Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Bike carrier for a new style VW Scirocco
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

Right, rather excitedly, I am about to commence car shopping in a few weeks (time to replace Mrs PixelMix's micra!)

Top of my list is a new style Scirocco (assuming the pint-sized Mrs PixelMix can see out the small back window okay). Anyone seen a roof or boot rack suitable? I would probably prefer roof bars and I suspect a boot rack would foul on the spoiler anyway.

VW's website doesn't seen to list suitable roof bars and I don't think Thule have any yet. It has been out for over a year though, so hopefully there is something available. Any experience?

wombat

I saw a 10 reg Scirocco in Ambleside yesterday with a set of roof bars fitted and a bike carrier (and bike) on them, couldn't see what sort they were but looked OK

jam-bo

tow bar and one of these thule xpress 970

Vortexracing

2nd jambo

towball and a thule

sorted

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks Chaps. Prefer the idea of roof bars this time around, but will keep the tow bar in mind. Good to hear there is something available. – now I just need to find it. Off to the VW dealer in a couple of weeks so they may have suggestions. Unfortunately I think we might need to choose something else as I'm sure Mrs P will complain about rear visisblity in a 'Rocco.

jam-bo

and towbars give you a nice hard buffer from parking knocks…

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I'd email these people: sales@roofracks.co.uk

I can't see anyone that lists a rack for a Scirroco. Best find out in advance! VW will royally stripe you. Get Thule aero bars with a Pro 591 carrier if you can.

Martin_pendle
    Free Member

I couldn't fit our SOR rack on the boot, spoiler and general shape issues. Roof Rack or a discrete detachable towbar would be your only options.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Tow bar on a 'Rocco. Cue Nelson-from-the-Simpsons 'ahaaa' pointing and laughing.

Isn't a base Scirocco Golf GTI money? Know where my money would go, especially since Scirocco drivers seem to think motorways are race tracks for their use only and that other drivers are parasites who shouldn't be in their way.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Had another gander and it appears that VW have their own one listed on their site (although the accessories brochure isn't availabe to get decent details), but as you say, I'd rather have some Thule ones for the reputation and the price. Ta for the email address.

Thomohawk
    Free Member

If you want to have roof-bars as an option….. don't get the glass roof!

Thomo.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Yeah, can see that glass roof ending badly! I've heard it makes the interior sound tinny anyway so it's not on the shopping list.

DBW – Looking at the 160BHP 1.4 TSI, so a good bit cheaper (to buy and run) than a GTI, and IMHO, better value than the equivalent Golf (although that is what we may end up with!)

Rocketdog36
    Free Member

Dont forget to leave room for the hair straightners 😛

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

They are good cars – Golfs are too common and driven by the angriest men in Britain – especially in 2.0TDI form.

Those that slag them off undoubtedly drive something they don't like or have lovingly chavved right up. I think every car slagging comment should be followed immediately by what car the slagger runs. 9/10 times it will be a Focus/Mondeo/Astra/insert any mainstream car owner.

Pook

"I want a scirroco."

"scirrocos are rubbish, I'd buy something else instead"

Typical STW.

A detachable towbar would be your best bet I reckon. But if someone pulled up in a scirocco with a roof mouted rack I'd be jealous on two counts!

😀

ibis
    Free Member

Its a Golf with a different dress on !
    Same running gear and floorpan
    On top of that VW make you pay extra for it ( Now spot the suckers). 😆

Thomohawk
    Free Member

pixelmix – Member
    Yeah, can see that glass roof ending badly! I've heard it makes the interior sound tinny anyway

Can't say i've noticed, it does seem a tad extravagant when it only tilts open a couple of inches, i.e. it doesn't slide back!

Cracking motors tho…. happy shopping!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I don't believe anyone said they were 'rubbish'? Typical STW… people commenting without actually reading whats on the screen.

Don't get me wrong, they're lovely looking cars. They just seem to be driven by **** generally.

Pook

'tis but a summary in essence DaveyBoy. Ever such a sensitive soul…. 🙄

pixelmix
    Free Member

Haven't encountered any c**** driving them personally, so hopefully the reputation won't catch on. I still find that I see a lot of agressive BMW drivers around (but I probably just notice that since they have the reputation in popular media already). The range of opinions is always fun on STW. It would be boring if we all owned the same stuff anyway.

I prefer the Scirocco to the Golf since I don't need 5 seats, and prefer the squatter looks. That, and they are still a bit rarer than the Golf, and it is nice to have something slightly different.

No doubt I'll be back in a few weeks to report that Mrs PixelMix doesn't like the rear window, so we're having a Golf, Leon or C30 instead, and everyone will be proclaiming that something else would be far better!

Thomohawk
    Free Member

They just seem to be driven by **** generally

Cheers DBW…

FWIW – you make yourself sound like a bit of a **** posting comemnts like that.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Scirroco's are just driven by squares, who wished they had the money for a bmw

pixelmix
    Free Member

Scirroco's are just driven by squares, who wished they had the money for a bmw

But squares who can spell Scirocco.

Is this off topic enough yet?!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Pixel – go for the C30. Great looking, decent engines and very comfy. Leons are just low rent Golfs. I have hired two – both broke down.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Surf-Mat, I do like the C30, but reckon the VW has the better engine. Mrs P's parents and sister both have C30s too, so not sure we want a trio!

Leon looks to be reasonable value, but the interior photos look a bit cheaper.

Think we'll also look at a 1-series coupe (although rear wheel drive for Mrs P driving to work at 7am in winter puts me off, and I don't think she likes the looks) and a MiTo (bit smaller and not sure about that beak).

Drac

They are good cars – Golfs are too common and driven by the angriest men in Britain – especially in 2.0TDI form.

**** off are they!

Scirocco are very nice, I love my Golf and bought that as it's more practical for me and I'm also one of the angriest men in Britain.

cp

back to the rack thing – I'd be much more inclined to go with towball mounted rack… something like this (mate of mine has one and they're excellent!)

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-accessories/atera_strada_dl_3_to_4_bike_carrier_uk_lights_no_ar2603/njNA_v1HqTo9~w7HCO3kxz3uBtkB,~4RYoJEYzTmI#myGallery-picture(5)

partly as fuel consumption is a little better than with roof mounted (but still worse than none at all), partly as you can get into car parks with them, but mainly as there's a lot less stress on either the downtube or fork dropouts than the roof mounted ones.

dab

What about a Civic type S Diesel ?
    Roc's are pretty cars tho

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Drac – I'm a Golf fan boy – had a mk2 and 3 Gti (16v) and a mk4 R32 – just seem to get tailgated by lots of TDI Golfs (and Audis).

Pixel – are you looking at thrifty engines? The C30 does come with a very "green" option but as you say, three might be a bit much.

I'd get a Golf over a Leon any day.

As for the 1 series – the rumours of BMWs in the snow is true – mine (a 3 series) is so bad in ANY snow or mud that I simply left it alone and used the other car three weeks this Winter. What makes then good on road makes them the World's worse off roaders – Winter tyres do help though. The 123d is very nice though and rather quick.

Civic diesels kill clutches – very known and common issue.

Back to racks – I just find the roof mounted rack soooo easy to fit. And the bike stays cleaner. Wouldn't like to try and put a heavy DH bike on the roof though!

Brycey
    Free Member

I've had a lot of hassle with the Thule bars scratching my mk5 roof, anyone know if VW ones are any better (presume it's the same anchor system)?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks for the various comments on the various topics – keep 'em coming! (although this is looking like being increasingly in the wrong forum).

Looking for a reasonable pace, reasonable economy engine (1.4 TSI VW 160bhp ticks both for me). I'd rather have petrol than diesel, but if getting a C30, would probably go for the 2.0D diesel R-Design, so not totally against diesel. Think the "green" C30 1.6D might be a bit weedy for my A road blasts around Scotland.

Might look at the Civic Type S too. I'm sure it's very good (and I suggested a friend get the previous civic), but the current style doesn't really do it for me though.

I have a boot rack on the micra, and prefer the idea of the simplicity of roof bars next time around (would only have a couple of lightweight XC bikes on it, no big heavy DH stuff). Lots of votes for a towbar though, so will examine further. Would rather not obstruct the boot though, and I guess towbar + a fancy rack that folds down = expensive.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Pixel – I was admiring a 2.0D R Design yesterday (yes I'm sad!). Very nice indeed. Based on the Focus floorpan/chassis which is a good thing too.

Drac

Drac – I'm a Golf fan boy – had a mk2 and 3 Gti (16v) and a mk4 R32 – just seem to get tailgated by lots of TDI Golfs (and Audis).

Well get out of the way then. 😆

sssimon
    Free Member

pretty sure you have to drill the roof skin on a new sciroco to fit roof bars

I've fitted a few pendle and hollywood strap on racks to them in the last couple of weeks and they are spot on

pixelmix
    Free Member

drill

😯

Not sure about drilling a brand new car!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thomohawk – Member

They just seem to be driven by **** generally

Cheers DBW…

FWIW – you make yourself sound like a bit of a **** posting comemnts like that.

Boo hoo. I drive 120 motorway miles a day and I've yet to see a Scirocco pootling along at 70. They're generally attached to the car in fronts bumper.

Pook

whytetrash

Mate uses a saris bones on his without any drama

RustyMac

Hi pixelmix,

I'm sure you will get a Thule roof rack for the new Scirocco, i have seen one on a car up here in Aberdeen. I have a polo, which doesn't have rain gutters or mounting points similar to the new Scirocco and have a Thule roof rack fitted to my car.

My choice would be the Scirocco out of thoes cars think the new ones are really nice,

cheers and happy shopping

Rusty

Trekster

Sciroco all the way.
    Serviced the very first one(Mk1)when i was a mech, many moons ago now 😕
    Current motor is a Touran. Have had Polos, Golfs, Jettas over the years.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Bike carrier for a new style VW Scirocco’ is closed to new replies.