber
    Free Member

Someone suggested spinning the handlebars by 180 (if your bars don’t catch on the top tube), thus reducing the wheelbase

Thanks for posting that StuF….  Not related to the Longshot but….

I’ve fairly recently taken up mtbing (long time roadie -sorry) and have an Atera Strada DL rack and I’d experimented to see if my Bossnut would fit on it. I wasn’t happy with how much overhang there would be but tried the 180 degree handlebar turn and it fits nicely. In fact the wheel cups are in pretty much the same position as they have been for my roadbikes… so, cheers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bike carrier for longshot bikes’ is closed to new replies.